5.0 out of 5 stars It works well, good quality full feature printer
Published 13 months ago by warrantyfreak

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer for the price but with some compromise
Overall this is a solid performer for being one of the lowest priced MFC printers out there, but there are some compromises.

Published 8 months ago by Richard S. Margolin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It works well, good quality full feature printer, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Brother - Wireless All-In-One Printer MFC-J475DW (Office Product)
I like this printer because it works well and has important features. Prints come clear and fast. The wireless set up is easy, the fax works flawlessly, the copy machine too. I haven't tried the scanner yet, but I'm sure it will perform to satisfaction. The features that I like the most about this printer is its speed, the wireless capabilities (I can easily print from several laptops around the house and from tablets), the automatic feeder, and the double-sided printing. The automatic feeder is a great feature for me because it makes it easy to load originals to either copy or fax. The double-sided printing saves me paper and space. It also offers several printing preference options to save ink, including a "ink saver" mode. Overall, it's a full feature, good quality, solid printer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer for the price but with some compromise, December 28, 2013
Richard S. Margolin (Santa Barbara, CA United States) - See all my reviews

Initial setup was simple and I greatly appreciate the lack of bloatware (as opposed to HP printers). It prints and copies very fast, is efficient with the ink, and OEM replacement cartridges are among some of the lowest priced in the market.

Resolution isn't the greatest, but it is as advertised.

So far, though, I have a few gripes:
1) Setup from disc failed to properly load the "ControlCenter" app, which enables initiation and customization of functions from the PC. I will note that finding Brother's recommended solution (to uninstall all of the scanner driver files, which are sprinkled across your system's libraries) was easy and informative. But it was an addition 25 minute process.
2) Scanning is insanely slow! It takes 1-1.5 minutes from launch of the ControlCenter to the moment the scanned image is produced on your computer screen. When you factor in my next issue (#3), you're looking at a time span that makes scanning of multiple items in a session unappealing. I'm used to total scan times in the ~30 second range on an HP Photosmart.
3) Scanning output isn't as intuitive as other printers. This is the trade-off with the lack of bloatware. In this instance, the scanner isn't smart enough to detect an image's boundaries and constrain the output scan to those. There are pre-defined settings, but it takes awhile to sort through and memorize them all for easy/quick retrieval.

Overall, the compromises are worth it relative to the lack of hassle the machine generates relative to anger-inspiring devices from HP>

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, August 12, 2013
I have owned this printer for a short time and am happy with it so far. I picked it up for $69 at best buy on a tax free weekend. The first unit I purchased had an issue or two. It was misfeeding about 1/5, and though this is costly it was not the major reason I called customer service for Brother. Without going to sleep, if I let it set more that two minutes between prints it would go through a 3-5 minute warm up procedure. =0|. Knowing I only had about 15 days to turn in the unit if I didn't get this hashed out I went in to the Store and was prompted not to even bother figuring it out and bring it back. I am very glad that I did.

The new unit is fast and makes one sweep of the mechanism even from a rest before making my print (a delay of only 5sec) very doable. The wireless set up and printer settings were complete in under 10 minutes. It took me longer to remove all the old drivers and printer form my system preferences than to add this printer. Print quality is good and though I have not tried photo paper yet I am still impressed.

And I like the idea of only replacing the ink well that is empty in stead of replacing all of them just over one empty well...really. what a waste of money.

Love the printer, so far, and like being able to support a local company.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's my Brother to the rescue!!, January 9, 2014
I had an Kodak printer but hadn't used in a while and when I tried to remove the ink I broke the carriage, which turns out to be a common issue if it sits for a while. So I was looking for a highly rated printer and checked out Amazon and the local stores as well, and this unit kept coming up. So since I did own an older 420cn that still functions, but lacked the wireless I need now, I purchased this one to replace my broken Kodak. It was easy to set up and the driver disc was easy to install on one of my laptops, but my newest thin HP lacked a drive, so to Brother support I went and downloaded the driver, set up was a snap. What I liked about the printer is the print cartridges load from the front and not to the carriage. Now I do not have to open the top of the printer and maybe I won't break this printer. prints fast and the cartridges are cheaper than the HP's I've owned in the past. The lcd screen is a little small but can be seen with my glasses, so not to big of an issue. The 875DW version is the same except that it has a touch screen and no buttons. So I decided to save a little and go with buttons. I'm pleased with the printer so far. The other consideration that helped me decide was the availability of ink cartridges from local retailers and Amazon, seems everyone has them in stock with Amazon's price a little lower than the retailers....SOLD!
Thanks Amazon for another quality product and service!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely more to this than meets the eye!, February 4, 2014
I have to say, I bought this printer for a steal. I oftentimes look at reviews prior to making such an investment because I want to know beforehand of any discrepancies or issues with the printer or available warranties. Quality, performance, and functionality also play a huge role. I'm specific to reviews on the actual product (more about that in a moment). I do my fair share of Amazon orders every month, and take care in both reading reviews and leaving them as well.

