The manufacturer commented on the review below
4.0 out of 5 stars Straight out of the box easy to use
Published 11 months ago by R. R. Riley

2.0 out of 5 stars This machine is too limited on design capabilities
Published 10 months ago by Bladen's Mommy

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Straight out of the box easy to use, October 7, 2013
This review is from: Brother ScanNCut CM100DM Home and Hobby Cutting Machine with a Built-in Scanner (Misc.)
I am an avid crafter and I own a variety of other digital and manual cutting machines. I enjoy them all in one way or another. What intrigued me about the ScanNcut was the ability to fussy cut my rubber and clear stamps quickly and easily. All I have to do is stamp my image on cardstock run it through the machine, highlight the cut area on the onscreen display and decide whether I want it to cut with margins or not. Quick and easy and the machine cuts so well. I am very impressed.

It cuts thicker paper nicely (unlike my Cameo) and it does small detailed cuts really well (which my Cricut cannot always do).

I have tested this machine with stamps.

Fussy cutting elements from pattern paper.

I have cut chipboard and bazzill.

I have welded letters onscreen to form words.

I have scanned in shapes I have found on the internet to make cut files.

I have made cut files from my own handwritten designs.

It has done well at every job. I wish the screen were a bit bigger, and I wouldn't mind a stickier mat (though using painter's tape to hold the edges of paper works really well), but all in all and I am thrilled with this machine and I love not having to turn on my computer to use it. I give it 4.5 stars.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 18, 2013 9:48:53 AM PST
I am so glad that you shared all of these great features and techniques that you have accomplished with our great new product!

5.0 out of 5 stars USB, September 28, 2013
You can't hook it to a computer but you can bring images in with the USB port. Save an image to the flash drive and plug it into the machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars YIPPEE - no more dies!, November 17, 2013
peg2 (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I've waited a long time for a machine that didn't require dies. It's always driven me insane that you pay a fair amount of money for a cutting machine, then you have to keep paying and paying as you buy dies. I do a good amount of my own design, so a die cutter just wouldn't (pun intended) cut it.

Not a problem any more. I make up my design in Photoshop or Illustrator, print the image, and scan the image into the ScanNCut. I scan my fabric (I'm not a scrapbooker; at least, I'm not yet), position the design where I want it on the fabric, and tell the machine to cut it. WOW - no more wobbly cuts that have to be fixed before they're appliquéd. And the ability to make any shape - lettering, silhouettes, anything - if I can draw it, I can cut it.

It took me less than an hour to get it set up and figured out. My first project was for my mom - she wanted fabric circles, pinked, in the right size to use as covers for jars of her canned garden produce that she plans to give at Christmas. I drew a circle in Illustrator, added the zigzag effect to get the "pinked" edge, and printed it. I scanned the print on the SnC (BTW, Brother knows this is a pain, and they're working on making it easier), scanned the fabric, positioned the design on the fabric, and set the machine to cut. This sounds like it must take forever, but, really, it's faster than drawing the circles on the fabric and cutting them manually with pinking shears. I had the whole bunch finished in about 5 minutes, and they were perfect - lots better than manual cuts.

I think this is a great thing - Brother hits another home run with this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars This machine is too limited on design capabilities, November 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not new to craft cutting machines. I've had theCricut Mini Cutting Machine, Cricut Expression Electronic Cutting Machine, and Silhouette Cameo Starter Kit Bundle Cutter. I thought that since this machine is Brother brand and advertises it's ability to cut appliques, that it would work with my Brother embroidery machine, but it won't. I had even seen a machine in my local sewing shop and they said that it could cut appliques with the PES software, but after contacting Brother, they said that is false. The embroidery machine and the Scan N Cut use completely different files and there was no way to use them together. So, that was a big let down. I have software for craft cutting machines that works on my Silhouette Cameo and my original Cricut Expression, but won't work on the Scan N Cut because all the other machines take SVG files, but this one takes FMC files. I read on the website that Brother is working on cloud based software that will allow me to convert all of my SVG files into FMC files, but I wonder how much that will set me back? I like the scanning feature, but don't like that 99% of the things I want to cut I can't find a clear image for. Even when I do find a clear enough image, I have to waste ink printing it out on my printer, then scan it in and try to edit, size, and move the image on the tiny screen. I much prefer using a computer screen with the virtual mat, then just positioning the paper to be cut on the mat and pushing cut.

