Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Platform: PlayStation 3Change

on November 9, 2009
Let me preface this review by saying that I am not a huge fan of metal music nor of Jack Black. I listened to some Ozzy when I was growing up, and I think Jack Black is OK, but those weren't the reasons I bought this game. In fact, the first time I heard about this game, I had zero interest in it. However, playing the demo, reading some interviews with Tim Schafer, and seeing some of the art behind this game completely changed my mind.

The Pros:

The art in this game is fantastic - the world, the character design, the "legends" you uncover, even the user interface - are all a joy to encounter. I never got tired of finding a new viewpoint and watching the camera pan across some fantastic heavy metal landmark. And the various heavy metal demons they've thought up are brilliant.

The story is top notch. The plot of the main quest, and especially the "legend" back story are really well done.

The voice work is truly excellent. It really brings the characters to life.

The humor - maybe I have the mind of a 13 year old, but the game made me laugh out loud several times and kept me with a constant mental grin.

The music - even though I'm not a huge fan of the genre, it really fits the game world.

The world continues - once you beat the game you can keep exploring or finish side missions you haven't yet completed. And there seems to be a bridge to nowhere - maybe a possible DLC single player continuation? I sure hope so.

The Cons:

The single player campaign is short. I don't think you are really enjoying it if you finish it in 6 hours like some are claiming, but I had about 3 really in-depth sittings before I finished it.

The time you spend on the ground with your axe is even shorter. I enjoyed the first couple missions the most, where the game had you dungeon crawling a bit and defeating a boss enemy at the end. Gameplay shifts quickly to the troop directed stage battle mechanic, which I wasn't really expecting.

The side missions are repetitive, and actually not all that numerous. I finished them all shortly after beating the game. Make sure you seek out the uniquely named side missions though - some of them are real gems.

Other Thoughts:

You will be doing a lot of driving around. Several of the missions involve racing your car or driving around and blasting things. I actually enjoyed this part of the game, but it does seem like you are constantly in the Deuce.

The world is kind of small - it's not as expansive as say Fallout 3 or Oblivion. But I think it suits the game pretty well.

You can shock just about any four legged creature and ride it - I don't think I really realized this until after I beat the game. I don't think it will particularly help you much during the game, but it's kinda fun =D

After completing the game and exploring what I thought was pretty thoroughly, I've only completed about 40% Of the game according to my trophy score. I only discovered a little more than half of the bound serpents, and I find myself lacking the motivation to "complete" the scavenger hunting and the rest of the single player trophies. (How in the world can there possibly be that many things still left to find??)

I'm not a huge fan of the RTS style stage battles (I know Tim Schafer claims it is NOT an RTS, but..) I haven't yet played a multiplayer stage battle and I'm not real enthusiastic about doing so, and that is a BIG part of the replay value. You'll probably enjoy the game a lot more if you like the stage battles, but I'm not sure what type of player they are aimed at. For hardcore RTS players I'm sure it's really simplistic, and for those of us who just prefer to hack and slash, it starts to become a chore. You may enjoy them, but it didn't float my boat.

Overall this is still one of the best games I've played all year.
on October 21, 2009
If you are a Tim Schafer fan, this game is everything you hoped it would be... except for one nasty little surprise. The single-player campaign is a measly 6 hours (and that's being generous). I'm not a multiplayer kind of person - and if you share that sentiment, wait until this one drops in price. Once it's under $30 or so, it'll be worth every penny. Right now though, I felt a little cheated paying full price for half of a game.

Outside of that though, this game is all-around hardcore awesome! If you like multiplayer or don't mind the SHORT singleplayer campaign, then buy this now! Otherwise, you may want to wait a bit for a price drop.
on October 15, 2009
Brutal Legend is everything it was hyped to be, which is an extreme rarity in the world of video games. It's fun, it's clever, it's well written, it's pretty, it sounds great. What it is not, however, is long. While every element of the game ranges from enjoyable to fantastic, reaching the end in fewer than six hours was more than a little anti-climactic, and detracted fairly seriously from my overall opinion of the title.

There are numerous side quests scattered throughout the world (and the world IS open--roam all you like to kill time), and the six hour timer doesn't include those--fair is fair; I could've gotten more time out of the game. The problem there, though, is that most of the side quests are carbon copies of other side quests--to such an extent that if you take a look at them, they're using the exact same name and objectives.

I would sincerely recommend the game to anyone prepared to pay full price for a game they can finish in two sittings (or one marathon). Anyone else, though, I'm afraid ought to wait for a price reduction, or rent. It pains me to say it--I really wanted to love Brutal Legend--but it's true. I'll be trading it in (which I virtually never do), and repurchasing when it hits bargain bins.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2009
"Oh man...I hope I haven't been slaying hot chicks this whole time!"

