Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Format: Blu-rayChange

on December 31, 2008
I don't understand how people didn't like this movie.... I take that back. I expect that people didn't like this movie because they expected something smarter. For the record, don't expect this to be an intelligent comedy. It's not. At the same time, I think it's absolutely hilarious. I'm a firm believer in setting our own expectations. If you expected Twister to be some amazing, epic film, then you were probably disappointed. If you expected it to be a movie about a tornado, you were most likely entertained. The same applies to this film. Don't go in expecting an artistic masterpiece. It's crude, rudimentary comedy, and it's nice to be spoon-fed ridiculously "insipid" humor from time to time. I. Loved. This. Film. It's ridiculous, just don't expect too much.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2010
This movie is a real sleeper. The first time I watched it I thought it was funny, but after watching a few more times I think it is great. These two portray the base element of every man. The "forever 13" humor that almost all men love, even if they don't like to admit it. Mary Steenburgen is also hilarious. Some people who are too uptight to laugh at juvenile humor will trash this movie, but it is funny. The casting throughout was perfect.
on March 29, 2010
This movie was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen in a long time. These two actors are great together, they pack a laughter punch like no other. I'm definitely buying this movie.
VINE VOICEon December 5, 2008
First of all I have to say this is one of the funniest movies I've seen it years, comedy just doesn't get much better than this. Secondly, if you're not a Will Ferrell fan, you're probably not going to like this. This is one of those comedies that's stupidly funny, much like the comedy classic 'The Jerk' starring Steve Martin. If you're not a fan of silly, crude and offensive humor then avoid this film at all costs, but if you've seen Will and John's previous efforts and enjoyed them, then you will most surely love this one, as it is without a doubt the best film they've made together, and I would go so far as saying that it's Will Ferrell's best yet.

Many people seeing this movie are apparently unaware that it is Rated R for sexual content, language and profanity, so be warned if this is not in tune with your sensibilities, and you definitely do not want your kids watching this, it is for grown ups only. There is one scene in particular involving a drumset that may be a bit much for for the more reserved audience members.

This movie had me in tears of uncontrollable laughter numerous times throughout, and that is quite rare for a comedy to accomplish, so I have to give it my highest recommendation. My friends who watched it with me were laughing just as hard and we all agreed that we had to buy it once it came out on DVD.

Yes it is sophomoric, yes much of it is in poor taste, but sometimes one just has to let loose, and what's what this movie achieves, it's a great opportunity to just kick back, relax and enjoy life through two goofy guys who act like little kids.

It's more than that though, as the film progresses they learn their lessons that they can't be so irresponsible forever, much like in Judd Apatow's other films, so without giving away too much, they do what they need to and redeem themselves in the process, so despite its silliness, it's not an entirely pointless movie.

'Step Brothers' is a fun ride which reminds us to not lose the kid inside of us all and to not take life too seriously, and anyone with a funnybone that's itching to be scratched should buy this film, you won't regret it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2008
It has been a long, long time since I've went to a movie and cried the whole way through.......From Laughing. When I went to this movie I knew it would be funny but I had no idea just how funny it was. From the opening credits until the very end I laughed so hard my sides hurt.

I've read the other reviews and yes it has foul language and no children shouldn't see it but what a treat for adults. Is the plot really in depth? Are the characters fully developed? Did I really learn anything? NO!!! But that's the point. People tend to forget that when you go to see a comedy if it makes you laugh then it has thus fulfilled it's purpose. The characters in the movie are a pair of 40 year old screw up's that still live with mom dad. Soon they are forced to live together and hilarity ensues. When we're children it's hard enough to sometimes learn social skills but imagine being forty and having absolutely none and you will have all the chemistry that John and Will have in this movie. Let's just say that the "feeling out process" has never been funnier.

I loved this movie so much in fact I'm seriously thinking about going back to the theater a second time to see this.
on March 9, 2009
OMG, this is soooo funny right from the get go. I hadn't heard of the movie and wasn't prepared. This is the kind of comedy that you just have to sit back and let it hit you full on. ;-)
on July 25, 2008
Assuming you are a fan of Will Farrell, this movie will make you laugh out loud many times. It really won't score any points for originality (it basically lacks a story) but there is definate chemistry between John C. Reilly and Farrell. Both actors need another strong male lead to be at their best (as we learned in watching "Walk Hard" and "Semi-Pro), so this works very well in this case. There are some appalling moments of crude humor, so be warned, and though many of the jokes have been used before, Farrell's whiny childlike persona is less annoying when playing off the deadpan, unpredictable Reilly (who is a very good actor). Other talented members of the supporting cast (Steenburgen) give this film much more credibility than most comedies, and if nothing else, it makes for an evening of laughs. Worth the price of admission for just about anyone looking for a good comedy unless, of course, you are not a fan of Ferrell.
on April 8, 2010
This is a hilarious movie and put in Will Ferrell and John C Reily you know you are in for a treat. This is one of the funnest movie out there and I will go as far to say that it is MUCH funner than the Hangover (Remember MY OPINION NOT FACT). This is more of a guy's movie so guys when the women are out invite the gang over with a couple bottles of cold beer and snack food and you are all set. So bottom line very funny go check it out
on March 7, 2013
I had never really seen John C. Reilly in any type of comedy movie, but this movie is SO ridiculous it had me laughing out loud. I had to add this to my feel good arsenal. The comedic chemistry between Ferrell and Reilly is amazing. It does have A LOT of crass humor and f-bombs so if you are offended by that you will not like this movie. It is a no thought, laugh out loud, stupid funny movie. I have a lot of new quotes to use with my friends
VINE VOICEon May 10, 2009
If you've seen the preview of this movie, you already know what's in store. It's going to be a ton of juvenile antics, hilarious ad-libbing, and a comedic duo in Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly just delivering nonsensical humor from beginning to end. Brendan (Ferrell) and Dale (Reilly) are 40-year old men without jobs. They have no prospects. They have no love life. They possess nothing that the average adult covets. What the two do have, however, is a child-like desire to have fun, to live life to the fullest, and the ability to eschew adulthood at all costs. When their parents marry one another there is initial step-sibling resentment, but they quickly become best friends. From there, they rely on great lines, superb gags, a good deal of vulgarity, and the wackiness their fans have grown to enjoy to deliver the hilarity. That's the gist of this movie. It's exactly what I expected and I laughed, HARD.

For those who didn't enjoy this movie and didn't find it funny, I'd suggest you "lost your dinosaur." Towards the end of the movie, Dale's father Dr. Robert Doback (Richard Jenkins) delivers a speech about his inability to go back in time and pretend being a T-Rex, something he so desperately wanted as a child. The message is the very meaning of this movie and in large part Ferrell and Reilly's comedic oeuvre (because they're artists). Essentially, it's about attempting to be free-spirited, having fun, enjoying everything, and maintaining the youthful belief that absolutely anything is possible as long as you truly believe and try your hardest. It's about letting go of inhibitions. It's about taking chances without worries. It's about ignoring the reasons why a movie is not plausible, why a plot-device is weak, or why Back to the Future just "doesn't make sense". Sit back, shut up, and enjoy as a child would (with the obvious difference that you'll enjoy adult humor). After all, ignorance is bliss. Enjoy the pirates, the tree house, the Hulk Smash Hands, the bunk beds, and the karate gear. It's alright to laugh, be silly, and act capriciously. The very actions invigorate. Enjoy life. Don't lose your dinosaur.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse