Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on January 23, 2011
I bought this truck for my daughter's 5th birthday. She'd seen it in the Bruder catalog that came with her younger sister's Man garbage truck, and talked about it for weeks after Christmas, so we didn't hesitate to make it her 'big' birthday gift.

I tried it out a bit when it arrived and was immediately impressed with the spinning drum. I put in a few marbles, and discovered that - as advertised - the drum can be cranked in one direction to mix the contents, and the other direction send the contents down the chute. Like our garbage truck, the inside of the drum is a simple Archimedes screw-type design. The chute comes with two snap-on extensions which can be stored on either side of the truck and can be easily attached/detached as desired.

Of course, my daughter's fondest desire was to make 'real cement' (ie. a water/sand mixture) and send this down the chute to, she says, make 'perfect sand castles.' So after unwrapping this truck, playing around with it indoors with marbles, shoving the cab full of her Playmobil people (which are really a quite nice fit, if slightly out-of-scale with the truck), she demanded an outdoor trial.

You actually can, technically, fill the drum with sand and water, this is true. And it will, if you don't dilly dally, come down the chute when turned in the correct direction. But, the drum is not sealed and this created a bit of an issue. Sand and water will dribble out on the part where the drum rests on the bed up by the cab, creating friction on the spin of the drum. This can be gotten around somewhat by manually turning the drum, rather than using the crank, but even then the drum is difficult to turn and she found this a bit frustrating and demanded my help on a few occasions. No big deal. This friction, I will add, also strips the blue stripes around the same area of the drum which are a vinyl-type appliqué. Not that this has ruined the truck's appearance or anything. It's a very small area. But.. I'd rather hoped that this truck might fare better as an outdoor plaything.

The second issue is that I've not yet found a way (and this could just be me being overly cautious or missing some obvious detail) to fully open the drum. It seems possible, but every time I attempt it, I think forcing it might break something. This becomes an issue when our curious three-year old stuffs Calico Critters, Playmobil people, wrapping paper and other large/oddly shaped objects into it. Of course, turning the drum is futile if the object is too big to go down the chute, so a grown-up has to turn the truck upside-down and try to wriggle the object between the obstacles to get it out. A little annoying and tedious.

All the same, the kids do love it. They are mostly content playing with it indoors, and my five year old is pleased with the objects that do work well in the drum: small rocks and marbles. She's also thrilled with having the doors to the cab open, being able to look at the engine compartment and simply zooming the truck to and fro. It's a massive toy, but it is very nicely made of sturdy, safe ABS plastic, and is attractive, realistic and superbly detailed. Most of the parts are durable enough for the 4+ set, save for the rearview mirrors. There also appears to be no water tank on this variation of the truck, so the people referring to that may be referring to another truck by Bruder.

For the price we got it for (it was a pretty drastic discount after Christmas) I think it was a fine deal, and will see lots of play - even if not the precise sort of play my daughter hoped for. I've come to the conclusion that Bruder trucks are really better indoor toys, after having bought this - our second one.

Country of origin: Germany
on December 17, 2007
My 2 1/2 year old son loves trucks. He studies the way it works and plays with it for hours. He dropped some coins in it and I thought we would never get them out but when we spun the mixer the coins came out. It turned into a game.
on September 2, 2013
My big problem with this is the Amazon blurb stated it was suitable for 36 month olds and the package says clearly age 4 and up.
My grandson, age 3, was thrilled with it but the first thing he did was stuff the hopper with play dough. His daddy got it out and he promptly refilled it. If they can get that little problem straightened out I am sure we will all love it. It seems sturdy enough and he loves all the things he can do with it and seems to find more all the time. Worth the money.
on February 21, 2014
My 3 year old loves this truck! It's a huge truck which my son loves! However he was able to ripe the doors off pretty easily...one door actually broke, and other door we were able to snap back into place. Other than that it's a great truck! I will definitely be purchasing more Bruder products in the future.
on August 22, 2013
We have two from Bruder (Cement truck & Trash truck) and both are very well made. My 3 year old loves them. We also have a 5 year old and 6 year old that love it too. You know it is a good toy when it is the one fought over...

We've had it in the sane box as well and it still does well after being filled with sand and water.
on January 7, 2009
We bought this product for one of our eight year old twin grandsons as a Christmas gift. Jack had seen it this past summer at FAO Schwartz and insisted on it as a gift. He loves it! He and his brother put jelly beans in the mixer and run it to have them come out the mixer into their mouths. It is a durable product which is important in their house of four pre-teen boys. And, I am impressed by the savings we received by buying it from Amazon.com. For youngsters interested in trucks this would be a great buy.
on February 13, 2014
I got this for my son's 3rd birthday because he wanted a cement mixer so bad. After looking around on Amazon for products, I decided on this one because he could actually dump and it looked like such good quality....I was not wrong! The quality of the product is amazing!!! It is heavy duty and has withstood my 3 year old's play. I gave him some corn and he loves to dump that. There are a lot of working parts such as the door opens, the chute moves, the mirrors can move, and the hood can open and close. As I said my son plays hard and the piece that he spins to turn the drum broke off quick. I was not a very happy mom then checked on the Bruder website and was able to order 2 more of those pieces for free shipping and very little cost! It's nice to know they have so many extra pieces for their products. The shipping of the pieces was also fast. I love this product and that it makes my son so happy!!
on September 2, 2013
I bought this for my 3yr.old grandson for his birthday. very realistic, with many moving parts for him to play with...there is a mix turn and a dumping turn for the load...his first load being small jelly beans filling his dump trucks. he played with it for 45 min. straight...loved it! Wish the truck had turning ability...only moves straight forward and backward.
on April 12, 2016
My son loves these trucks we have bought many of the Bruder Trucks they are more expensive but they are very well made and my son loves them so much so usually Christmas times and birthdays he asks for a Bruder truck of some sort and he has many of them so we decided to get this one for him and he absolutely loves it he is so excited you would not be disappointed if you were to buy this for your child your grandchild or for whoever
on April 27, 2014
This was the first Bruder truck we bought (we have since bought four more). My son really wanted a Concrete Mixer for his birthday, so we gave him this and the melissa a doug construction worker dress up costume. He felt like a pro!

We have used beans and rice in the barrel. Beans are easier and cleaner to work with. The truck spins on the wheels so smoothly, the doors and mirrors are so realistic, and the cab is perfect for a bruder driver (which we also bought). My son has put the chute pieces in the barrel, but they came out easy (so far everything he has put in came out easily).

The door did break off after just a few hours of play, but I contacted Amazon and they quickly sent me a new truck. The new truck has been played with regularly for 6 months and is still in fabulous shape. I believe the first truck was just a fluke, and Amazon was great to work with.

Update: After almost two years of play the knob used to twist the barrel broke. My son felt horrible, but I quickly got on line and found out you can buy a new piece from bruder for just $2. They sell several replacement pieces for each truck, and shipping is free. Bruder really is such a great company and we have always been pleased with the durability of their trucks.