I did attempt to cut Oracle 651 vinyl on the machine following the settings recommended in the little start up guide. It recommended cutting on a blade setting of 4 on the turquoise blade. That cut way too deep. When you cut vinyl, you only want the machine to cut through the top vinyl part, not all the way through the backing, so I tried it on 3 and it was still too deep, so eventually I set it on 1 and that was perfect. It cut through only the top layer leaving the sticker backing so I could peel away the negative space and use transfer tape to apply my vinyl to my project. I cut card stock successfully using their recommended blade setting of 4, but it left deep cut marks in my mat, so I reduced it to 3 and that worked fine without such a deep cut on the mat. I would definitely recommend playing with it to see what your preferences are. Cutting that deep all the time will wear your mat out in a hurry and they are pretty costly. Which leads to my next issue with this machine. The replacement mats and blades are more expensive than the replacement items for the Cameo. The tools that this machine comes with look like toys in comparison to the Cricut and Silhouette brand tools. The edges aren't sharp enough to really get under things and there's no hook tool at all for weeding vinyl.

My overall thoughts on this machine are that they should have waited until they had the SVG software to release it. They really jumped the gun. As is, it doesn't even compare to the Silhouette Cameo's design capabilities. They should also be very clear in their advertising that this machine doesn't work along side the embroidery machine to applique designs. I'm learning that many other people thought they'd work hand in hand as well. If they release some amazing software that makes this thing great, I'll update my review, but as of right now, I say go for the Cameo instead. The scanner is very nice on this and it would be a great machine if it had the design capabilities that other machines have, but it just doesn't. My fingers are crossed that they get it figured out and release something. It has so much potential.

*Update*
Since writing this review, Brother Released the Canvas program on 11/08/13 that allows you to design projects on your computer to cut on the Scan N Cut in an online program. It works ok, but doesn't allow you to download svg's as of yet. The Brother website say's it's coming, but it the ability to cut or convert your SVG files is not available yet, and my biggest gripe about the software is that I still have to put my design on a flash drive and plug it into the machine. I wish it was like other cutter programs that allow you to use a printer cord to plug your computer directly into your machine, then do everything on your computer, but feed the mat and change the blade depth. This still has a long way to go to compare to those programs. I would still recommend the Silhouette Cameo and software over this.

4.0 out of 5 stars From a complete non-craft person, this worked first time, October 26, 2013
John S. Dean "John" (Sturtevant, WI United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I saw this in the Vine program and thought it would be an interesting thing to try. I have a 10 year old son so I can picture a few uses for it, and despite all the technology in my house, I have nothing that can do anything like this. So keep in mind, this is coming from someone who never used one of these before, didn't even know they existed. If I can use it, I would imagine someone who actually knows what they're doing and how they can put crafts together should be able to do some serious magic with it.

Unboxing is easy, it's reminiscent of a printer, removing the tape holding things together and in place, and just one bit of cardboard around the pen holder to remove.

I had not given any thought prior to getting this to wonder how things are held for cutting - the large mat is somewhat tacky on the top surface, so you pull the protective plastic off of it, and place what you want to scan, or what you want to cut, on that.

Today we were studying state capitals for his fourth grade test. We have eleven states from the south east of the US that he's memorizing the names, capitals, and abbreviations for. His teacher had handed out work sheets with just the outline of the states. So I thought that would be the perfect thing to give it a test run with.

I placed that on the mat, selected the scan option, and scanned it to the device. You can scan to USB stick if you want as well. That went fine, and I was able after the scan to select on the touchscreen what part of the scan I was interested in. I selected the area with the state outlines, selected, and saved it. I would've been more impressed if it let me name my files I save to the device, but it gives them arbitrary names. I guess they felt that with the browsing ability on the screen, you can find what you want by looking at the images themselves. I still would've preferred a naming ability.

It scanned fine, so now it was time to do some testing. I happen to have some black construction paper laying around, so I cut a piece down to size, put it on the tacky mat, and set it up for the cutter. The instructions give you a little diagram showing different materials and what settings to choose for both the machine and the knife, so I got the knife set to the right number (simply twisting the end which makes the blade protrude more or less) and selected my scanned image from the device's memory. I had anticipated it would cut the outline of the entire area rather than each individual state, but to my surprise, it actually cut every line it saw in the scan.

Anyone who has used a plotter will be used to the movement. In and out, left and right, it just kept jumping the knife around and moving the mat as needed.

Inside of about three minutes, it pushed the mat out with the finished product (I've uploaded photos to demonstrate). I have to say, I was very surprised. Other than a couple spots where it didn't quite cut completely (a couple state corners, but it was a very low quality source picture to start with so that's not a shock) everything was ideal.

The provided spatula helped me lift each state off of the cutting mat, and my son was ecstatic since he loves puzzles. Immediately he was taking them to the table to put together.

The unit is small, and the construction is very solid. Since there's almost no moving parts externally, there's nothing that feels like you could pop it out. The odd thing is the display - I over pulled initially and yanked the supports out of the unit so it was loose. Fortunately it's well built, and it was easy enough for me to get the little braces back where they go and it works just fine now. It supports three positions for viewing, and I had been expecting something that simply ratcheted via friction to hold any angle, like my printers do.

All told, it floored me how well it worked with someone like me doing some simple tests like this. I scanned a few more shapes, some simple solid figures, others a little more complex. And everything I tried to cut, came out just as it should.

