4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome features, poor print quality!
Edit 3/15/2014:
I just took my review from 2 stars to 4 stars. This really is a pretty good printer and I would recommend it, as long as you know up front that you will have to do some tweaking on the print quality (you have to read the comments below)...

Published 8 months ago by Scott A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Great As I Had Hoped!
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome features, poor print quality!, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Brother Printer MFCJ6920DW Color Inkjet Multi-Function Center with Scanner, Copier and Fax (Office Product)
Edit 3/15/2014:

Also, I want to thank those that have added their findings in the comments. This review would not be complete without you!

Here is my original review with a few other edits along the way:

At this time, this is Brother's new, Flagship printer. It has every bell and whistle you can imagine. I needed a printer that will handle Legal (8.5x14) paper. This printer will do that and does up to 11x17 paper. So Legal size paper should be no problem. One advertised feature that impressed me is the ability to copy or scan duplex (two sided) paper in one pass. It is also supposed to print duplex paper in one pass. Hence, it should be faster and it would be less likely that it will get a paper jam flipping the paper over. I'm not sure how much we will use this, but it is nice knowing it has that ability.

I have tested printing from my Android cell phone and it works. My prints came out the size of photo paper (about 5 by 7). I have not looked for a way to select the tray or paper size yet. But I can see how this ability will be useful to us.

Installation: I read in a review the software on the included CD is out of date. So I did not even try the CD. I went to the [...]site and downloaded everything I thought I would need. There are a lot of pieces to the software and doing this is a real pain. (Edit 1/28/14 - I believe I downloaded and installed more software than was needed. I now believe there is only one software download required. I believe it is the first one in the list on the Brother support page for this printer.) Also, the printer came with C firmware. At this time the latest firmware is G. So plan on downloading and installing the latest firmware. I think that is a lot of firmware levels for less than a year. It makes me think they released this printer before it was fully tested and ready. (Edit 1/28/14 - Wow, got notification of another firmware release today. I still need to download and try it. I will let you know if I can see an improvement in print quality. I'm hoping that Brother has been working on this issue.)

My biggest complaint is color printing and copying. The text is not that great either. As I mentioned above, this printer has every bell and whistle you could ever want. That is way cool. But if it does not print well, it seems to me that the advanced features are not important.

This is Brothers new top of the line personal printer. I just can't believe the poor quality of the color prints. When I removed my old Lexmark printer, it has about 6 pages in the output tray. As soon as I got the MFC-J6920DW setup and tested, I decided to try copying these pages. I wanted to see how the document feeder worked. The pages were a combination of text and color graphics. The colors were bright and vibrant going in, but the output looked nothing like the originals. The bright beautiful color was gone. The colors looked pastel and washed out, like the printer is trying to save ink. I tried copying the same pages with the printer set to "Best" rather than "Normal". These prints took for ever, and there was a only a very small improvement. They still looked nothing like the original pages my old Lexmark had printed. So, I called Brother support to see about changing the settings. Well, guess what, there are only two settings (Normal, and Best), and I had already tried them both. They had me try darkening the copy one step, but still no joy, and now the text was too dark and starting to loose detail.

Conclusion: The paper handling capabilities of this printer are amazing, and seem to be very robust. I don't think it will ever jam. (Edit 1/28/14)- I have now had jams; but always a result of me letting the paper out tray get full. The jams were a pain to get out as there were several pages in various places. I think it will be easier in the future now that I know where the doors and flaps are.) And all the advanced features are great. But lets face it, the most important thing an All-in-One printer should do is print well, and this printer just does not. Scenic photos I have printed using the best setting on plain paper look just horrible. I have not tried photo paper yet, but doubt it will fix the problem. I have been through all of the settings, and even call Brother support, and I just can't get the print quality to improve.

This printer is a perfect fit for my requirements, but the print quality is simply unacceptable. What a shame, Brother has some amazing technology in this printer. If you are picky about print and graphic quality like I am, avoid this printer. However, you may not be able to find a printer that has this ones paper handling capability. In that case, get it and lower your print expectations like I have.

