5.0 out of 5 stars Stranded far from civilization? This is the knife you want
Published on July 11, 2009 by Conor

2.0 out of 5 stars Just carry a hawk or a machete
Published 18 months ago by bushman84

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stranded far from civilization? This is the knife you want, July 11, 2009
This review is from: Tom Brown Tracker, Gray Micarta Handle, Black Blade, Kydex Model TBT-010 (Sports)
An avid knife collector, my life long quest for the ultimate knife began at the age of six when I got my first. An Old Timer three-blade pocket knife. Since that time I have been fascinated with the beauty and versatility of a finely crafted blade. The Tom Brown Tracker is quite possibly the best all-purpose Wilderness Survival Knife (WSK) one can buy. The Tracker outshines my survival knife, k-bar and bowie knife in all categories I can think of. Although I have never been involved in a knife fight I doubt I would choose the tracker as an offensive weapon like in the movies. My interest in the Tracker began when I watched "The Hunted" almost five years ago. No surprise there. Like the movie infers, I thought it was a cool looking fighting knife so I was hesitant to invest in a blade that I would never use for what I thought was its intended purpose. Earlier this year my interest in the Tracker was rekindled after I visited the world's largest knife store on vacation and to my dismay then didn't sell it! When I got home I started my investigation; this is what I found:

1. Critics either love it or hate it
2. Those who love the Tracker embrace the versatility of this multi-functional survival tool
3. Those who hate the Tracker dismiss it as a Hollywood gimmick
4. I could find little to no feed back from real people, including Amazon.com feed back
5. This is not a fighting knife, at nearly 2 lb. it is way too big to be wielded in an offensive manner although, it is very intimidating

On with the chlorophyl...

Pros
-Chopping blade strikes with the heft of a hand axe with the control of a machete
-Carving blade cuts, carves, shaves, slices, and splits as well as it claims too.*
-Saw teeth, while short, are very effective at eating though wood
-Saw teeth are also excellent to scrap magnesium and striking flint for fire starting without dulling your blade
-VERY SHARP and you can easily maintain the edge by using a honing rod after use, this will decrease the frequency of using a sharpening stone*

Cons
-*At 1/4 inch thick the Tracker's blade cannot do everything, smaller more intricate tasks will require a thin blade
-*You will need to keep the blade lightly oiled when not in use, the 1095 high carbon steel holds an excellent edge but will oxidize quickly
-Black epoxy coating on the blade is showing signs of scuffing or scrap off after moderate use
-When cleaning the Tracker don't use an abrasive surface, this will lead to the aforementioned epoxy scuffing
-The sheath is designed to be carried as a right hand draw in the scout position, I am left handed

I gave the Track Five Stars because I am extremely satisfied with my over all purchase. The Amazon price was by far the lowest I could find. This knife has done everything I have asked it to do. How can I complain?

If you plan to spend the rest of your life living comfortably in the society you have grown accustom to, than you really don't need this knife. But, if inside you is the primal urge to leave modern civilization behind and scrape out your existence among the trees and animals on the wilderness then I highly recommend that Tom Brown's Tracker become an essential piece of your equipment. It's not the only tool you will need but it will more than handle many of the common survival tasks you will have to accomplish while living off the land.

Is Tom Brown's Tracker the ultimate knife? I don't know but, it has satisfied my quest for an imposing, versatile and beautiful blade. At least for now...

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack of all trades, master of quite a few, March 14, 2011
I received this knife a few weeks back (wish I saw this Amazon price first!) and was in the Florida wilderness by that weekend. I have owned several knives, but not one this expensive or designed specifically as an all around tool. Here are some thoughts.

