5.0 out of 5 stars Best Single Player Game I have ever played.... seriously
BUY THIS GAME! There, I said it. Now on to why....

Let me start by saying that I am an avid PC gamer. I build gaming rigs specifically for games like Battlefield 3 & 4. So I am used to playing high demanding / graphics intense games. I also like FPS shooters in general (Counterstrike/COD etc).

This game is nothing like what I am used to playing...
Published 15 months ago by Indetrucks

3.0 out of 5 stars Really slow paced, but emotional
First of all I'll say this game has GREAT map design, but it lacks in the character design department. They look horrible. Also the game is really slow paced, there's barely much progress being made at once. But it's a very emotional game, and it brought a tear to my eye.
Published 13 months ago by Zareef Huq

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Single Player Game I have ever played.... seriously, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
BUY THIS GAME! There, I said it. Now on to why....

This game is nothing like what I am used to playing. It's got a playfully fun, exciting, scary, and sad story all rolled up in to one. Graphics are cartoonish sure, but it really goes along with the game and (The Never Ending Story) style scifi adventure... Sure it's set in a totally made up language (that I know of) but you don't need to understand what they are saying. The story and actions happening at the moment explains everything.

I purchased this game off STEAM today for the same price as here. I had read that it's best played with an Xbox 360 style controller hooked up to your PC. I didn't bother and was used to the default keyboard controls within 15 minutes of playing. The game starts off mellow so it gives you a chance to get acquainted to the movements and controlling two people at once. Yes, you control two people (brothers) simultaneously... it's actually pretty ingenious and nothing like I have ever played before.

Graphics are not high demanding so a basic rig with a decent card will run this just fine.

Without spoiling the game, let me say that I'm a 37r old male and the ending is a tear-jerker.
Nothing but great reviews from me for this game. The ONLY con is it wasn't long enough and I was able to finish it in 6 hours (which felt like 30 minutes). A game hasn't sucked me in like this.... ever

The graphics, level of detail, and cinematic style game play will keep your whole family entertained while they watch you navigate this mysterious world.

You cannot go wrong with this game and for around $10.... come on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design, fantastic story, and unforgettable., December 19, 2013
This is, without a doubt, one of the most well-designed games I have ever played. This coming from a game designer in the industry.
I'm talking about this on a purely technical and gameplay point - the puzzles and gameplay in this is astounding, and it alone is reason enough to purchase this game. It is worth well more than 6$. I was amazed at how intelligently the game was built and how amazing everything is presented to you with subtle hints, progressive learning, and incredible pacing.

Going beyond this, A Tale of Two Sons has a fantastic storyline which is delivered clearly without the use of a single word throughout the entire game. You don't /need/ to understand the characters to know what's going on - this is a feat rarely achieved in /any/ medium, and is incredibly rare among video games.

I cannot recommend this game enough. It is, without a doubt in my mind, one of my favorite games I have ever played.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, November 21, 2013
John M. Mulholland (North Logan, UT USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this game as I saw some really great reviews and was looking for something different. I can honestly say this was the most beautiful game I have played in a very long time. I let my son play most of it and I played parts with him, each of us playing one of the sons. I highly recommend the game and it is time to let my other two sons play the game together. I am hoping they will learn some cooperation along with enjoying a great story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale well told., December 2, 2013
This is the game that delivers on the promise of narrative-entwined gameplay that we glimpsed a year ago in Journey. It'll be remembered (and dissected, and copied) for one specific, powerful moment, but the game's true success is the way it uses its 'single-player co-op' gameplay to define the brothers as individuals and a team in the hours leading up to its climax. Even better, the whimsical, often brutal fairy tale design of its Scandinavian-themed world makes it easily one of the year's best-looking games.

In terms of tone, the game is equal parts Ico, Journey and Limbo. There's an innocence and beauty to the world, but an undercurrent of melancholy and danger. It gets dark. The game uses a fictional language and, aside from its very first minutes, features no text or prompts. But you'll never have a problem understanding what's being said, thanks to the expressiveness of the models and voice work. The controls are as minimal as the UI: each brother is tied to one analog stick and one trigger for movement and context-sensitive actions.

