5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic From Carle
I've had three children who fell in love with this book around age two. It does a wonderful job of teaching colors, animals and rhyme to toddlers.
Published on September 11, 2000 by Wayne A. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars New, revised version inferior to the original.
Published on September 13, 2005 by Julie Greeman

1.0 out of 5 stars New, revised version inferior to the original., September 13, 2005
I am a Kindergarten teacher in Connecticut, and have been using this book for many years. I have the Big Book, a regular-size Paperback version, and four small hardcover ones that I use with an original tape of Bill Martin reading the story. These books are much loved, and I decided to replenish my library with new ones, only to discover that for some reason known only to himself, Bill Martin decided to change the format. In the original version, the pictures helped give clues to the words, which emergent readers need: i.e "Brown bear, brown bear What do you see?" was on the page with the picture of the brown bear. The words "I see a red bird looking at me." and then "Red bird, red bird, what do you see?" were on the page with the picture of the red bird. In this newer, revised version, the page that contains part of the picture of the brown bear has "I see a red bird looking at me." on it. When you turn to the next page, with the picture of the red bird, you see the words, "Red bird, red bird, what do you see?" but then, on the same page you get the words "I see a yellow duck looking at me." No picture clue given. I don't like this version, and it's now impossible for me to obtain a copy of the original version. I think they must be out of print. So I'm holding on to mine for dear life! They're worth their weight in gold!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic From Carle, September 11, 2000
This review is from: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Board book)
Aided by Carle's unique illustrations, this book begs to be chanted by the parent who will be reading it for the umpteenth time. ("Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? I see a red bird looking at me. Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a ....." etc., etc.) The cadence and rhythm of the words have fascinated my youngsters as they learn to identify different colored animals populating the pages of the book. Strictly a teaching tool, the book does not have a story per se, but it seems to be just right for the child who is just beginning to discover the larger world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A children's classic, January 28, 2000
By A Customer
Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin Jr. and illustrated by Eric Carle is a classic book for young readers. The REPETITIVE (not rhyming) text is what makes the book easy for little ones to memorize. The book introduces the very young to animal names and color words. The simple, REPETITIVE text encourages even the youngest of readers to chime in. An excellent choice and a must have in your child's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favorite book, December 18, 2000
This review is from: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Board book)
I tried to interest my daughter in books early on (around 5 or 6 months) but she showed very little interest for a long time. She'd bat the book away, look elsewhere, or try to destroy the pages. I read in "The Read Aloud Handbook" that babies like simple pictures, so I picked up "Brown Bear" in the bookstore one day. For the first time, my daughter actually looked at the pages while I read a book. She's now almost 15 months, and she will choose this book over any other--she names the animals for me, and flips the pages back and forth, "reading" the book to herself. It's not the most interesting children's book I've ever read, certainly, but the rhyming and the pictures caught her attention, and got her interested in books. For that, this book is invaluable to me, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for every young child's bookshelf, July 10, 2000
This review is from: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Board book)
This was the second book (Tana Hoban's black and white book was the first) that I read to my son when he was a few months old and read it again and again. He was fascinated by the bright pictures in the book and the rhythmic language. Brown Bear brown bear, what do you see? I see a _____ looking at me... As he began to recognize animals and moo like a cow and quack like a duck, the pictures began to take shape for him and he would recognize them for what they were drawn to be. Mr. Carle writes and illustrates wonderful books. My son who is now 3, close to 4, still enjoys the book and he can now easily anticipate which animal is on the next page. I have this book in the board book style and when my son began to "read" for himself, this was one of the books he would frequently reach for. Highly, highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Book for all Children., May 29, 1999
This review is from: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Board book)
Brown Bear, Brown Bear has provided my child with reading enjoyment since 9 months of age. The colors are outstanding and eye-catching to the little ones. This is most definately her favorite book. (As the book shows). It teaches children of various animals and associates them with colors. At the age of 14 months, my daughter could depict every picture and state it by name and color. True educational book for the young at heart . If your child does not have this book, trust me, buy it - it is well worth it. It's companion book, "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What do you hear." is as phenomem.

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic, June 18, 2001
D. Lowery (San Ramon, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Board book)
I remember loving this book as a child, and reading this to my six-month-old son brought back wonderful memories. Yes, there's a simplistic theme running through the pages, but a young child listens for the repetitive phrase and looks for the big, colorful images. My son gets very excited each time I read the book to him, reaching for each of the animals as the page turns; and as he gets older and can comprehend the pictures better, I'm sure he'll appreciate Martin and Carle's work as much as I did.
I highly recommend this delightful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Babies!, January 30, 2000
This review is from: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Board book)
I bought this book for my daughter when she turned one. It's been her favorite book. She knows all the animals, the colors and the sounds each animal makes. If you are looking to buy a perfect baby book, this is it. The pictures are great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for small children, November 28, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Board book)
I started reading this book to my 16 month old brother. He sits quietly through the entire book - looking at each page. We even read it a couple times making all the animals sounds. No other book I've read to him consistently keeps his interest. A must for early readers!! And for kids of my age of 12 I recommend the serie of Why Some Cats are Rascals ( Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent even for infants, February 25, 2000
This review is from: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Board book)
This is the first book we read to my son. He received it for Christmas when he was 2 months old, and I began reading it to him about then. At about 4 months, he was paying attention to it. Later, he enjoyed the animal sound effects we made when we read it to him. Brown Bear, Brown Bear was his very first favorite book, no doubt because the illustrations are large and clear, and the text is repetitive.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin (Board book - September 15, 1996)
$7.95 $6.50