4.0 out of 5 stars Good compass for the price
Published on February 13, 2012 by GR

2.0 out of 5 stars Air Bubbles/Oil Seal Problems
TWO OUT OF THREE COMPASSES PURCHASED DEVELOPED OIL SEAL LEAKS WITHIN TWO MONTHS OF USE RESULTING IN AIR BUBBLES FLOATING IN DISPLAY AREA MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO READ COMPASS
Published on January 3, 2007 by WILLY P

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Air Bubbles/Oil Seal Problems, January 3, 2007
WILLY P (WEST PALM BEACH, FL, USA) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed..., March 7, 2013
This review is from: Brunton Watchband Slider Waterproof Compass
I am a member of a search and rescue unit here in Idaho and wanted a product that I could use as a reliable backup to my Silva Ranger. I hoped to have something that would always be present as part of my EDC (Every Day Carry) gear to use both in keeping an instantaneous glance orientation while traveling quickly and also something that I might use if my main compass and GPS units were to fail or be lost. I was really disappointed as the Brunton Watchband Slider model 9068 compass does not achieve either objective. It fails to reliably point to magnetic north. It does not matter if I am indoors or out, near metal or away from metal. The needle is extremely sluggish and slowly settles in various random directions despite being held perfectly level in all conditions I have tested it. It is completely unreliable sadly. I could never trust my life or any other persons life to this device. If I have this device I have no idea where north truly lies.

I reported the problem to Brunton and they promptly replied and sent me the newer version of this compass with the silicon type rubber stretch band. I attached this to my watch and found overnight while it was resting on my nightstand that the band snapped! I found the compass detached in the morning lying next to my watch and no longer usable as shown in the attached picture I couldn't believe this as it failed in one night before I could even take it into the field! Both watch band compasses had large bubbles that had formed at room temperature - approximately 70 degrees indoors at 2500 foot elevation at home. Bubbles may not affect larger compasses accuracy but I wonder if the smaller ones begin to bind or drag with the bubble in the oil capsule as there is not much room for the disk to rotate in the capsule. The first slider model certainly was not able to find north at all. The second with the rubber band was much better as the disk was smaller but the strap broke right away. I have emailed Brunton a few days back and included the photos I pasted here but have not heard anything subsequently from them despite their "limited lifetime warranty." I have subsequently seen the review on the backpacklinglight website at the link below where the original slider model got a 1/5 review with persons reporting the same experiences that I have had. Really a bummer as it does not appear that there is a reliable backup compass available on the market. I now have two broken useless compassess. I think many of the manufacturers treat these as toys rather than navigational instruments. I don't understand why a company would put their name on a product that could result in a person being lost in the wilderness. I am sure that many outdoors people would spend much more money to purchase a reliable compass that is small enough for every day carry if someone would make such a device. I had hoped by going to a major manufacturer that produces higher end products I would get a navigational tool rather than a toy. I would hope that someone might read this and design something with a fast orientation needle like a Suunto Arrow 6 with a rotating bezel that could give a direction of travel line like a Suunto Clipper that attaches to the watchband. I do think that everyone who goes outdoors should always have a backup to their baseplate compass.

I have a Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1 watch shown in the picture that is solar powered but I want something very simple that is very unlikely to fail that is always with me no matter where I go. GPS units have batteries and can be dropped. A map and compass are part of the ten essentials for a reason. Sometimes you get separated from your pack and having something on your wrist that could really make a difference. The time to acquire orientation is slow on the Casio and must be manually refreshed whenever you need it which are drawbacks to a rapid glance orientation device that can be used quickly between taking out the larger compass in the field. It is solar powered but I remain wary of electronics for a backup failsafe device. I am still looking. I have ordered the new version of the Suunto Clipper (see the Suunto website, it is not sold on Amazon yet) and hope that it will be better. I found a compass called the NavELite by googling for wrist compass but it is expensive and I don't need a backlight and I do need it to fit on my watchband. The NavELite seems to have a band that includes wiring and a battery case and I don't really want this much bulk or expense as this is my backup compass. The Cammenga model has received some positive reviews and is another model I may try though it is not without its detractors either and it does not look as if it has any type of direction of travel bezel to take a bearing with. I am also not sure if it will fit on my watchband. Anyway, I hope you learn from my experience with the Brunton watch band compasses. If anyone finds a really rugged reliable compass with the above specs please point me there. Thanks!