First, if you don't want to read the entire review, I absolutely love this knife and couldn't recommend it more. Having said that, I realize after using it, that it is truly a love it or hate it "knife" that all depends on preferences. Many have seen "The Hunted" and either think this is a fighting knife (it's not at almost 2 lbs - get a Ka-Bar) or that it is just a Hollywood knife. This knife was featured in the movie, it was not created for the movie. Tom Brown was a consultant on the movie and the pure intimidation of the look of his already in production knife made it movie-worthy. It's amazing, but I'd erase the impressions from the movie.

I did quite a bit of research before purchasing this "knife" due to the high cost and my propensity towards Cold Steel products. Cold Steel Knives are excellent, but I'm not real happy about their manufacturing moving overseas. This "knife" is made in the United States by Topps and is made of very durable 1095 High Carbon steel (if you don't know what difference that makes - it is extremely strong, keeps an excellent edge, but is a bit harder to sharpen than other carbon steels - BUT worth the effort). This is a hardy "knife" at a quarter inch thick. The linen mycarta handle is very soft and comfortable. It did an excellent job of staying grippy as my hands got sweaty. As previously noted in reviews, the black finish will mark with moderate use. Personally, I use my knives and I could care less if they look like it. I want sharp steel that can handle my tasks, aesthetics take a back burner. As with any knife, if you want it to stay pretty, don't go out and start hacking down tree branches. Trust me, the Cold Steel Trailmaster will mark with far less abuse.

When referring to the Tracker knife why do I keep using parentheses with the word "knife"? If you read any of the hate videos or reviews, most folks seem to want to use the knife for a single task and then rail against it and promote how much better some other knife is at that task. No offense, but duh. A Youtube review said it well when it said "this knife almost crosses the line of being a jack of trades and a master of none". The operative word in that sentence is almost. This is classified as a Wilderness Survival Knife, but after using it; I realize it is much more of a Survival TOOL than anything. The purpose of this knife is similar to the old question of "if you were on an island with one item, what would it be?". Most intelligent survivalists would answer with this knife. This knife can get the job done on almost any survival/wilderness task requiring a tool and it does so with great efficiency. Other knives have improved blade design and size for various tasks, but none has the same versatility. I doubt very often that you take out your Swiss Army knife's can opener in place of your kitchen can opener, but if there was an emergency; that Swiss Army knife will easily get you into a can of food. With the Tracker knife it can handle the tasks of a chopper, carver, skinner, scraper, gut hook, draw knife, hammer, saw, wire cutter, and spearhead. The handle is also designed with three hand positions to give you an optimal grip for each task (** for tasks like using the knife as a draw knife, you will need to cover the saw with a rag). With the design and weight, you could definitely throw this knife and many people do; buttttttt unless you are a certified pro why on earth would you huck your survival blade into the woods? Just go get some Gil Hibbin throwers.

My 4 day primitive camping experience with my new knife was fantastic. As I said, I couldn't wait to get into the wilderness with this knife. I travel very light (not just my knife light, but light all the same). Without boring everyone with every detail of how I used the knife, I'll be brief. With what I considered to be a very short amount of time (no watch to give you a specific time); I had a campfire with enough wood and kindling to handle all of the cooking for my trip, improved shelter stakes, and the knife had me relaxing working on a carving project waiting for dinner to finish cooking. It took me a while to sharpen the blade to razor sharpness, but maintenance past that initial sharpening was as easy as any knife I've ever had. In short, I tried my absolute hardest to defeat this knife and I walked out the other side with an amazing respect for its genius design. It's not the best at everything, but it WILL do anything. This knife ended up proving to me that it is well worth the price tag attached and will last me a lifetime with only moderate care.

As long as you understand it's purpose and still want this knife in your arsenal, buy with full confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Knife, Awful Sheath, February 15, 2012
I purchased this from Amazon and it arrived very promptly with all the certification, the owners manual, a sheath, and a TOPS whistle. The blade was rust free and the factory edge was suitable for chopping but not shaving sharp. A lot of people really don't like this knife but I think probably the biggest reason is the obscene price. I can't know what the price is at the time you are reading this but for me it was considerably lower than TOPS' asking price and I was able to partially pay for it with gift cards so it felt more reasonably priced at the time.

