Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on January 16, 2008
Certainly satisfactory optics for viewing. Not real bright view, the edges of the field of view are a bit soft, but for the price this is markedly better than the cheapy binoculars often sold for ten or twenty bucks. This monocular is very small and light-weight. Handy carry case that fits on your belt. A nice little piece of field equipment to carry in the outdoors, to concerts, and for travel. Comes with a lint/cleaning cloth and a handy wrist strap. 3 stars primarily to be honest, objective and let you know this doesn't compare to something with much more expensive optics. It's really a 5 star rating when compared to anything in its price class.
0Comment95 of 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2007
This product met my expectations for a monocular priced under $30, except the close focus wasn't quite as close as advertised. Instead of 13 inches, it is more like 15-16 inches, but it focuses very smoothly and is free of major defects or optical aberrations.
0Comment43 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2009
I have, for years, carried a small set of binoculars on my canoe/camping trips. I got the smallest, lightest set I could and they still were heavy and took up a 5" x 1" x 3" space in my pack. Recently I got the idea from a fellow solo-tripper on the monocular. Wow! what a difference it made for me. This is about the size of my thumb!

I found a webpage (somewhere) that told me what I wanted to know - what power to get??? The old binoculars were 10xsomething...but I learned - for what I want - I want low power (less shaky images in low power with a monocular) - so I am really glad I learned that. this is plenty powerful for my needs:

checking for portage trials from the water, looking at wild animals, looking ahead at water routes, etc...this is just about perfect. I got the orange so I can find it in a hurry from my pack and the small size means it also fits nicely in my PFD pocket. all in all I really like it.
0Comment63 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2009
This is a great little scope. It fits in my pocket (or on my belt with the case). Very clear and sharp images. I've used it for watching football, marching bands, birds, seals, boats, whatever. It focuses easily, and I can use it with my glasses or without (which is a definite plus for me).

This scope is perfect for people that want something small to carry around, so they'll actually use it.
55 comments30 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2008
I looked this up after I saw it being used by Kiefer Sutherland on 24. I'm very pleased with it. For a pocket scope it's very powerful and best of all, it has a very sharp image. I have two or three other pocket scopes, but this is the best.

For a pocket microscope my favorite is the one from the Discovery Store. For a pocket scale, try the 600gm digital sleek portable scale from Half Baked Goods.
0Comment32 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2012
I had one of these and wanted to purchase a second to keep with my backpacking stuff. When looking for a second one on line I found there were many other models available. I decided to order a dozen different models to try them and make a decision. This model had by far the worst optical quality of all the models I tried, it was a definite step below the all the others available. If you're looking for something inexpensive and compact like this model try the Carson Close-Up Monoculars, it is similar in price and size and offers a much better image. Another good choice in this price range is the BRUNTON 8x22 mm Monocular - 81-00682. It is waterproof and has a very good image also. However, it is a bit larger and it's close up focus is only about 15 ft. If cost is no object, the hands down winner of my survey was the Nikon 7x15 High Grade Monocular.
22 comments53 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2007
I purchased this Brunton Pocket Scope for the purpose of looking into my micro reef aquarium to see with more detail the tiny creatures inside. It works reasonably well for this purpose, and certainly better than probably all other pocket scopes on the market since it has a near focus of 13 inches. Of course, to maintain focus at such close range, you need to be quite still. There is an aquarium specific product that I suspect works much better, but it costs around $400 (if I remember correctly). Considering it costs less than $25 here at Amazon, the Brunton earns 3.5 to 4 stars.
0Comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2011
The monocular is ultra-light and compact so I don't even notice it in my backpack or pocket. As a consequence, I carry it far more often than I was carrying my compact binoculars.

However, because the unit is so light, it jiggles a lot which makes it desirable to use a support such as a tree or post. In addition, the width of field and depth of focus are limited, making it hard to locate and focus on a target, e.g., a raptor sitting on a transmission tower.

It is a decent value at its price point. I'm glad I have it, and would buy it again even knowing its limitations, but would advise a would-be purchaser to keep their expectations modest.
11 comment14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2008
On the whole, this is a nifty little instrument. Having such a long focal range (16 inches to infinity) in such a small package, for such a low price, is quite miraculous. This makes for a brilliant throwaway, super-small scope, for when portability is more important than quality. But it's not for serious viewing.

The 18mm objective doesn't capture much light at all, so the image, especially for distant viewing is quite poor. Comparing this scope with a larger unit, such as the 7x32 Carson monocular, I can't make out any detail at all with the Brunton, while the Carson (which has its own weaknesses) picked up a very clear image.

For close-focus viewing (i.e., less than 20 feet), it performs much better, but still not better than close-focus monoculars with a larger objective. Either way, the image has imperfections that are commonly seen in bargain optics, such as chromatic aberration and barrel distortion.

It's been years since I purchased this scope, and while I still use it, it's only for activities such as river rafting, as under normal circumstances its poor image makes it almost useless. As such, I can only recommend this monocular to someone who needs a micro-size spotting scope (either close- and/or distant-focus) that is vanishingly small in size, and wouldn't break the bank if it got lost/damaged. If you are looking for a reasonable scope that would benefit from being small, then I'd advise you to continue looking.
on February 15, 2010
This scope is really a good one whether it is 13" or 100 yards. I would highly recommend it.