Link to backpackinglight website review of Brunton Slider: (note amazon does not appear to allow links, google "backpackinglight brunton watchband compass" and you should find the review)
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compass for the price, February 13, 2012
This review is from: Brunton Watchband Slider Waterproof Compass
Decent quality for the price, most other watch compasses are more expensive(and bigger) or cheaper (and much lower quality). Size is perfect too, not intrusively big and adequate for just getting properly oriented. I was able to integrate it into a braided survival bracelet, and it was the perfect size. The rubbery natural of the housing makes it easy to stretch over slightly wide buckles or band segments. The loop is about 20mm wide, 13mm opening to opening, and about 2.5-3mm deep. Due to its elastic nature I was able to fit six strands of paracord through it snugly. The compass is accurate, but you won't be taking any bearings with it. I find it perfect for being in the city/traveling where I just need to make sure I'm heading the right way up a street, or on hikes for a quick check before heading down a trail junction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not recommend., April 18, 2013
This review is from: Brunton Watchband Slider Waterproof Compass
With the freight the compass ended up being about $24.00!!!! To top it off the compass itself popped off of it's "holder" on the very first day! A great name placed on a poor product! I generally feel ripped off. By the manufacturer and the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watchband Slider, Brunton Disc, September 10, 2011
Matthew "Matt" (Wilmington, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brunton Watchband Slider Waterproof Compass
I bought this to suppliant the compass built into my watch. It works great and is very well balanced, so it is very responsive and accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watchband compass, July 31, 2012
This review is from: Brunton Watchband Slider Waterproof Compass
Compass works great. Design and color should complement most watches. Probably works best with wider bands. Compass has a tendency to slip off - perhaps a drop of glue?

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, May 14, 2012
Tsarli (Vallejo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brunton Watchband Slider Waterproof Compass
In my personal experience this Brunton is more accurate than your run of the mill watch band compass and I've owned many of the latter over the years. Have slammed this on hard surfaces (railing, scaffolding, etc.) and it has yet to come unglued and "fly off" as stated in some reviews. Attached it to my home-made survival bracelet and it looks great on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good compass, but may be loose., October 10, 2013
This review is from: Brunton Watchband Slider Waterproof Compass
Great little compass. Fits well on my G-shock, it's a wide band. This is the second one i bought.
The first one, the compass fell off, leaving the holder on my watch. I went to look at the compass and was looking at nothing but the black holder. I was doing some rough work and it obviously was knocked loose.
The second one came and the compass part was taken off easily. I stuck some gorilla glue down there and then put the compass back on the holder. So far so good, and it has been a while. I'm happy, it's a nice compass. Just glue it down!

1.0 out of 5 stars Third Time Is Not A Charm!, July 17, 2013
SparklePony (San Diego, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brunton Watchband Slider Waterproof Compass
I have purchased Three (3) of these compasses and they have ALL LEAKED! Every single one! The second compass I purchased fell out of the plastic casing. I even spent time writing Brunton about how they could make improvements and giving them feedback on this compass; they did not respond. Sigh...

Bottom line is that this compass is not worth your cash. It will fool you by not leaking for about two weeks, and then it will be drained dry in about 2-3 months. Invest somewhere else!

2.0 out of 5 stars Plastic capsule is glued into rubber base, April 27, 2013
This review is from: Brunton Watchband Slider Waterproof Compass
The plastic compass capsule is glued into the rubber base. These fail in two ways, the base band cracks and the capsule comes unglued and falls out. These are OK for a compact survival kit but not robust as a watch band compass. I gave up on these and returned to using the much more robust Suunto M-9. Note that the M-9 is a standalone wrist compass that you cannot easily add to a watch's band.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›