I'll be reviewing the knife in sections:
Handle- The linen Micarta is comfortable and I really like it more than the canvas micarta some of my other knives have. The only thing about the handle that is odd or takes any getting used to is the three handle possitions.

Chopping edge- This knife chops better that the hatchet I have. You have to chop with it correctly in the third handle position so that the angle the knife hits the wood is similar to that of a hatchet. I also use the chopping edge to sort of baton through larger logs.

Draw Blade- the draw blade functions well. It makes feather sticks very well and although the manual recommends covering the saw teeth with buckskin to protect your hands I have used it without buckskin for brief periods and been fine. If you don't have buckskin then some bark or a bandanna work fine. The draw blade will also baton small sticks which helps building certain fire configurations.

Gut Hook- I haven't gutted anything, it seems okay enough... not as good as a dedicated hook but it would still work. I have also kind of ignored the hook portion and batoned with the full length of the blade and had no friction problems.

The saw blade- this saw isn't great for wood processing, it isn't built to cut down large trees and even a small branch you'll just want to chop off. The saw edge is great for notching sticks when building traps and snares. Before using this knife I struggled with trapping but this knife makes it a lot more easy going.

The sheath. This sheath is just the worst. I hated the knife at first because the sheath has very very little friction retention so I was constantly checking to see if it had fallen out. The combined frustration of constantly checking the sheath and wondering what could happen when a 2lb knife falls out the sheath attached to your waist made me hate carrying it. Its a very heavy knife so great friction retention might be difficult to achieve but it seems like they didn't even try when designing this. I ended up constructing a leather one of my own which is what I began to enjoy carrying and using this knife.

I now love this knife as a one knife trying to do it all sort of tool. But you might be just as well off with a leatherman or a couple of dedicated tools. Superficially- it looks pretty sweet and can be a conversation piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars well thought out knife from a legend, March 21, 2013
i was amazed to read how many uses this knife/tool has.

so far i havent put many to the test, but it does very well as a hatchet, especially green wood (obviously)

i have finished and cleaned a goat with both portions of the blade.
its a little hard to skin an animal with the hatchet part, but it is possible.
i know i know, thats not its purpose and i realize that.

lucky for me, i made a paracord lanyard out of gutted paracord and weedeater thread, with a small side release buckle.
while running across rocks trying to out-flank a herd, the knife shook out of the sheath and fell between some rocks.
if not for the lanyard stopping me, i would have back-tracked for some hours in search of my $200 knife, and it possibly wouldnt have been recovered.
kinda my fault because i had the sheath clips on the back of my belt, which was flimsy 1 1/2" webbing, allowing it to flop around more.
the sheath doesnt seem to hold it too securely, but then again, its a rather heavy blade, and im sure the manufacturer didnt want to make it difficult to remove.
however, i think i might use a heat gun to tighten it up a little more.
.....might just be my sheath?
anyways, im not complaining, just noting for others.
love this knife. i feel confident in this being my only piece of equipment if i had to choose just one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just carry a hawk or a machete, December 27, 2012
Now I understand no one is on the fence about wsk blade styles, you love or you hate. I personally really like them, however, the TBT-010 is RIDICULOUSLY heavy and unwieldy. I have the "Mini Tracker" and I have a hand forged wsk which is based on the Tracker #2, the only difference is the saw back. So since I have 2 other frames of reference let me say that the 010 is so heavy that it is absolutely impractical the #2 size knife I have is perfect in weight and is comfortable in your hand. the 010 has more weight than a high quality 18" machete or tomahawk, so if I'm going to have the weight I'd definitely take a machete or a hawk over the Tracker.
If you want a wsk style blade do yourself a favor and go with the #2, or find a hand forged variant of that. Mine is hand forged and still about half the cost which is why I went that route. But the level of practicality of the #2 far surpasses the 010.
Sheath; I am a fan of kydex, but the only issue I have with this knife's sheath is the fact that I'm left handed, the clips are permanently fixed and rotate which is fine, except to draw from the small of your back with your left hand makes the knife cutting edge facing up when you draw essentially backward in your hand. It would be a far better design if the clips were removable and could be put on either side. I have seen ones for around $50 made of leather which can be carried several ways and ordered left or right handed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Survival Tool on the market, October 16, 2010
Conor's review is very accurate and I couldn't agree more. I have this knife and will tell you it is an excellent heavy duty tool that is extremely useful. I have dozens of different knives and multi-tools and if I could only have one in a survival situation, this would be my first choice. There are some distant second choices for less money that are better for less serious campers, but this is the tool for the serious camper or survivalist.