The gameplay revolves around solid, but light, platforming and puzzle-solving. The real draw is how well the gameplay serves the story and atmosphere. The role the brothers play in solving physical puzzles or traversing the environment is defined not only by their sizes, but by their personalities. I'd like to give a few examples, but I don't want to spoil much for you. Suffice to say, their interactions with each other, and with the other characters in the world, feel natural.

There's real wonder and fun in this title. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Brainer, December 25, 2013
Ya, this isn't a tough one. Just buy it and enjoy. This is a great game from start to finish. Incredible visuals and cutscenes, challenging game play, engaging story line.....this game pretty much has it all. The only downside is that it is a relatively short game, perhaps 5 hours of gaming. Still well worth it, just a great game.

P.S. Played this with my 12 year old son and he loved it. Very age appropriate. It is possible to play this two player by using the keyboard and having each person control one brother, as the keys to control the brothers are at opposite ends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of entertainment with my daughter, April 3, 2014
I played through this whole game twice, once myself and once with my 3.5 year old daughter. There was one chapter (5th of the 7 in the game) that I felt was inappropriate for her - in fact it was obviously intended deliberately to make the player uncomfortable. Other than that it's kid appropriate. We both enjoyed the gorgeous scenery - she called it "The movie game" for a while until I trained her to call it "Brothers game." I played on a PC with a keyboard and never had a problem - as others have noted, there are a couple cranks that are slow to turn via keyboard, but overall it's completable via keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of Your Time, December 31, 2013
First use an xbox controller to play this game as I don't think it would be possible using the mouse and keyboard. Using the controller is very smooth and makes you really think to control what is going on.

Second this game is not hard; but it is amazingly creative, wonderfully beautiful, and just incredibly done. It is so outside the norm that it really should be experienced by all.

Third there is no comprehendable dialog in the game and no direction provided, you just have to logically figure things out. This is a huge part of what made this game great.

It only took me three hours to get through the game, but for the price it was absolutely perfect (just enough to really impress, yet not too much to drag on or get repetitive). This really is a studio to watch if they can maintain this level of creativity & quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Of The Year, 'nuff said ^_^., December 7, 2013
This game has it all. Although, it can seem short if you rush it, but why would you? Emerge yourself into this game, and i can guarantee you an experience like never before. Although, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU PLAY THIS WITH A GAME-PAD, and not your keyboard. This game was designed for a game-pad, because you control both characters at the same time (hard to do without two joysticks). I agree that this game might not be for everyone, but for those that it is- It will feel that hole in your life that you thought was missing. (Warning: This game may cause you to cry a lot). Last thing, I found it cool that there was no real language in the game (similar to gibberish, but with a Nordic feel to it), allowing the gamer to interpret the dialogue depending on his life and views.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably my favorite game from 2013, September 30, 2014
Eric "Eric" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Brothers is an adventure game that plays like a cinematic experience. While the game only offers about 5 hours of gameplay (with very little replay value), you will discover that it accomplishes more in those 5 hours than most 50 hour games do today. The Swedish game company Starbreeze Studios worked with film director Josef Fares, and I think that a lot of his skills in telling stories transferred into this project. The camera work is spectacular, never glitching and often used to show off beautiful artwork or colorful characters. The birds eye perspective of the two main characters is completely free of user interface elements, making it feel like 'you are the character' rather than 'you are playing the character'. The graphics are similar to the whimsical characters and environments seen in the more modern Fable games. They aren't realistic by any means, but they are still beautiful to look at.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game, not much replay value., April 22, 2014
This game had a great little story. It took me about 3 hours to complete which I did in one sitting. At times, it can be a real mind boggler because you are controlling one character with your left hand and the other with your right hand. I haven't thought about playing again since I finished it, but I do always recommend people check it out since I did find it enjoyable and refreshing.