5.0 out of 5 stars PRIVATE LESSONS WITH BRUCE LEE!
I've just finished reading "Bruce Lee: Artist ofLife" -- what a book! It was just like having a private lessonwith Bruce Lee on a host of different topics! I enjoyed spending time with him as he discoursed on gung fu and Chinese culture; then attending philosophy classes with him at the University of Washington; moving from there on to the study of the mind as...
Published on September 28, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Overly Spiritual and Preachy
Published 6 months ago by R. Brummett Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Renaissance philosophy, May 10, 2013
Brian Malley (Ann Arbor, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bruce Lee: Artist of Life (Bruce Lee Library) (Paperback)
Although most people know Bruce Lee as an actor and a martial artist, he was also something of a philosopher, at least in his notebooks. And, annoyingly, he was good at that too. I have always found Lee's reflections on life and consciousness to be insightful, and they are the more impressive when one realizes how young he was when he had these insights. At any rate, Lee's thoughts are well worth pondering, so I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and insightful, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Bruce Lee: Artist of Life (Bruce Lee Library) (Paperback)
Bruce Lee is the embodiment of the focused and fiercely driven yet thoughtful individual that many of us aspire to be but rarely achieve. When we do read the thought process of such a boldly original individual, it reminds those of us on the path to creative self-actualization to not become discouraged and forge ahead despite life's many obstacles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Gift, January 10, 2013
This review is from: Bruce Lee: Artist of Life (Bruce Lee Library) (Paperback)
Again i got this for my sister who is a Bruce Lee fan since she was able to read. This was just an addition to her collection, and I have not heard anything negative from her so I suspect she LOVES it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A true artist of life, November 11, 2009
Bookman do (Mumbai, India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bruce Lee: Artist of Life (Bruce Lee Library) (Paperback)
This is an excllent collection of Bruce Lee's thoughts on art, martial art, acting, psychology & life in general. It captures the evolution & refinement of Bruce Lee's thought process from his Gung Fu days to his Jeet Kun do days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get into his mind..., December 23, 2005
This is just my 2 cents. I've always been interested in what else Bruce had to say, besides things of just in the martial way. This book is a great addition to anyone's library. You get to see what is going on in one of the Legends of our time. I thank you that the information was shared with us. It can bring positivity, inspiration and creativity. Thank you for your time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overly Spiritual and Preachy, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Bruce Lee: Artist of Life (Bruce Lee Library) (Paperback)
Lee traveled back and forth from China and the U.S. shooting his martial arts films. He probably wrote these as journal or diary entries while producing his films. I've seen most of his films and I'm not really impressed with his book. Yes, if you love Bruce Lee and think he was the best kung fu fighter ever to walk the Earth then get the book. However, as a book itself it wasn't that great.

Most of his wisdom and advice that he preaches has been passed around for centuries. It might have even been verbatim from Confucious for all I know. "You must be shapeless, formless, like water" sounds pretty awesome when you know the guy was beating up 20 guys by himself with his bare hands and had a practically perfect physique, but as philosophy that stands alone by itself no one other than a dorky 8-year old boy would be walking around telling everyone about how great and original it was.

Most of the quotes attributed to him are practically retarded and I'm not sure if it was a language barrier or getting kicked in the face too many times, but many of his assertions are very spiritual, holistic, involving confusing metaphors, bad advice, and talking about the universe as if it was his body.

Again, if you want to know the life of Bruce Lee more get the book, but don't be surprised if his philosophy doesn't stand the test of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I never knew the man, January 9, 2000
By A Customer
Of Course I'd heard the name Bruce Lee before but I thought he was "only" a gifted actor trained in some martial arts. After a discussion with my grown son about Lee's approach to tao and self-defense, I decided to read something about him. This book amazed me. Bruce Lee was first and foremost a seeker. The fact that he was able to develop his mind, spirit, AND body is incredibly inspiring. I meditate and do Pilates but now I think I'll study Jeet Kune Do as well!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not as good as I thought it might be, February 25, 2012
Cwn_Annwn (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bruce Lee: Artist of Life (Bruce Lee Library) (Paperback)
This book is a collection of writings penned by Bruce Lee. I wasn't as jazzed on this as I thought I might be but there were still some gems to be found in this book. One problem is a good portion of this book was the same essay several times over in a revised version. There was also a lot of stuff like term papers Bruce Lee wrote when he was a philosophy major in college and some poetry he had written so its not all martial arts stuff. Overall it was interesting if your interested in Bruce Lee or martial arts but still somewhat of a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, January 1, 2004
Bodhidharma (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Read this book recently and was amazed at the wealth of information available in it. Bruce Lee was a well rounded personality who was striving to be a complete human being and this book definitely helps in educating how far evolved he was not only as a martial artist but also as a person. As pointed out by other reviewers, some of the information in this book is already present in some previous publications of John Little, but this book is probably the most comprehensive collection of Bruce Lee's hand written poems, articles, letters and philosophy, some of his own and some of other philosophers like Hesse, Krishnamurthy, etc. I intend to read and re-read this book many times as I have found it truly inspiring and educational.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Book!, November 7, 1999
As a first-year college student, I'm required to read a good many books on a good many subjects. My major is sociology and after reading "Artist of Life" I am going to do my major term paper on the thought and philosophy of Bruce Lee! This is without question the best book I have ever read. Not just the "best Bruce Lee" book, but THE best book! Its topic range is so broad and its content is so deep. I learned so much about the real Bruce Lee from this book. Here was truly a man of substance. Get this book. It's simply the best book I've ever read.

Bruce Lee: Artist of Life (Bruce Lee Library)
Bruce Lee: Artist of Life (Bruce Lee Library) by Bruce Lee (Paperback - April 1, 2001)
$18.95 $12.75