Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on March 17, 2012
I bought this toy for my three year old son as a present from his newly born baby sister. In a word, he "LOVES" this crane truck. He has played with it incessantly since he received it a few days ago. He even tried to sleep with it one night. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this truck is so huge that he had to settle for having it by his bedside at night.

While my son's enjoyment of the truck is ultimately paramount, as a parent I have the following comments for other parents who may be thinking about investing in this truck for their child.

THE GOOD:
- Truck is HUGE (boom is 53" tall when fully extended)
- Truck is a highly accurate model. Right down to the counterweights.
- Although made entirely of plastic (with the exception of the tires), the materials are thick and have put up with some rough play for a while.
- Bruder offers spare parts at relatively good prices.

The BAD:
- Price. Although big and accurate, the toy is made mostly of plastic. For this price, I would like to have seen at least some die cast parts.
- The crank for the crane "cable" is plastic and relies on three small teeth that interlock with a gear to hold hook/cable at a specified length. Most three year olds (my son included) will likely have a problem understanding that the crank must be pulled outwards (to disengage the teeth) before the crank can be turned. I am certain that my son will break the teeth in short order. To be fair, this toy is designed for ages 4+, and the crank is probably the main reason why.
- The first truck I ordered was damaged, either during the manufacturing process or during shipping. Amazon's RMA process was easy as usual, but it was frustrating because I could not give my son his present at the appropriate time. Another Bruder truck I ordered also had some minor damage when it arrived, but it wasn't worth it to me to return. I'm not sure who to blame, the manufacturer or the shipper.
- Durability: Again, the toy is mostly plastic. Whether or not it will hold up over time remains to be seen. I suspect not.

The Nice to Know:

-The box recommends this toy for ages 4+. Having seen my 3 year old interact with it for a few days now, I can say with confidence that this really is a toy for a slightly older child. My son has great fun playing with the crane, but he will not "get" how all of the parts work until he gets a bit older, I think. My 5 1/2 year old nephew, however, immediately understood how to operate the crane and had great fun with it during a recent visit.

- The one metal part included in this toy is the crane "hook." It is pretty easy to whip this hook around while the boom is extended. Parents may want to advise their children to be careful and monitor young children that play with this toy until they are comfortable that their child will not bonk themselves on the head. It would be analogous to being wacked on the head by a 3 ounce sinker while it was cast by a fishing rod. Talk about a big ouchie. I'm not saying the product is dangerous. It's not. Parents should just be careful to make sure that their child is aware of metal hook, particularly as it swings as the crane moves.

OVERALL:
-Great toy. Highly recommend for ages 4+. A careful 3+ year old would be fine too.
on December 29, 2010
Purchased this crane on Amazon for my 4 yr old son.

The detail and functionality are awesome.

It's not inexpensive but it's worth the cost.
on September 11, 2011
My son has an intensive collection of Bruder toys and this truck is the biggest heaviest and best looking of all. For $83 it's a steal. You will not be disappointed. Buy this truck and the Scania dump truck. You'll soon find your inner kid again.
on December 26, 2011
My 4 ½ year old son received this truck from Santa. He loves it and has played with it non-stop since opening it Christmas morning. The crane extends to a height taller that he is. It is made of seemingly durable plastic and it looks very well built. I will say that I was a little surprised at how difficult it was to pull the stabilizer legs out (or whatever they're called.) I felt like I was going to break it with the force I had to use. Pulling the poles down from the stabilizer legs is not much easier. Once you use them a few times, they seem to get easier. Also, the door on the crane operating cab slides, and it does not slide smoothly. My son has had to ask me to open it several times. It has to be "just so" to open. The doors on the cab of the actual truck are great, and he uses his Playmobil figures to drive. They work very well in this truck. The crane cord itself has a very sturdy and somewhat heavy metal hook attached to it. When my son tried to lift Lincoln Logs at the end of the crane, again, I was surprised that the crane could not handle the weight (of Lincoln Logs?!?!) and it dropped to the floor. He didn't seem to mind, but for $100 I wasn't super impressed. No matter, he loves it and will most assuredly have this for a long time to come. I will say that if you don't already have some sort of flatbed truck to use with the crane truck, you might want to purchase one along with it as well as some sort of basket that can attach to the hook. He spend a lot of time searching through the house for something to use at the end of the hook.
on December 29, 2014
How does this truck not have sound and working lights? For the price, size and attention to detail, that I don't understand. Kids need sound and noise. Period. With that said, my almost 4 year old son adores this crane truck. Made for an excellent Christmas gift. All it took was a few minutes of Dad explaining how everything worked and he was off scouting the house for things to lift. (Again, for this price, you would think they could include at least one item to go along with the truck that can be lifted? A pile of logs, something!) He loved all the tool box openings on the truck. Again, he was scouting for things around the house to put inside those compartments. The hook is aluminum which is kind of disappointing. If it were magnetic, kids could haul around a lot more things I think. We will be hiding this toy when younger kids come over to play as they will destroy it. It is a very nice toy but definitely for kids age 4 and older like they recommend. If that guideline is followed, I would imagine it will last for years to come.
review image review image
on December 31, 2011
I love this truck, I'm 13 years old and I love this truck more than I do for MUTCH more!
I say this is great for young boys whanting to lern all about how construction toys work!!!!!!!!
This is the best present for birthdays and Christmas presents! It's a thick durable plastic that
with be able to withstand heavy Loads this crane can hold.
This is my favorite toy ever!!! I may sound like a 4 year old, but this is my afternoon fun!!!!!!!
on July 15, 2013
This is another fabulous Bruner product. It is quite large, but not too big. The crane works very well, and can hold quite a bit of weight. It has lifted other trucks, large stuffed animals etc. tons of fun. The supports that can extend on the sides work great.
on January 1, 2012
My Grandson is only three but this Crane Truck in his words is "amazing". He and his dad have had lots of interactive time together. Dad has shown & explained how everything works on it. Works just like a real crane. We all love it!
on July 18, 2013
anything bruder is good, but you pay for it. this truck has been in action for 4 months and nothing has broke and he still plays with it everyday. this is a good buy. I would say 5 yrs and up. I even play with it,lol.
on July 14, 2015
Very nice truck crane for a little boy. I bought it for my 3year old son and he loves it a lot. He plays with it pretty often...even my 6year old son envy him and always wants to play it too. The doors open and has another attachment to make a longer/taller crane. However, it doesn't make any sounds, nor doesn't have any lights...I would prefer lights and sound, -seems a bit pricey without that.
review image