5.0 out of 5 stars knife, January 5, 2013
The TB Tracker knife is a great buy if your into quality knives. The price may scare some off but this knife is worth its weight (which is hefty by the way). If your seriously considering it you've probably already done your research on it so all I will tell you is yes, its worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good materials, poor blade design, way overpriced, October 26, 2011
Pros:

-Nicely Shaped handle
-Durable micarta handle scales
-Kydex sheathes are lightweight, durable, and safe.
-1095 steel is decent as long as its taken care of. (it can rust)

Cons:

-The weight to blade length ratio is a joke. I understand that a certain amount of weight is needed in a survival knife for chopping but that weight should be accommodated with a certain amount of length. The tracker is over 2 pounds and has a blade that's about 6 inches long, which is more like a hatchet than a knife. When you have to walk 10 miles and then use that knife to make a shelter and a fire, you'd want something a lot lighter than 2 pounds with a 6 inch blade. Or if you are carrying a 2 pound knife, it better have a blade that's at least 10-12 inches so you have the maximum momentum in the swing.

-The grind on the blade is inefficient and part of the reason for the ridiculous weight. The grind is so small and close to the edge that it will make cuts about as well as a bayonet. This is because the angle of the grind makes it into a fat wedge. This would also be incredibly hard to resharpen if the edge took some chips. The knife would weigh a lot less, cut much better, and be easier to maintain if it were full flat ground. It would even be much better if it were ground half way up the blade.

-The silly indentation on the first half of the blade is only going to make sweeping cuts much more difficult.

-The price is ridiculous. (Retail $299, amazon $219) Based on other knives of similar construction, materials, length, and weight, the Tracker should cost between $70-$120. But I wouldn't even pay $70 for it because of its blade design. The most I'd pay for one would be around $30.

Recommendations:

-For a knife of similar length: Ontario Rat 5, Ontario Rat 7, Cold Steel Recon Scout, Ka-Bar Becker BK7, Ka-Bar Becker BK2

-Similar weight: Ontario Rtak ii

-Similar price: Cold Steel Natchez Bowie in SK-5 steel. About the same weight and price but a much better cutting tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, August 15, 2013
Ok I admit it I first saw this knife yrs ago in the movie. I have had other Tops knives and have always been a big fan. So decided why not add to my collection. When I bought this is came with 2 sheaths a nice kydex sheath and a very well made leather sheath. After unboxing this knife I quickly realized that this would actually be a very useful knife for camping and general field craft.

Long story short this knife is now part of my kit that I have set aside in case my wife and I need to survive off the land. My survival training comes from years in the USMC and going to many if not all of the big courses the USMC/Navy have to offer. So while I don't spend a great deal of time with the survivalist mentality. I have a very healthy respect for what is needed and what needs to be done. Make no mistake above all else quality gear is important. If you need to live off the land or in a harsh setting your gear must be up to the task.

And this knife does many of the things a smaller camp knife needs to be able to do and it does them very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected, January 3, 2013
D. Stidham (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
Heavy duty tool for chopping and other serious work. Not a fighting knife or made for delicate tasks. Good knife.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›