For people who do this for either a living or just as a hobby, who will really be able to use it to it's advantage, I think it's a pretty impressive little tool. I personally like the ability to scan, since you can't plug it into your computer and send things to it directly, so at least this way if you can't get a compatible format to save to a USB stick to plug in, you should at least be able to print out what you want, then just scan it and cut it.

For the price, it's pretty impressive, even to a neophyte like myself. I've already got some ideas percolating in the back of my head that I'd like to do with the holiday seasons coming up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for cutting fabric for applique!, December 20, 2013
I am brand new to the electronic cutting world, and I'm hooked! I recorded my first session with this machine, from opening the box to successfully cutting batik fabric for embroidery machine applique:
[...]

A few comments after about a week of using the ScanNCut:

- Not being familiar with electronic cutters, I missed the step of twisting the blade until it's extended all the way (watch your fingers!) then dial it back to the setting you want. I'm working with blade depth=3 or 4, pressure=3 or 4, and speed=2. Start low on the blade depth and work your way up. I had heard stories of cutting through the mat, but I haven't had that problem by starting light. Take time to test your settings with the test feature!

- While using SteamASeam II worked well without the paper backing on the standard mat without the high tack addition, LEAVE the back on Floriani's Appli-Kay Wonder. It is a much stickier stabilizer, and took forever to get it off the mat. So I suggest testing with the paper left on the stabilizer first! I haven't tried the product that came with the machine yet.

- Whoever suggested using non-alcohol unscented baby wipes was a genius! Works very well for removing lint and re-energizing the stickiness on the mat.

- Whoever suggested using painters tape to help secure edges -- that didn't work for me. Ended up with tape stuck to my scanning window and had to take off the bottom cover to get to it. Thank you Brother, for making that area accessible!

- I highly suggest purchasing the additional Scanning Mat. It's not just for photos. By using a mat that came with the machine, there are additional lines that the machine tries to cut. Even with cropping the design area the best I could (I put multiple designs per scan). I purchased my scanning mat from Ken's Sewing Center.

- I'm loving the cloud based Brother Canvas website too. I modify a machine embroidery design to its placement stitch and export to SVG format, convert to FCM in Canvas, save to USB, and cut out my applique fabric! No wasted paper in this process. While one block is stitching, I can be cutting out my next block.

So glad I bought it, it's taking my applique projects to a whole new level!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Product - Reasonable price as well, October 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Out of the box my daughter and I tried this "machine wonder" out. After a few hours of trying it out, we couldn't get over it's potential in making life easier for us. Wonderful machine for scrapbook, quilting and other craft projects.

It draws, scans & cuts out quickly and neatly. The cutting is clean and overall the machine is easy to operate right out of the box. It has terrific cutting and printing potential. We loved the ease to change directions as well. The ability to draw your own design, scan and the cut it allows you to be so creative. One of the best features is no more expensive cartridges to purchase.

The Brother Scan N Cut is.....Life made easier for crafters and design enthusiasts. There is LIFETIME customer support for this product as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Fabric Cutting Limits, January 30, 2014
Joyce B. "Joyce B." (Farmington Hills, MI) - See all my reviews
I actually purchased the blue machine from a dealer, but they are basically the same machine with the blue being more pricey. I needed to cut 208 2 1/2" squares. First, you need to use the support sheet. Second, I would recommend that you use pinking shears to cut the fabric to cut down on lint and thread that sticks to the sticky sheet. This will save the support sheet from losing its stick. After cutting 95 squares I needed to replace the support sheet. Also when the stick gets weak, the machine doesn't cut fabric well. I find it easy to use, or user friendly. However, I feel that the videos are somewhat misleading as to how "easily" it cuts fabric. I have not tried paper or anything other than quilting fabric however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Machine..., October 3, 2013
susan (Johnston, Iowa) - See all my reviews
Update: This machine is saving me so much time cutting clipart. As the saying goes, time is money. I did a lot of cutting with this since I received it mostly in the direct cut mode which is what I bought it for. This is what I have discovered: It does not like anything pastel or flesh colored like hands (I drew a line around my clip art in another program before printing and solved this issue). You need to keep things away from the edges or it will not outline to cut. Make sure your paper is very attached to mat or it jams after it scans
I make and sell favor boxes and I use a lot of clip art which I have been hand cutting and this works perfectly to cut out my characters and saves tons of time. I do not think it will replace my Cameo but that's OK. I do like that it does not need a computer.
The mats are expensive and do not last very long...the edges breakdown and will not load. This is a negative!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Discovered, January 12, 2014
So far has done everything I have wanted to do but.................just discovered that will only work with certain USB flash drives (chart found online at Brother site) Many USB flash drives are not compatable with this machine. Since I have several different brands most won't work with this machine. Wish I would have known this before purchasing. Most listed I have not been able to find locally. Otherwise really enjoy using this machine.

Rate and Discover Movies