Edit 2/27/2014 - Hey guys, make sure to read the comments to this thread. There is some very good information in them. There is information on using photo printer paper and setting the color density to get better print quality. I believe the color density feature was added with the latest firmware update.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible Number of Tools - But You Need Space, November 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When you use a multi-function printer, what you gain in convenience you give up in desk space. The Brother Printer MFCJ6920DW Color Inkjet Multi-Function Center with Scanner, Copier and Fax is no exception to this rule. The thing is huge.

The combination of an excellent scanner with the rare ability to scan up to an 11x17 document, a built on document feeder, a fax machine, 2 paper trays, a comprehensive graphic display, and of course the printer all add up to a unit that will take up significant amount of desktop space. The printer is about the size of a 10 ream case of LTR paper if you add 4 more inches of width. Clearly it needs it room to operate.

With the exception of its bulk, the printer is very easy to set up and can be adapted to a computer or network wirelessly or through a USB printer cable. The wireless function is simple to engage and definitely a cool feature. Software installation is simple. You should be up and running within 30 minutes of opening the box.

Starting from the the top of the printer, it is pretty amazing to see how the tools are packed in. The lid opens up into the document feeder which has a 35 sheet capacity. I tried running different quantities of paper through the document feeder and found the actual, reliable capacity to be closer to 10-12 sheets which is still great for a consumer grade machine where document feeders are not a common feature. The scanner which can be accessed by lifting the lid (or the doc feeder) scans fairly quickly, about 7 seconds per sheet. The scan quality is very good for both documents and photographs, as good as any other scanner I've ever used. There is a scan to fax function but I can't comment on it as I have not used it yet since I do not have the printer hooked up to a phone line.

Below the scanner is the printer paper output tray. There is a tray extender on it which catches the paper as it leaves the printer. When it is pulled out (which it needs to be to catch the paper which really shoots out of the printer when finished) this extension sticks out another 6 inches or so from the front of the printer. I found this to be a problem because the printer is so large that there are really not many spaces which can accommodate the extra width (nearly 2 feet!) if it is left pulled out. If it happens to be next to a traffic area, there is a very good chance you can walk into the extended tray and damage it. In the space we have it is necessary to pull out the tray every time we use the printer and push it back in when we are done to avoid damage. Given the design of the unit, there is really no other place for the paper to exit, so the tray is a necessary evil.

Below that are the two paper trays which have a combined capacity of 500 sheets and can accommodate LTR, LGL and LGR sized paper as well as their European equivalents. We haven't loaded 500 sheets in yet, but have had no problems with jamming or paper feed with up to 300 sheets.

The printer quality is very good. I don't have a great deal of experience with ink jet printers since we most often use a laser printer, but on a high quality setting, the ink printing is on par with the toner prints from a laser printer for black and white documents. We have not run out of ink yet but when we do I will update this review. I can already tell that the scan to print capabilities are limited by the amount of ink available. We will only use this printer for scanning and printing the occasional documents instead of a more regular use because of the ink capacity compared to the far greater capacity of a toner cartridge. Color prints are impressive and actually have far more accurate and easier color matching than a consumer grade color laser printer. Reports printed on the Brother are sharp, colorful and look really good. The inking is consistent and doesn't saturate the paper. Even sheets which are heavily inked (like those with a colored background) are flat, smooth, and professional looking.

This is a great multi-purpose tool which should please anybody who has a need for everything this printer provides, especially with the wireless capabilities and the oversize scanner. If you don't need all the extras and just want a scanner or just a printer then obviously the size of this thing makes it an impractical option for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, November 21, 2013
After several years of use, my MFC-6490CW Brother AIO started giving me poor quality printouts, and nothing I tried would fix it. So I opted for a new one. This MFCJ6920DW is perfect, even better so far than the MFC-6490. I loved my old Brother AIO, but this one has all the features I wished the old one had. Evidently the folks at Brother listened to the customer feedback. This one has duplex scanning and printing, smarter paper selection, more custom settings, better document feeding, faster communication with the pc, smarter scan capabilities, and many more. I was a bit shocked to see that it has top and bottom side scanning. I guess the extra hardware was not cost-prohibitive.

Software installation was a cumbersome process, taking almost an hour to install the full "suite" of programs. On my secondary pc, all I needed was a simple priinter driver, but even that took 15 minutes and crashed near the end. Fortunately it succeeded anyway.

