100%
Bruckner: Symphony No. 9; Rotterdam Philharmonic; Jeffrey Tate
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$23.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 21, 2011
I think the title in my slug says it all. Basically this is territory that I didn't know that Jeffrey Tate had attempted or tackled. He is famous for 18th century Mozart, but late 19th century Bruckner? It turns out that the answer is yes he is a Brucknerian at least for this performance on EMI's Red Line release.

His approach if I should be so critical is just a bit sterile, but with this vision he brings balance and a neutral character not usually assoicated with this composer. I almost feel dumb in saying the notes and nothing, but the notes are played as they were written. This is the case though and the result is what I like to call in this performance steady power. Tate doesn't so much as interpret or indulge himself as just read what is on the page of the score.

The Rotterdam Philharmonic is top drawer don't let anyone let you be told otherwise. I think that they are a highly underrated band of musicians. Not as famous as the Concertgebouw, but overall I rate them with very high marks. The engineering is good in this recording, but the bass isn't the deep as it could be and the high end does trail off a little faster than one might expect.

When it is all said and done the weakest link in this recording is the engineering. Tate and the Dutch orchestra do their best to bring about a recorded document of Bruckner's last symphony (the 9th).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again