4.0 out of 5 stars Decent tool for the $$
Picked this up at a local retailer, and after reading a misleading review from another user decided to give a more experienced opinion.

Published on October 15, 2012 by McJoe

1.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting to hear from Browning
Published 9 months ago by dead_left_knife_guy

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent tool for the $$, October 15, 2012
This review is from: Browning 231 Outdoorsman Axe (Sports)

First this is a lightweight, moderate duty axe. The design, grind, shape, size, and weight make it a useful light felling/limbing axe. I think Browning might consider it a decent game processing/quartering/skinning axe, though I suggest one uses a file to give it a nice and sharp convex edge. Might also make a decent survival/bushcraft or self defense tool in a pinch. The poll of the axe is sufficient for hammering stakes and felling wedges, and appears to be hardened. Just remember, let the tool do the work, don't swing the the Hulk on a rampage... The grind on this axe is thin. It's meant to bite deep, as one user found. I recommend you swing across the gran, not with it, as it was intended. I would not recommend you use it for splitting anything but kindling or skulls.

The handle is polypropylene, semi flexible, relatively thin, comfortable in my hands, and very tough in it's own way. In my mind it has several advantages and several drawbacks when compared to more rigid handle materials, such as wood or glass nylon. The flexibility absorbs shock. The material is impervious to the elements. The flex does use some energy, making this axe less efficient than a wood or nylon axe handle, though this is probably an indicator that I'm swinging too hard and not letting the axe do it's job (the head does the cutting, not me or the handle). Simple physics tells us that a lighter axe will take longer... me swinging like a gorilla doesn't help. Be patient, or get a bigger axe.

As a person who has broken both wood and nylon axes, the latter being dubbed as "indestructible" (fiskars/gerber) it is nice to know I have an axe that, though it may not chop quite as well as other options, seems to want to hold up. The gerber axe cracked and fell apart just south of the head, after several missed blows on a splitting wedge, and was less than a week out of the box. I have damaged wood handles in the same way... With the head molded to the handle on the Browning axe, I doubt separation will occur, and the polypro is much more forgiving of errors and missed strikes, taking nicks but never cracking or bending. 3 years and it's still swinging.

Again, this is a light/medium duty tool. Take it hunting. Take it camping. Grab a couple for the Mayan Zombie Apocalypse... Don't take it lumber-jacking off in the woods. One reviewer found out the hard way. Know your tools before you go hurt yourself :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting to hear from Browning, March 26, 2014
This review is from: Browning 231 Outdoorsman Axe (Sports)
I picked this axe up last summer in preparation for our annual cabin trip. I intended to use it for small stuff, kindling primarily, which sounds like the better use reading other reviews here. As I was waiting on it to arrive in the mail, we had a horrendous wind storm hit that knocked over 80' conifers. I used an old Stanley axe and a vintage plumb hatchet to help the neighbors & to cut up a several hundred pound box elder limb that was leaning against a street light pole in front of our house.

The Browning axe came in the mail & I still had some box elder to work with to get to know this axe a bit. I honed to nearly razor sharp on a WorkSharp & took the axe out to the yard. I wondered why the blade sparked more on one side than the other, but figured I must have been holding it differently.

Turns out the beard veered off center about 15 degrees, getting progressively worse from about 2/3 down the blade to the bottom of the cutting edge. Usable? Sure. But why, I figured, when I'm sure Browning will stand behind this manufacturing defect.

Well, it's been about a month & a half since I sent the axe to them. Call their customer service number & all you get is an address to which you should send your item for repair, & instructions to include a note regarding the problem. No email option, no instant customer service option on their website, nothing 21st Century like that. I know, you're thinking, "Seriously?" Seriously.