The ink cartridges are inexpensive ones that do not include the printheads. That is a good thing in the short term, because of the lower costs. In the long run, it may be a liability, because you cannot easily replace the printhead if it wears out or becomes hopelessly clogged. On my old MFC6490, I think that is the case and so it is now mostly useless except as a big scanner.

The document feeder works faster and better than my old one. I saw a drop in scan time of over 50% while doing a multi-page pdf scan (on both sides at that). That made me very happy. No more combining of alternate pages after the scan.

The fax machine part was a simple setup and worked perfectly with my existing answering machine/phone.

Delivery was fast and the box was in perfect condition.

As with the older unit, I will add to this review over the months and years with my experiences.

****Followup #1 on 12/24/2013: Not much to report so far. Works as well as I expected. The one thing I do not like is the noisy paper feed which has a very loud thud when a single sheet is fed. Nothing wrong with the printout but I can't help but wonder if something is wrong somewhere inside.

p.s. For those of you disappointed in the color prints (as am I), try photo paper before giving up. I was shocked at how much better they look than on plain paper. Don't forget to select photo paper in the setup.

****Followup #2 on 3/15/2014: As before, nothing to report except that this unit is still working fine. I have not yet updated the firmware and it is several versions behind. "If it aint broke...". After 4 months of use, I just now replaced the original black cart. The other 3 are still original, and this unit is used daily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for the price, November 13, 2013
Patrick (Des Moines, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Brother MFCJ6920DW Color Inkjet printer was extremely easy to setup. I have mine wired into my network. Setup required only plugging in a power cable and network cable. My Mac's all found the Brother printer with no problems. This printer replaced an older HP that I always had problems finding from my Mac. I'm sure the wireless setup takes a little longer but I would guess that it's still straight forward.

The MFCJ6920DW's print quality is good for the overall cost of the printer. Printing and scanning over the network is quick and problem free. I don't have a need for 11 x 17 printing but it's nice to have the option.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Great As I Had Hoped!, May 14, 2014
Brother should of designed the printer to have a small extension tray on the back of the printer also just like the one that's in the front of the machine. Trying to place a paper size of 11' x 17' in the back of the printer is a real pain. Half the time the printer doesn't grab the paper right away and the paper falls out. I have to hold the paper with one hand while trying to press the buttons on the front of the printer.

Then.. it's not 100% aligned straight when the print comes out. Most of the time the print is slightly crooked on the paper.

And what's the big deal when using tray #2 for the same size printing that it won't accept an Inkjet setting and the printer has to be set to ledger border-less and plain paper only or the printer refuses to print period.

If you want INK JET quality printing on plain paper you have to fool the printer by telling it that you're printing on INK JET paper. For b&w printing, set the contrast to MAX and the brightness to MINIMUM to get deep black results.

On the plus side I got mine, including shipping, for $210.95 and it came with a SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC High Speed Class 4 Card with MicroSD to SD Adapter and Mini SD Adapter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scanning & Printing Within 45 Minutes of Opening the Box !, October 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is perhaps the fastest and easiest printer install I've ever done. The printer box has been sitting on the living floor near the front door for a couple of weeks because the box was so huge I became concerned about where I would put the printer. So I finally unboxed it today and did all the set up on the floor of the living room.

Installing the cartridges was a cinch, as was setting the date and time. Then I installed the CD in the laptop and started the WiFi installation process. It has always been my experience that something goes wrong during the process of connecting the printer to the computer - you find you need another driver, or a different cable, or some piece of software that isn't on the CD, or the software interferes with something else already installed on your computer.... But not this time! Though the software took awhile (~15 minutes) to install (while I browsed the web and worked on other stuff), everything installed flawlessly. I printed a test page immediately and, though the printer is rather noisy, it's super fast and the quality is superb. The print is much crisper than our older HP 700 series all-in-one printer, so this will no doubt become our primary printer now.

Then I found a few old images, one really old black and white from the 1950's, and one color from a cheap throw-away camera, and scanned both. The scanned quality was quite good, and the scans were completed quickly. The larger flat bed will now allow me to scan many old photos and documents that I've been wanting to digitize for a long time. I don't intend to use the fax capability of this printer, so cannot comment as to the ease of set-up, though the scan and print quality would be just as good as those 2 features which I tested and found quite satisfactory.

