5.0 out of 5 stars Best Single Player Game I have ever played.... seriously
BUY THIS GAME! There, I said it. Now on to why....

Let me start by saying that I am an avid PC gamer. I build gaming rigs specifically for games like Battlefield 3 & 4. So I am used to playing high demanding / graphics intense games. I also like FPS shooters in general (Counterstrike/COD etc).

This game is nothing like what I am used to playing...
Published 12 months ago by Indetrucks

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost very good...
This game was actually just...okay. Despite not having the best graphics the landscape and environment was beautiful. Even the controls were fun to master and the relationship between the brothers was nostalgic. However, there's a point in the game where the story turns and by the end I was left asking "what was the point?" It was also riddled with frivolous creatures and...
Published 8 months ago by jake

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Single Player Game I have ever played.... seriously, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
BUY THIS GAME! There, I said it. Now on to why....

This game is nothing like what I am used to playing. It's got a playfully fun, exciting, scary, and sad story all rolled up in to one. Graphics are cartoonish sure, but it really goes along with the game and (The Never Ending Story) style scifi adventure... Sure it's set in a totally made up language (that I know of) but you don't need to understand what they are saying. The story and actions happening at the moment explains everything.

I purchased this game off STEAM today for the same price as here. I had read that it's best played with an Xbox 360 style controller hooked up to your PC. I didn't bother and was used to the default keyboard controls within 15 minutes of playing. The game starts off mellow so it gives you a chance to get acquainted to the movements and controlling two people at once. Yes, you control two people (brothers) simultaneously... it's actually pretty ingenious and nothing like I have ever played before.

Graphics are not high demanding so a basic rig with a decent card will run this just fine.

Without spoiling the game, let me say that I'm a 37r old male and the ending is a tear-jerker.
Nothing but great reviews from me for this game. The ONLY con is it wasn't long enough and I was able to finish it in 6 hours (which felt like 30 minutes). A game hasn't sucked me in like this.... ever

The graphics, level of detail, and cinematic style game play will keep your whole family entertained while they watch you navigate this mysterious world.

You cannot go wrong with this game and for around $10.... come on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design, fantastic story, and unforgettable., December 19, 2013
This is, without a doubt, one of the most well-designed games I have ever played. This coming from a game designer in the industry.
I'm talking about this on a purely technical and gameplay point - the puzzles and gameplay in this is astounding, and it alone is reason enough to purchase this game. It is worth well more than 6$. I was amazed at how intelligently the game was built and how amazing everything is presented to you with subtle hints, progressive learning, and incredible pacing.

Going beyond this, A Tale of Two Sons has a fantastic storyline which is delivered clearly without the use of a single word throughout the entire game. You don't /need/ to understand the characters to know what's going on - this is a feat rarely achieved in /any/ medium, and is incredibly rare among video games.

I cannot recommend this game enough. It is, without a doubt in my mind, one of my favorite games I have ever played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, November 21, 2013
John M. Mulholland (North Logan, UT USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this game as I saw some really great reviews and was looking for something different. I can honestly say this was the most beautiful game I have played in a very long time. I let my son play most of it and I played parts with him, each of us playing one of the sons. I highly recommend the game and it is time to let my other two sons play the game together. I am hoping they will learn some cooperation along with enjoying a great story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale well told., December 2, 2013
This is the game that delivers on the promise of narrative-entwined gameplay that we glimpsed a year ago in Journey. It'll be remembered (and dissected, and copied) for one specific, powerful moment, but the game's true success is the way it uses its 'single-player co-op' gameplay to define the brothers as individuals and a team in the hours leading up to its climax. Even better, the whimsical, often brutal fairy tale design of its Scandinavian-themed world makes it easily one of the year's best-looking games.

In terms of tone, the game is equal parts Ico, Journey and Limbo. There's an innocence and beauty to the world, but an undercurrent of melancholy and danger. It gets dark. The game uses a fictional language and, aside from its very first minutes, features no text or prompts. But you'll never have a problem understanding what's being said, thanks to the expressiveness of the models and voice work. The controls are as minimal as the UI: each brother is tied to one analog stick and one trigger for movement and context-sensitive actions.

The gameplay revolves around solid, but light, platforming and puzzle-solving. The real draw is how well the gameplay serves the story and atmosphere. The role the brothers play in solving physical puzzles or traversing the environment is defined not only by their sizes, but by their personalities. I'd like to give a few examples, but I don't want to spoil much for you. Suffice to say, their interactions with each other, and with the other characters in the world, feel natural.

There's real wonder and fun in this title. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Brainer, December 25, 2013
Ya, this isn't a tough one. Just buy it and enjoy. This is a great game from start to finish. Incredible visuals and cutscenes, challenging game play, engaging story line.....this game pretty much has it all. The only downside is that it is a relatively short game, perhaps 5 hours of gaming. Still well worth it, just a great game.

