5.0 out of 5 stars Best little all in one printer that truly is a space saver
Published 20 months ago by bobbyinpa

2.0 out of 5 stars Great promise, poor execution
Brother MFC-J4710DW All-In-One Printer

Wow, this printer is so packed with great features and capabilities, I was disappointed to have to return it. But the serious problems completely overshadowed the promised features.

PROs

* Wireless (or wired)

* Pretty fast

* Double-sided printing

* Double-sided...
Published 17 months ago by Kevin Killion

5.0 out of 5 stars Best little all in one printer that truly is a space saver, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Brother Printer MFCJ4710DW Wireless Color Inkjet All-in-One Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax (Office Product)
This item was so well packaged that it took two of us to remove from box, a plus for protection. Instructions were easy to understand and setup was a breeze on my mac. Very quiet, prints fast, and very configurable . Two paper trays make adding paper less of a worry now. This unit can handle up to legal size and ledger size paper with ease, but also handles 4x6 photo paper and envelopes with no problems.
Touchscreen is very responsive and connecting via wireless was so easy. Photos are printed and look good, but you will want to tweak the settings for optimal end results.
Software is great and integrates in a mac well. I tried the software on my friends PC and again, easy and simple. The back of the unit has a manual feed for 1 sheet at a time and all paper sizes can be used.
I have read people saying the trays were weak, but I do not find that issue at all. This is built much better than any Epson, HP, or Canon I have owed. A plus is how sharp and attractive it looks on your desktop. Airprint via iphone or android is a piece of cake and works well. I am finding it does not eat ink and if you feel you need to re-allign the heads or clean the print heads that process is finishes in record time. I have mine set to sleep after 1 hour and I never hear any noise coming from my printer. Buy this excellent printer and enjoy more desktop space and ease of operation. Kudos to you Brother!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great promise, poor execution, June 17, 2013
Kevin Killion (Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
Brother MFC-J4710DW All-In-One Printer

PROs

* Wireless (or wired)

* Pretty fast

* Double-sided printing

* Double-sided scanning

* Two input paper trays

* Can print up to 11 x 17 inches! This is possible by an innovative "sideways" design in which a document is printed 90 degrees opposite from what other printers do.

* Free phone support for the unit's life

CONs

* Many delicate-feeling plastic parts, such as adjustments, little paper guides, doors, and the paper trays themselves. I never felt confident that these parts would hold up over a long life, such that breaking any of them could cripple functions.

* Can't print normal legal-sized envelopes without leaving a nearly 1" gap on the left edge. I spent some 50 minutes on the phone with tech support people at Brother about this! They tried numerous options. They even used the "Let Me In" software to take control of my computer and try it themselves. After asking me to place samples of the bad printouts on the scanner glass, they were even able to take control of the scanner so they could see for themselves what the result looked like. Nothing worked! The closest they could get was to change settings so that the return address started at about 1" from the left edge. That worked, but it's not professional looking and would look even worse if I tried to add a logo there. (On the other hand, printing on an old HP printer worked just fine.)

* Printing envelopes smeared the ink

* Printing envelopes had text glitches, such as characters badly formed and bars in the bar code not separated properly. I suspect this is due to the different feel of a normal legal envelope versus plain paper

* Multiple paper jams, in just a few days of working with this machine. This is especially annoying since ...

* ANY AND ALL error messages, such as a paper jam, required pulling the plug! In this situation, I could find no way to "clear" the messages without a complete power-down. Pressing and holding the power button had no effect. I had to actually pull the plug, and since the cord is permananetly attached to the machine, this required crawling on the floor each time.

* Print dialog on the Mac has two distinct "Paper Handling" popup menu items. One was the real command, the other led to nothing.

* Print dialog on the Mac made it very difficult to specify the tray to be used for paper. It's there, but a lot of hunting is required. Although it's more buried than necessary on the PC printer dialog, it's much more accessible than the one they have for the Mac.

* The relationship between the settings on the printer for what kind of paper is in the trays and the settings in the print dialogs on the computer is by no means obvious. I kept on getting printouts directed to the wrong tray. Especially annoying is that only the top tray can be used for special papers (e.g., envelope or photo stock) so it's important to get the printer and computer to correctly agree on what's where. Perhaps the answer is in the 196-page flimsy manual printed in tiny type, but I cherish my eyes too much to wade very far through that.

* When printing a PDF from the Mac, there were *LONG* delays (two minutes, perhaps) after clicking the print dialog's OK button and anything happening. Printing a PDF from the PC worked fast.

* Some text printouts appeared light, greyish

* Initial setup was excessively complicated

* Could not install from my Mac, since Java was required and that is no longer supported on that Mac. I had to use a PC to install.

* The install software announces that it is possible to setup for wireless printing without using a USB cable, but I could not find any reference to where such a thing is described

* The "Quick Setup Guide" (ha!) is 46 pages long!

* The full "Basic User's Guide" is a stunning 196 (yikes!) pages of TINY type in a miniature font, with flimsy, thin paper. Isn't it ironic that a printer would be documented with a poorly designed manual?

* Software appears to be a conglomeration of lots of separate modules, which is one of the things I disliked about HP in the first place.

* I could not figure out how to scan a PDF to the Mac. I was able to do this to a PC.

CONCLUSION

The innovative sideways printing technology and the boatload of features on this printer are very appealing and desirable. But too many practical problems keep it from fulfilling its promise. Maybe Brother's next versions will deliver the promise better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome all-in-one!, June 4, 2013
maldasi "maldasi" (New Jersey, United States) - See all my reviews
Easy set-up: just follow the instructions to avoid future problems due to incomplete set-up.
Very pleased with the double-side printing/scanning capabilities and printing quality.
Since the paper is handled horizontally, this printer has a more narrower footprint than the average ones on the market.
Very easy cartridge access, handles legal and ledger paper, dual paper trays and it looks great in my office.
No regrets!
Brother has a great customer service and it is known for low ink cost on their printers.

Job well done Brother!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase, August 17, 2013
After reading extensive printer reviews online and considering the best use of my money for several days, I decided to order the Brother Printer MFCJ4710DW Wireless Color Inkjet All-in-One. Pros: 1) can hold about 300-400 sheets of paper total in the paper trays. 2) I did not hook up one cable or need a CD to set up or install the printer. Both my wireless router and my Macbook "saw" the printer on the network, and printing capability was immediate. 3) printing was faster than my last 2 HP printers, colors are clear, and text is very crisp. 4) easiest and most sensible cartridge loading set up I have seen in 20 years. Cons: 1) The printer is taller than I might have wished, but I wanted a lot of capacity and features--like two large paper trays and a scanner--so I'm willing to live with a bigger machine. The actual footprint is very reasonable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prints fast, August 6, 2013
This is a nice printer, I left off a star because it jammed first thing three times and frustrated me. It does develop a line in it when printing on glossy paper after a lot of prints and you have to adjust the settings too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother is the new champion in printers, January 29, 2014
I have struggled as a corporate I.T. professional for many years with HP's printers, driver issues and high cost of materials. I bought our first Brother printer almost 10 years ago, an HL 1850 workgroup laserjet, and we just retired it! No repairs, only new drums and toner for 10 long years.

We recently started buying these MFC all-in-one printers for all our remote locations, and they are stellar, dependable and never break.

Bravo, Brother! You have me as a customer for life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not very sturdy feeling and needs special paper for photo, July 23, 2013
I purchased this approx. two months ago--not from Amazon. I already had an excellent Brother black and white laser printer and thought I would get rid of my HP 8500 which does not allow for printing with smart phones and tablets. Therefore I decided to give the 4710 a chance. This is an attractive "small foot print" printer which was easy to set up on a PC and a Mac. No problems printing on regular paper--but trying to print photos was frustrating. The Costco brand premium glossy photo paper, which worked flawlessly in the HP simply did not work in the brother 4710--the paper is too heavy to feed into this printer. the paper simply falls under the paper tray and the printer displays an error message which requires opening and closing various "doors" on the printer to clear the message. Eventually I got two photos to print--they turned out good but that was it--I simply could not get any more of the Costco photo paper to feed into the printer. I had an old package of Kodak glossy photo paper which was lighter in weight---that worked but the photos did not come out as well probably because the Kodak paper was several years old. The paper trays (this printer has two) are made of EXTREMELY thin plastic--not made for heavy use and certainly not "Business Class"--be careful when handling them. All that aside, the printing and scanning functions work well. The scanning function is very fast and I like the fact that the scanned items can quickly and easily be emailed to where-ever. The Ipad and the Android phone both work very well with the printer. Have not used the fax via phone function since I am happy with the scan to email function. The two sided print function is interesting and work well--the printer prints on one side then pushes the page out and pulls it back in to print on the other side. The printer seems to use ink efficiently--it is still on the starter cartridges despite frequent use over the two month period. Going back to the photo print issue--I will order the Brother photo paper to see how that works--it seems relatively expensive for approx $12.00 for 20 sheets compared to other brands including HP. Also forgot--printer seems alittle faster that the HP 8500--it takes alittle bit to warm up for the first print--after the first print it is fast. Where as the HP took considerable time to get ready for the first print. The 4710 is definitely not as fast as the laser printer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best unless you really need larger paper, August 31, 2013
I bought this printer because it seemed to have all the features I needed, plus it could handle the rare occasion when I need 11x17 paper. After using it for a few weeks I wish I could trade it in for something else. It is advertised as a fast printer and it might have a high average ppm rating, but it takes a long time to print the first page. And, since I usually print only 1-2 pages at at time that makes it a SLOW printer for me. Also, BE ADVISED - when I do print a longer document it stacks the paper in reverse order so any time I save with "fast" printing I lose in re-ordering the pages. Of course I can select "reverse pages" as a print option but that slows the printing down even further. Paper loading is another area that is painful. The paper trays have to be fully removed to add paper which is a lot more hassle than other printers where the paper just slides in. I used to slip an envelope in the paper tray of my old printer when I needed a quick addressing job. With this one it is enough of a pain that I just hand-address individual envelopes. Bottom line: it does a decent job of printing but overall it is not a good choice unless you really need to use large paper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good printer with major flaws, January 20, 2014
Although I did not purchase it from amazon the printer is good with major flaws which does not make it worthwhile. I will be returning mine soon. The scanner cuts the top part of the page by half an inch using either the flatbed or adf feeder. So if you have something at the top it will not scan that part. Strangely I went to a store and tried other brands from brother and they suffer from the same problem. I tried all the settings, paper options but it did not help. Hope that brother can fix this through a firmware update or something. The print quality is mediocre and it could have been better, especially with color. With that said the printer has some very nice features such as automatic duplex scanning and printing which is awesome. I did not have any paper jam or wireless problems. The printer does make very weird noise when printing. At first I thought the printer was bad but turns out to be normal for the printer. Hope this review will help someone in their decision to get this printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best All-in-One for the Money Period!, May 9, 2013
It does it all, is simple to set-up, super tech support, ink if you buy the high yield is the least expensive out there for ink that is from the manufacturer in lieu of refills which over many years have not had good luck with. Highly recommend this model. Brother makes some of the best printers as well as many other items for the money spent.