Since we can now print and scan wirelessly in our home, the location of the printer is almost irrelevant. It doesn't need to be in or on the desk - I could even place it in a closet, as long as the wifi signal is not impaired.

The only negative part of my experience with this printer so far is the fact that they included only "starter cartridges" in the box. This probably means that I'll have to buy fully loaded cartridges right away. I deduct 1/2 a star for that peculiar decision by Brother.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is a super-awesome machine!, November 26, 2013
I don't give five-star ratings often, but this multi-function knocks it out of the park for me. Copier. Scanner. Color Fax. Inkjet printer. Double-sided. Sheet-feeder. 11x17. WOW. I run a small company from my home office and I needed something that would scan several pages at once to fax or email.

It took me all of 20 minutes to setup. Very intuitive and the instructions, when you need them, are well written. I wasn't looking for some high-end photo scanner / photo printer. I just needed something to get the job done. This machine does it all quickly and efficiently. The copies are very quick as are the scans. I have a Brother color laser printer as well and both of these machines perform well above my expectations.

I noticed that some people were complaining that this unit is LARGE. Not really. It's only a little bigger than my color laser printer. No, it won't fit on your desk just like your laser printer won't fit on your desk. You need to put it somewhere where you have office machine counter space and a wireless or wired network connection. It's designed for SOHO multi-user use, not your personal desktop.

I'm impressed with the VALUE of this machine. I wish we had equipment priced like this a decade ago!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good so far, March 1, 2014
I just received this printer two days ago and set it up yesterday. It was very easy to set up. As others have pointed out, it's a very large machine, but I wanted a printer large enough for ledger-sized paper. I've printed, scanned, and used the automatic document feeder so far, and it all works well. The print quality is very good, even from AutoCAD.

The only criticism I have of this machine, and the reason I didn't give 5 stars, is that the paper tray bypass is on the back of the machine. It's very inconvenient to have to move this behemoth away from the wall and put an envelope or blank check into the bypass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great right out of the box, December 12, 2013
Very easy setup, including wireless - making it instantly available to any of our five computers, three smart phones and two tablets. I bought this Brother product because of a terrific experience with a Brother laser printer -- low cost, high productivity, high reliability. I wanted an ink jet so I can print color photos, and I went straight to Amazon -- my favorite seller for everything -- and looked over the Brother offerings. Although we're low volume, I chose this rather high-end printer assuming I'd get features and quality I would appreciate, and though it's only been set up for an hour, I'm already very impressed with the quality of the output. Very crisp black and white, which is 95% of our use. No inkjet is as fast as laser printers, but this unit is fast enough for just about anything. I like that it automatically prints two-sided. I like that it takes oversized paper -- I like that it can scan to OCR or to a pdf file on my computer -- and I really really like that I can sit it anywhere and we can all share it wirelessly. This is a feature-loaded printer and I'm expecting Brother quality. Incidentally -- I also bought a moderately priced sewing machine from Brother this year. That one is still wrapped for Christmas, but I'm expecting high quality from that direction also.
I have been an enthusiastic Amazon Prime customer for years, and have become a Brother customer for life, as long as the products continue the tradition of exceptional reliability.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works great if you don't need to fax!, February 19, 2014
dsjr2006 (West Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This unit is being used in a small business and everything about it is much better than the old Lexmark x264dn that we were using. I was easily setup on our wireless network and works great for Printing and Scanning wirelessly to Macs/PCs/and iOS devices.

The large screen is excellent and easy to use and the print quality and speed is fine.

The problem is that we still receive quite a few faxes and this unit has continuous communication failures. Brother support indicated it might be our line so we had a new line ran (not an issue with the Lexmark), we then had a traditional wireline installed by another provider since we had been using Comcast digital voice. Despite all of these changes this machine still does not reliably send or receive faxes yet our old Lexmark can just fine. After all of the troubleshooting it is now out of the return period and Brother will only send us to have it serviced, but they indicate it is functioning just fine.

Rate and Discover Movies