5.0 out of 5 stars A great typewriter
I received this for a gift and am extremely happy with it. I love to write short stories but often have writer's block, so I'm excited to have a new format. The best part about this typewriter is that even though it's electronic, it still makes the familiar old "clacking" sound as you type, and has the familiar typewriter font--really sets the mood for creative writing...
Published on May 17, 2009 by KM

1.0 out of 5 stars total loss
after unpacking the item would not set up. It would not operate. Unpacking instructions were followed with great care. Set-up instructions were followed with great care. The support unit of Brother was telephoned in accordance with instructions and I was instructed to take the typewriter to the nearest authorized repair center - a mere 49 miles away, I was informed...
Published on April 20, 2011 by George Conlin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 417 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality., March 3, 2011
BH (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
This is really a poor quality machine. Every single time I take it out to use it, I have to run a test sheet through to make sure the ribbons are lined up - they get knocked out of place extremely easily. Can't tell you how many red-ink, scannable IRS forms I have ruined in the beginning when I kept forgetting to test it and the correction ribbon was out of place again. In general, the construction is pretty substandard. Definitely go with a Smith Corona instead.

UPDATE: As has been mentioned in the comments, Smith Corona hasn't manufactured typewriters since 2005. Best I can tell, Brother is now the only company in the entire world selling typewriters.

UPDATE: Used this typewriter for over two years now, and still a piece of junk. Luckily, I don't need it very often - pretty sure it would have fallen apart if used on even a weekly basis. Apparently, most of the reviewers here are happy with theirs, so it's possible I just got a lemon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, May 26, 2013
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
This is the first typewriter I have purchased in more than 15 years, so was not sure what to expect. Was pleasantly surprised at the reasonable price, and the efficiency, such as memory. Purchased it more for filling out forms, typing envelopes, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Repeat User, October 13, 2013
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
This is the 4th Brother typewriter I've purchased. I bought two for work and one for home over the years. When I retired, I gave my personal one away thinking I wouldn't be needing a typewriter - well I was wrong. Even though I have a computer I still prefer to use a typewriter for file labels and envelopes and other small jobs. I just purchased this model and I love it. Its a great typewriter - a little work horse - simple to use and reliable. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
I use this every chance I get, from addressing envelopes to typing thank you letters to family. I hate writing by hand (spoiled by tech), but I feel a typewritten letter is still far more personal than a digitally printed one. Has a bit of a learning curve to get used to all of the features, but the booklet is well written and basic functions are quick & easy to learn.

4.0 out of 5 stars It will do, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
I'm mostly happy with this typewriter. I just wanted something simple, which this is. Keep in mind it is very noisy. It does make the "clicking" noise, which is fine, but it makes a loud "humming" noise. Also, it came with ribbon and correction tape, but the correction tape did not work, so I had to buy new correction tape. The spell-check feature is neat - after a word it will beep if the word was spelled incorrectly. Not much to say about it other than that. It's my first typewriter, so I don't have much to compare it to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have preferred a plain electric typewriter, but I couldn't find one., November 9, 2013
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
I bought this for my mother, but you can't use it without having the manual open to find out how to access all of the settings. All we really wanted was an electric typewriter.....just a plain typewriter. These things have turned into word processors an almost rival a computer with their abilities.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll give it a decent chance to prove itself, but..., September 7, 2012
East TN MountainMan (Seymour, Tennessee, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
I bought the SX-4000 today after reading the reviews here and immediately began testing it. My main complaint is that I can't actually see the characters that I'm typing onto the paper. However, there's a two-key code that can be entered that will cause the platen to roll up one-half space after each key is pressed so that each typed character briefly "shows itself" until the next key is pressed-but that's not very satisfying and it feels clunky. On my old college non-electric typewriter I was able to review the word I had just typed by rolling the platen up a couple of clicks to reveal the typed line and then rolling it back down a couple of clicks to accurately re-position it for continued, correctly-aligned typing. Problem is with the SX-4000 the platen doesn't "click" incrementally, it simply rolls smoothly; one can't be sure that the next character that's typed will be aligned with the previously-typed characters. Not good. I'm pretty sure I will return it to the store this weekend.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love going back to the typewriter, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
This is a great typewriter. To tell you the truth I do not do a lot of typeing but I now can get what I want out within minutes. No longer do I have to mess around with the computer and printer trying to figure out the spacing, how far down on the letter or envelope to start. No more wasting envelopes and paper trying to get it right. And the best part is no more running to the store for and ink cartrage for the printer because it had dried up!!!!! The best thing I have bought myself in a long time period... Don't mess with the printer anymore, buy yourself this typewiter and be stress free....

Bill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great typewritter, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
I bought this specifically to use during tax season to type up the 1099 forms.
I used it in the mode where I can preview the line before it actually types it and it was great!

I have used some other typewritters in the past and they were horrendous, especially when it doesn't have the preview feature... one typo and you have to start over.

This typewritter was easy to use and the preview mode is just great! Saves me time and frustration!

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived DOA, June 17, 2013
This review is from: Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter (Office Product)
Opened the box. spent a bit of time trying to set it up. printed the wrong letters. Checked with Brother support. the results?? said The typewriter required service. Out of the box and it needed service. Draw your own conclusion. JUNK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 417 | Next ›