Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 19, 2010
This foot helps you to create perfect 1/4 inch seams easily & quickly.
As another reviewer noted, it is important to check your needle
position after attaching this foot to your machine. The hole that
the needle passes through is small, and if your needle is not in the
correct position it will hit the foot and break.I have a
Brother CS 6000 and the default needle position is to the left,
instead of in the center. So, BEFORE you begin sewing with
this foot, you have to position your needle to the center. It is important
to remember this if you have been sewing with this foot, but turn the
machine off, because when you turn the machine on again the needle positon
will automatically revert to the left, and you will have to reset it to the
center before you begin sewing again.
If you cannot tell by eye if the needle is aligned with the hole in the foot
use the handwheel to gently lower the needle above the hole. This way you
will be able to see if it is aligned without breaking the needle.
This is a great price for this foot, as well.
1515 comments|274 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2009
Hey, I recieved this item very quick. I also recieved detailed instructions to use it.
It really helped me uniform in my quilt piecing. I would think anyone could benefit from this foot.
The price was the lowest on the net too.
11 comment|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2011
I really enjoyed using this foot and having the guide until I needed to pin my work together. The fabric slid smoothly against the guide and gave a straight seam. And the price was great. The seller initially charged me for shipping although the offer said free shipping, but refunded that as soon as I sent a note asking why I was charged. If I never used pins, I would give the product and the seller a five-star rating.

However, if you are using pins, you must remove them well before they get close to the guide because the guide will not lift over the pins, and I like to leave my pins in until a stitch or two before I stitch over them. Also, if you are stitching along a diagonal line for half-square triangles or flying geese, the guide does not glide over fabric. These are the reasons I gave a three-star rating to the product. For these purposes, a foot without a guide is a better option.

As with any foot, you must also test the seam allowance using three pieces of fabric or you may not get a 1/4 inch seam with the default needle position on your machine. Cut three pieces of known width, e.g., 1.5 or 2.5 inches, and sew them together. Then measure the finished width of the middle piece after pressing. If it is 1 or 2 inches, respectively, then you have a good 1/4 inch seam for the thread you are using. You may have to test several times with different needle positions to be sure you get a true 1/4 seam.
33 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2010
This quilting foot makes putting a quilt together so easy. I don't know what I would do without it. If you make quilts order this foot!!!
on February 6, 2012
I ordered this by mistake thinking I was it was a quilting foot (which is what it is named). But being a new sewer I had no idea how it was used for quilting. After reading the instructions, I discovered this can be used to piece together quilt blocks or anything that has a narrow seam (1/4" wide). This is ideal for things like doll clothes and other projects that have a narrow seam. The guides help me sew a straight seam. I saw some other comments that this is essential for a home sewer...after using it, I agree!
on November 23, 2010
Finally! A Brother foot that sews a true scant 1/4" seam! Hallelujah!

I got this foot yesterday, and I am amazed at how easily I can now sew a scant 1/4" seam, every time. I easily sewed a perfectly matched star for the first time without stretching and pulling or easing the blocks just to make the seams match.

I have the Brother SA125 foot, and the Distinctive version of this foot, which looks just like it, and I couldn't make either of them work. The SA125 may be good for some Brother machines, but mine doesn't have a right needle position, so I always had to guess where to place the fabric to get a 1/4" seam. To use the SA 125 on my machine, you have to glide the fabric just a little bit to the left of the right edge of the presser foot, which means you can't see what you're doing. It's maddening. I wonder if Brother is now making this SA 185 to work with cheap-o machines like mine, without right needle positions, because the SA 125 doesn't work with them.

The Distinctive doesn't give you a reliable 1/4" because the bar is too loose (at least mine is), so it's inconsistent.

This Brother SA 185 makes it truly easy to piece together blocks. I'm so relieved to have found it.
on January 18, 2015
Love this piecing foot. I realize most people using it are probably quilters, but I use it to sew on bias tape or do my topstitching. Helps keep the fabric perfectly straight. Works great on my Brother SE400 machine.
review image
on May 11, 2010
As a newbie to sewing and quilting, this foot has made it so much easier for me to get my seams even. My project is moving along so much more quickly and less frustrating. I would highly recommend this foot to any quilter. It was well worth the price I paid and arrived very quickly.
on December 4, 2009
I have a brother pacesetter pc-2800. The foot fits fine and has helped me make a quarter inch seam. The only real problem I have is that there's only one hole for the needle and the default position for the needle on my machine isn't lined up with the hole. I have broken a zillion needles on this foot :-(
88 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2012
This foot is practically useless to me. It fits fine on my snap-on ankle, however when I tested the width of the seam, it was about 5/16". My machine is vintage and I cannot move the needle over. I also notice that mine did not come in a Brother package like the Amazon listing and did not have any packing list with it. I think they sent me a cheap knock-off and that is why it is inaccurate. I will be leaving poor feedback for Sew Affordable products. There is a reason that they price it so cheap and charge high shipping for a little sewing machine foot. I give it one star because it fit my snap-on ankle and was sent promptly. But it is not good for it's stated purpose. So this will end up in my sewing junk drawer.