Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on November 10, 2013
BUY THIS GAME! There, I said it. Now on to why....

Let me start by saying that I am an avid PC gamer. I build gaming rigs specifically for games like Battlefield 3 & 4. So I am used to playing high demanding / graphics intense games. I also like FPS shooters in general (Counterstrike/COD etc).

This game is nothing like what I am used to playing. It's got a playfully fun, exciting, scary, and sad story all rolled up in to one. Graphics are cartoonish sure, but it really goes along with the game and (The Never Ending Story) style scifi adventure... Sure it's set in a totally made up language (that I know of) but you don't need to understand what they are saying. The story and actions happening at the moment explains everything.

I purchased this game off STEAM today for the same price as here. I had read that it's best played with an Xbox 360 style controller hooked up to your PC. I didn't bother and was used to the default keyboard controls within 15 minutes of playing. The game starts off mellow so it gives you a chance to get acquainted to the movements and controlling two people at once. Yes, you control two people (brothers) simultaneously... it's actually pretty ingenious and nothing like I have ever played before.

Graphics are not high demanding so a basic rig with a decent card will run this just fine.

Without spoiling the game, let me say that I'm a 37r old male and the ending is a tear-jerker.
Nothing but great reviews from me for this game. The ONLY con is it wasn't long enough and I was able to finish it in 6 hours (which felt like 30 minutes). A game hasn't sucked me in like this.... ever

The graphics, level of detail, and cinematic style game play will keep your whole family entertained while they watch you navigate this mysterious world.

You cannot go wrong with this game and for around $10.... come on.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2013
This is, without a doubt, one of the most well-designed games I have ever played. This coming from a game designer in the industry.
I'm talking about this on a purely technical and gameplay point - the puzzles and gameplay in this is astounding, and it alone is reason enough to purchase this game. It is worth well more than 6$. I was amazed at how intelligently the game was built and how amazing everything is presented to you with subtle hints, progressive learning, and incredible pacing.

Going beyond this, A Tale of Two Sons has a fantastic storyline which is delivered clearly without the use of a single word throughout the entire game. You don't /need/ to understand the characters to know what's going on - this is a feat rarely achieved in /any/ medium, and is incredibly rare among video games.

I cannot recommend this game enough. It is, without a doubt in my mind, one of my favorite games I have ever played.
on November 21, 2013
I bought this game as I saw some really great reviews and was looking for something different. I can honestly say this was the most beautiful game I have played in a very long time. I let my son play most of it and I played parts with him, each of us playing one of the sons. I highly recommend the game and it is time to let my other two sons play the game together. I am hoping they will learn some cooperation along with enjoying a great story.
on December 2, 2013
This is the game that delivers on the promise of narrative-entwined gameplay that we glimpsed a year ago in Journey. It'll be remembered (and dissected, and copied) for one specific, powerful moment, but the game's true success is the way it uses its 'single-player co-op' gameplay to define the brothers as individuals and a team in the hours leading up to its climax. Even better, the whimsical, often brutal fairy tale design of its Scandinavian-themed world makes it easily one of the year's best-looking games.

In terms of tone, the game is equal parts Ico, Journey and Limbo. There's an innocence and beauty to the world, but an undercurrent of melancholy and danger. It gets dark. The game uses a fictional language and, aside from its very first minutes, features no text or prompts. But you'll never have a problem understanding what's being said, thanks to the expressiveness of the models and voice work. The controls are as minimal as the UI: each brother is tied to one analog stick and one trigger for movement and context-sensitive actions.

The gameplay revolves around solid, but light, platforming and puzzle-solving. The real draw is how well the gameplay serves the story and atmosphere. The role the brothers play in solving physical puzzles or traversing the environment is defined not only by their sizes, but by their personalities. I'd like to give a few examples, but I don't want to spoil much for you. Suffice to say, their interactions with each other, and with the other characters in the world, feel natural.

There's real wonder and fun in this title. Enjoy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2013
Ya, this isn't a tough one. Just buy it and enjoy. This is a great game from start to finish. Incredible visuals and cutscenes, challenging game play, engaging story line.....this game pretty much has it all. The only downside is that it is a relatively short game, perhaps 5 hours of gaming. Still well worth it, just a great game.

P.S. Played this with my 12 year old son and he loved it. Very age appropriate. It is possible to play this two player by using the keyboard and having each person control one brother, as the keys to control the brothers are at opposite ends.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2014
At first I was baffled by the simplicty of this game. you use the two thumbsticks and two shoulder buttons of your gamepad. Thats it.
While the controls are not always easy to coordinate, they are really rather intuitive.

The graphics are not really up-to-date, yet beautiful. You can see far into the distance and catch glimpses of what lies ahead.

However, the big selling point of this game is the story, not the graphics.

Without using any recognizable words (the language is made-up gibberish), the game manages to tell a really touching story of two brothers on the search for a cure for their ill father. I won't spoil anything here, but it will bring tears to your eyes.

Difficulty-wise, I found it really easy. You can play it through in about 2-2.5 hours if you want. Most puzzles are self-explainatory.
on January 25, 2014
-Only about 3-5 hours long
-Controls can be tricky at times, but it's mostly mental. Kinda like "pat your head while rubbing your tummy" thing

-The experience. This game and Journey are the only two games that I've played that no English has been spoken, written nor read. Instead, it grips at your emotions from the beginning to the end.
-Graphics, nothing mind blowing. However, you can tell that 505 Games took their time to make the world look charming.
-It's different, I've never played a game with a story like this and with simple, yet innovative controls. (Yes, I know I put controls down in the con section, but their more pro than con)
-It's just plain fun.

Every once in a while, a gem comes along that makes you realize why we play games. This is one of those games.
on April 3, 2014
I played through this whole game twice, once myself and once with my 3.5 year old daughter. There was one chapter (5th of the 7 in the game) that I felt was inappropriate for her - in fact it was obviously intended deliberately to make the player uncomfortable. Other than that it's kid appropriate. We both enjoyed the gorgeous scenery - she called it "The movie game" for a while until I trained her to call it "Brothers game." I played on a PC with a keyboard and never had a problem - as others have noted, there are a couple cranks that are slow to turn via keyboard, but overall it's completable via keyboard.
on March 1, 2014
This game requires a game controller. I didn't know this upon purchase, but this actually turned about to be fortuitous in the sense that it gave me an excuse to buy one and to use it while playing other PC games. I loved this game: the bond you feel between the two brothers while on their noble quest is something I've never felt before. The way the two boys work in tandem through use of the controller offers a unique experience that contributes greatly to that bonding experience. The soundtrack is wonderful as well are the beautiful graphics (such magnificent views!) I can't say enough good things about this game!
on December 31, 2013
First use an xbox controller to play this game as I don't think it would be possible using the mouse and keyboard. Using the controller is very smooth and makes you really think to control what is going on.

Second this game is not hard; but it is amazingly creative, wonderfully beautiful, and just incredibly done. It is so outside the norm that it really should be experienced by all.

Third there is no comprehendable dialog in the game and no direction provided, you just have to logically figure things out. This is a huge part of what made this game great.

It only took me three hours to get through the game, but for the price it was absolutely perfect (just enough to really impress, yet not too much to drag on or get repetitive). This really is a studio to watch if they can maintain this level of creativity & quality.