I just bought this printer, BUT I didn't purchase it through the Amazon. I purchased it at Best Buy. The cost was over $35 more through Amazon. Total cost through Amazon: over $90. Cost at Best Buy: $50 (including ink).

I was pleased to see that no additional equipment or accessories were needed. It what was all inside the box. Most printers are WiFi capable anyway, but many still require an Ethernet cord. All this required was an outlet. Simply put, I plugged it in and was done. I haven't set up the WiFi yet, but I'm looking forward to using it for school projects and various other small home office type tasks. I can print from my tablet (I have the 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tablet III), and my iPhone 4. The printer comes with software to download to your computer, and an App to download to other wireless devices. So far as I can tell there is no limit, everyone at home can download the App and print wirelessly. The ink cartridges were simple to install, especially with the simple step by step photo instructions provided. This process was done practically on it's own. I never thought I'd invest in multi-cartridge printer ever again after my previous experience, but technology had advanced since the last time I bought a similar one (different brand, 6+ years ago). If you focus on printing only black and white documents, you save an incredible amount of ink. In fact, the black ink for this printer sells for $15 (again, Best Buy).

Now, about the shady reviews: it's the same scenario I've seen many times. This printer isn't meant for a large company/bigger office use. It's most effective as a personal desk printer at a desk, or even as a fax line, but it's not meant for large capacity printing. I see people waste money and posting negative reviews when they assume they are saving by purchasing a home office/personal printer expected to keep up with the high demands of a large office. The result would be going through massive amounts of ink and paper. You will also find yourself on the market to purchase yet another printer as this one will burn out due to overuse. So, if you are looking for the same type of printer to be used on a larger scale, I encourage you to research and invest in the next step up on the same printer. Amazon has a full line of products to fit your budget, and the descriptions will tell you in which capacity the printer can handle (whether it's meant for office use or personal, they have it). Lastly, the review should be on the product itself and it's performance. Yes, a review that includes taking a trip to a local repair store does testify to the performance of the printer, but not when the review deviates on a long rant about the terrible customer service. Amazon reviews are meant to be used to inform potential customers about the actual product.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far it's been great!, February 6, 2014
Amazon Customer (Port Orchard, Washington) - See all my reviews
I was trying to find a reasonable printer that actually works. I bought an Epson and had nothing but problems. It stopped working and the scan stopped all together. This has a little tweek. I think it might be the Windows 8 with the scanning, but it works. The 2 sided print pulls the paper in to print both sides, a very nice feature. The wireless setup was easy and worked the 1st time. The photo print is not stellar, but it prints photos fine.
I would recommend this as a good choice for a low price printer! Thanks Brother!

3.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't buy it again, March 23, 2014
Pros: Prints fast, quick setup, cheap generic ink

Cons: Below average print quality, jams a LOT when printing duplex, feels extremely flimsy (some of the cheapest feeling plastic I've ever seen on an electronic)

5.0 out of 5 stars High value printer, December 21, 2013
I wanted a low cost of ownership printer with ADF scanner , B/W, and Color options for 8.5x11 and WiFi. This printer does them all well without loading all the bloatware of HP, Canon, and Epson. I just plugged it in, told it how to connect to the network and then installed with Win8 driver for PC and was off to printing and scanning. Very easy.

My only complaint is that the print from SmartPhone app does not appear to work with this printer as was advertised. However, I have a Windows Phone 7, so perhaps it works with the Windows Phone 8 only (not sure).

5.0 out of 5 stars GLAD I CHOSE THIS ONE!!!!! THANKS TO ALL THAT REVIEWED!!! IT WAS A BIG HELP!!!!!, August 4, 2014
Have had this printer for a week now. Will try and remember to review again in about six months. The printer was absolutely easy to set up. I have never set up a printer, pc, or anything electronic before in my life. I am just one of those people who is happy that they understand how to use the latest "clicker" with their cable service. This printer is being used for a personal printer only. It had everything I needed plus, but was the printer I felt had the best reviews when it came to setting up. The whole process took about an hour, maybe a little longer - not because of any issues, it just takes that long to boot up. I put in the CD to set-up and followed the step by step instructions and each step of set up completed with no issues. No calls to Brother for help, no redoing any step. The printer is quiet and wakes up in seconds. So far I have only used the print feature and the copying feature. Like I said above will try and review again in about six months. It is set up with WIFI.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pay up and get something better., March 27, 2014
Hasn't worked from the minute it arrived unfortunately. I bought it as a printer to use infrequently so thought I could save money by buying a cheap printer. Bad decision. First it couldn't connect into my home wifi (which was admittedly a few years old), next it jammed every 2nd time I tried to print anything. The latest problem is that the print head has stopped printing in black ink. It's going back to the company now.

In fairness I will say that the customer service people are very helpful but this has just been a 2 month headache. Save yourself all the bother and get a better quality printer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›