I received an acknowledgement form 1 or 2 weeks ago that they received my "Browning product", so at least I know it got to them, but until then I had no idea if it was lost in the mail or confiscated by Customs or what (kidding, I live in the US, Customs shouldn't be involved -- but who knew? It took them over a month to communicate with me). All I can think now is that it's sitting on a shelf in a warehouse full of shelves of items waiting for repair, categorized who knows how, much like that shot at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, knowing only that my axe cost a lot less than the firearms they're far better known for, realizing my little axe repair is likely way, way down their list of priorities.

So I'll let you know what I hear. I keep hoping a new, straight axe will arrive in the mail any day now, but already expecting it will be a couple months still before that happens.

While the design of this axe merits at least 4 stars, I'd give the axe a 2 that I received because of the edge problem (likely the result of the heat treat process), but Browning's customer service is pulling it down to 1 star. I hope I have a couple more stars to add in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic lightweight axe, perfect for camping/backpacking, July 11, 2012
This review is from: Browning 231 Outdoorsman Axe (Sports)
I love this axe. It holds a good edge and does the job well. Its light weight makes it perfect for camping and backpacking where you would use an axe for light to medium duty work. For those complaining it isn't sturdy enough, I wonder what they are trying to do with it? If you are looking to clear 50 acres of forest to build your farm, get a chainsaw and a backhoe!

1.0 out of 5 stars Skip it, spend your cash on something else., November 23, 2014
This review is from: Browning 231 Outdoorsman Axe (Sports)
If I could give this axe a negative star I would. I originally bought this to take with me on backpacking trips as it was light, and owning a few Browning firearms, I figured it would be well made. I was going to split a few oak logs for the fire place, first strike on an oak log, the bit stuck. Which is completely normal, but when I try to remove the blade by normal means, ie. raising and lowering the handle by hand, snap. The damned handle broke less then six inches from the axe bit. Why any outdoors man, camper, prepper, what have you, would rely on this is beyond me. It is completely and utterly trash. I'm not even going to keep the head to hang on another handle. Save your time money and frustration and by something else. Drop the cash for a Gransfors Bruks, if you need a serious tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice axe, July 23, 2012
Great camp axe used it this weekend putting up deer stands. Handle has a little more flex than I like which is why I did not give it a 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great axe for small jobs, December 15, 2013
Roger J Baumeister (Columbia, Mo United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Browning 231 Outdoorsman Axe (Sports)
Excellent Axe for what it is intended for, such as limbing a downed tree with limbs less than 3-4 in diameter. It is not for felling large trees. You won't find a sharper axe. It makes quick work of small limbs. It is a light weight axe great for smaller jobs or around camp

3.0 out of 5 stars browning axe, July 13, 2013
This review is from: Browning 231 Outdoorsman Axe (Sports)
Well made. Feels wonderful in hand. That said does have drawbacks. Most notably the blade, which is more suited to being used as a knife/ulu vs being an axe as has tendency to chip easily. Rather disappointing as will not last very long at all. Better option to buy a boys axe or Hudson bay axe. I've used those for years and had less wear than this one in a meeting months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than a hatchet, smaller than a woodsman's axe, December 6, 2012
Bogotron "Bogotron" (Long Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Browning 231 Outdoorsman Axe (Sports)
If you want a great little axe that's light enough to swing quickly but sturdy enough to do some damage then this one is it. I have mine secured to the sidecar of my motorcycle and the look is pretty intimidating. Larger than a hatchet, it lets you put both arms into the swing. But it's only 23.5 inches long making it easy for a smaller person to handle.

The feel is well balanced and comfortable to hold. Nice addition to anyone's camping gear.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont waste your money, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Browning 231 Outdoorsman Axe (Sports)
i bought this axe for my boyfriends birthday he was very excited to get it i gave it to him to take on out backpacking trip.he had used a friends axe the whole trip last year and really wanted that exact one so that was what i got for him. on the second swing it broke in half! this prouduct was either defective or is now being made out of total junk!our friend still had his axe so we used his the rest of the weekend it did not break.my boyfriend uses a axe daily because we work on a farm where he needs to use one, he is no stranger to how to properly use one.this axe was junk!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 10, 2014