5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky to have found this Lamp, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Brunton Liberty Mantleless Butane Canister Lantern (Sports)
Ya gotta LOVE the internet. It appears this item may not be available from Brunton any longer. However, if you can locate one or if Amazon receives them again I cannot recommend this more highly. I quite literally spent at least 5 hours searching the web for this item. I finally located one at a surf shop in Hawaii and it was their last one. Every other site that listed this lantern had the same notation...out of stock; don't know if or when they'd have more.

Keep in mind there are no perfect solutions to back-packing supplies. There is a constant tug of war between weight vs convenience vs functionality vs versatility.
I also subscribe to triple redundancy. I now own This Manteless lantern, a Primus Micron Lantern with Piezo Ignition and a UCO Original Candle Lantern. No, I am definitely NOT a minimalist backpacker. I survived no less than three taxpayer funded survival courses and while I learned a great deal about surviving with little more than my wits I also learned that to intentionally put myself in a situation without adequate supplies is just plain STOOPID! So to you purist-minimalists I say Good Luck and G-D Bless. For my purposes, I've done my time for G-D and Country and I don't have a problem carrying extra weight for extra comfort.

I'll work in reverse:

The candle lantern is great for my BOB (bug-out-bag). Pros: Light weight, small volume, reliable and 3 candles should give you enough burn time for a week. No heavy, bulky gas canisters to carry. I store it in a neoprene case as it has a glass 'dome'.
Cons: It has a glass dome. Low light output. Spring loaded assembly which pushes the candle upwards as it melts must be cleaned after each use to function properly. No real heat output on cold nights in the tent (higher heat is less a warmth factor than an aid in keeping condensation from forming inside the tent).

The Micron Pros: Packs into a small plastic container, takes up small amount of pack space. Works off the same gas canisters as my Primus stoves. It is very fuel efficient even at it's highest setting. It has a good range of settings before gas flow becomes erratic. It has a piezo starter. Screen rather than glass. Note: With glass you must be careful that there are no holes in the mantle or the glass can rupture. Screen very durable. Bright with fair amount of heat for tent.
Cons: Once the mantle has been 'burned-in' it is essentially ash and as such very fragile. I usually must replace the mantel every time I break camp. The screen makes it more susceptible to wind interference. No directional reflector. One of the many reasons to carry aluminum foil.

Brunton Liberty Pros: Probably the least important is the impressive design. I'm a nut job for gadgets that are well made and this thing is a work of art.
It employs a platinum coated burner which is what allows it to glow without a mantle. Piezo Starter. It has what I presume to be a generous heat-sink below the burner (I assume to protect the canister from overheating). Very bright. Although difficult to see in the photo illustration, it has two 'mirrored' wings that fold out from the main body. This allows both directional control and spread. It also means you can sit or lay next to it without being blinded. Great heat source. Though I do not recommend this as there is not a stable platform on top of the unit, you could use it to heat a cup of water. Comes with its own case. Takes up little pack space.
Cons: By my estimation (non-scientific) about 20% less fuel efficient than the Primus. A little more weighty than the Primus. Also has a minor issue in high wind. Pricey.

For me the winning Brunton factors are Top-of-the-line construction, great light output, great auxiliary heater. No Mantles to mess with. Compact storage. Same fuel as my stoves.

I would really like to read feedback from anyone who owns one of these. It seems odd to me but I have yet to encounter anyone who owns this unit and the only comments are from 5 year old magazine articles. Having just recently received mine I've only had two opportunities to use it but I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact and light, November 1, 2007
This butane powered lantern is very small and compact compared to other models, it doesnt weight much and you dont have to worry about breaking any glass. The only problem is that it provides about 60% of a mantle lantern light and is a bit more yellow. Also the light is more concentrated in a 180 degree radius because of the mirrors. However if you plan to camp for more than a couple of days, this is the best deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very compact, good performance, August 13, 2007
This lantern is very compact and quite durable. The burn time is excellent, several hours (4-5) on one canister. The only negative thing is the brightness is slightly less than a traditional silk-mantle lantern. I would say it's about the equivelant brightness of a 30-watt light bulb.

Rate and Discover Movies