P.S. Played this with my 12 year old son and he loved it. Very age appropriate. It is possible to play this two player by using the keyboard and having each person control one brother, as the keys to control the brothers are at opposite ends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful game.....loved it...!!, January 9, 2014
This is fantastic game....wonderful graphics....very touching story.

Some people complained about the controls on this game. This is due to the fact that without a game controller, you have to control both brothers with the keyboard at the same time.

If you plug in an Xbox controller, the game will recognize that you are using it, and the menus will change to recognize it. And so each brother is controlled by one of the analog joysticks by one player.

So why do I write this....well, I wanted to play the game with my son, with him being one brother and me being the other.....several people complain about not being able to control each brother individually. Well.....here is how I got that to work...this assumes you have both an XBox controller and another usb controller of some type.

1. Download xpadder.....there is a free version(ver 5.3) that works with windows 7 in compatibility mode. Configure it to work with your other usb gamepad(not the xbox one). Mine is a Saitek P880. Since the second brother responds to the arrow keys and the right control key, assign those, through xpadder to be clicked when you move the gamepad analog sticks and a button. There are great instructions with the application and it only takes about 10 minutes to setup.

2. Once that is done...unplug that gamepad. Plug in the Xbox controller or wireless dongle(that is what I have), and start up the game. You will notice that the game sees you are using an Xbox controller. Now, plug in the other gamepad and xpadder should assign the gamepad stick and button to those keys on the keyboard. So the game thinks you are using the Xbox controllers and the arrow keys, and it works great.!

My son and I are about half way through the game and are enjoying it tremendously..!! It is a beautifully done game, and the fact that I can play with him has made it that much more fun.

I am not sure it is relevant here....but might sway some people toward buying it, if they could play with two people. It does make the game a lot less complex in doing several of the tasks, but he is young, and wouldnt have enjoyed it as much trying to control both joysticks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of Your Time, December 31, 2013
First use an xbox controller to play this game as I don't think it would be possible using the mouse and keyboard. Using the controller is very smooth and makes you really think to control what is going on.

Second this game is not hard; but it is amazingly creative, wonderfully beautiful, and just incredibly done. It is so outside the norm that it really should be experienced by all.

Third there is no comprehendable dialog in the game and no direction provided, you just have to logically figure things out. This is a huge part of what made this game great.

It only took me three hours to get through the game, but for the price it was absolutely perfect (just enough to really impress, yet not too much to drag on or get repetitive). This really is a studio to watch if they can maintain this level of creativity & quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Of The Year, 'nuff said ^_^., December 7, 2013
This game has it all. Although, it can seem short if you rush it, but why would you? Emerge yourself into this game, and i can guarantee you an experience like never before. Although, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU PLAY THIS WITH A GAME-PAD, and not your keyboard. This game was designed for a game-pad, because you control both characters at the same time (hard to do without two joysticks). I agree that this game might not be for everyone, but for those that it is- It will feel that hole in your life that you thought was missing. (Warning: This game may cause you to cry a lot). Last thing, I found it cool that there was no real language in the game (similar to gibberish, but with a Nordic feel to it), allowing the gamer to interpret the dialogue depending on his life and views.

5.0 out of 5 stars truly shows the potential of this medium as an artform, September 21, 2014
Brothers may not be as cool, complex, thrilling and long as the Bioshock or the Arkham games (personal favourites of mine) but it is still a perfect game that everyone should at least try once in their lives. The reason I find it a perfect game is because unlike almost all games, there is no way to recreate this as a film and feel the same emotions. By controlling the two brothers at all times, the player is made more aware of his interaction with the characters and what happens on screen. It also forces the player to build new muscle memory which comes into play within the game’s narrative at the very end. That this game succeeds at merging this new gameplay mechanic with its narrative flawlessly is the reason I deem this game perfect. It attempts one thing, just one, but it perfects it. Definitely an example of quality over quantity, considering the very short length. I do not mind the short length though, since it makes it feasible to play the game in one sitting, giving the player a full arc with its controls, mirroring the character arc of the younger brother.
The game also happens to be beautiful and smooth. Someone watching you play could easily believe this is an animated film. All the elements on the screen blend together perfectly and you truly feel you are commanding an epic yet personal journey as it unfolds before your eyes. There is no combat, only some simple puzzles, but the game does not want to overload the player with more difficulty due to the fact that growing comfortable with the controls is the main difficulty in this game. This gives the game a nice momentum and pace, never giving you a reason to set the controller down. Of all the games out there, I believe this is the one which truly shows the potential of this medium as an artform and that is the reason I would give this game a 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, October 6, 2014
This is one of the best games I've ever played. Touching story line. Game gets progressively harder, which is a nice challenge.
I wish I could find another game just like it