Damn you Tim Schafer. You've been gifted with the ability to turn the most outlandishly wacky ideas (and not to mention potentially unmarketable) into some of the most funny and original games ever created. This makes you a godsend since most games these days are neither original nor funny (even when they try their hardest - I'm looking at you Halo and Grand Theft Auto clones). While I speak from a lesser-exposed point of view (I haven't yet had the pleasure of playing The Secret Of Monkey Island or Grim Fandango), I have played Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, and Psychonauts and I know a special game when I see it. While Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle were fun, Psychonauts is Schafer's first grand work, and one of the best games of the sixth generation. Psychonauts was full of all kinds of wacky characters, über-creative levels, subtle dark humor, innovative gameplay mechanics, responsive controls, and mature themes under all those bright colors (the Memory Reels are quite tragic and sad, mirroring the losses and hardships we've all faced). I consider Psychonauts to be one of the finest games ever made, and I guarantee that no matter what type of gamer you are, there's something for you in Psychonauts. And y'know what? This was Schafer's first game to be released on a console. Talk about starting with a bang! But with the video game market shunning innovation and constantly reproducing the same drivel over and over (I can't wait for another futuristic first person shooter that blatantly rips off Halo or Madden: The Same Game As Last Year), would Schafer be able to continue his tradition of creating something original in a sea of unoriginality?

Thankfully yes! Enter Brütal Legend, a game about heavy metal, made by a metalhead, for metalheads. While this will most likely turn off some people, it is insanely fun for me and will be for anyone who gets the slightest enjoyment out of listening to heavy metal. Pretty much everything about the game is great, save for a few minor things. The level design, characters, controls, gameplay, and especially, the soundtrack are all top-notch.

On the surface, the game is a basic hack-n-slash with free roam that turns onto a real time strategy (RTS) game at certain points. The hack-n-slash part is fun; you have an upgradeable battle axe and guitar that serve as your weapons, as well as a customizable hot rod, dubbed "The Deuce", armed with weapons and nitro. You can also perform solos with the guitar, similar to playing the the ocarina in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. They range from summoning The Deuce, playing a literally face-melting solo against enemies, and my personal favorite, calling in an air strike from a giant Zeppelin. While I don't care for RTS's, with the exception of Command & Conquer, it works here and is integrated nicely in the heavy metal universe. Instead of using gold or harvesting some other resource for funds to buy and build units, your "currency" is fans. You construct "merch booths" that spawn fans, which allows you to create new units for your army. The more merch booths you construct, the more fans you're allowed. Your home base is a stage which you must protect. You have all the usual units, but with a wonderful heavy metal spin: infantry are headbangers, ranged weapons are groupies with guns, tanks are skull covered ballistas, stealth guys are roadies carrying speakers, etc. The imagination and design of these things is amazing and heartfelt, showing Schafer and the design team really have a love for the source material. That being said, the RTS element is my least favorite part of the game. While the victory is indeed "brütal" when you win, the controls are a bit lacking in this regard. Issuing attack/defend commands can be a pain, and controlling an individual unit is nearly impossible. The cool part is that you can jump right into the battle and start dealing out death personally along side your troops.

The strategy element isn't really there, but that's OK for me. My "strategy" was to spawn as many units as possible, while upgrading my stage to produce more powerful units, and go gung-ho and destroy everything. This worked well until I realized you could spawn The Deuce and use it IN battle. This made things ridiculously fun and much easier since I upgraded it to maximum kickass-ness with missile launchers, flame jets, and one heck of a battering ram. I was shooting the bad guys, setting them on fire and running them over while simultaneously spawning more and more troops to help me kick butt.

The other missions are standard (and a tad repetitive) as far as most games go: recruit these people for your army, escort your caravan to the next area, stage battle, repeat. This isn't really a complaint because the repeated missions are always done in new and beautifully designed areas, so it still manages to stay somewhat fresh. There are side missions to earn you "fire tributes", which serve as the game's currency and let you upgrade your inventory. The game also has tons of things to unlock, collect and discover. I get an immense satisfaction from collecting stuff, so this made the game even more fun for me. Brütal Legend has upgrades, concept art, new solos, and new songs you can unlock by finding certain things. You can also free "bound serpents" to give you health and armor upgrades and find legends that tell the history of the metal land. And the game looks absolutely stunning. The entire game world is designed in the style of heavy metal album covers, conveying epicness in every sense of the word. Google Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo to get a sense of the game's style.

The soundtrack is the best part of the game. A good deal of my time was just spent driving around listening to The Deuce's radio, dubbed "The Mouth Of Metal". All different genres of metal are present here in the game's 108 songs, including the originators of heavy metal Black Sabbath, the thrash metal of Motörhead and Megadeth, the 80's hair/glam metal of Mötley Crüe, the modern power metal of DragonForce, and tons of tracks by lesser known but utterly awesome artists (Brocas Helm, Omen, Riot, etc.) that perfectly compliment the game. I think this is why I found the game to be so damn good compared to other reviewers because I truly love music, especially heavy metal, and because of this I was able to have more fun with the game than the average "radio listener". The original score by Tim Schafer's long time collaborator Peter McConnell is also superbly done.

And mark my words: Brütal Legend will suffer "Psychonauts Syndrome", receiving a decent critical reception but not becoming highly regarded until later.

So the bottom line? Brütal Legend rocks! While it's not without its flaws, it is lovingly crafted by true fans of metal and will be much more enjoyable to those that like metal. It may turn off the casual, but I say definitely check this one out.
VINE VOICEon October 22, 2009
This game is artistically and stylistically beautiful. And because it comes on bluray disc the HD sequence in the beginning looks fantastic. The game is more than decent. What is annoying is from time to time the camera's do odd things that make it difficult to do some moves.

Its apparent that from the very beginning that you will have to remember a bunch of special moves. They do a good job building this training into the narrative of the story. What really doesn't work for me is the overall game play.

Yes, it looks awesome, and is fantastic to go into the album covers of my youth. However, when it gets to the game play and doing moves with others that are supposed to assist you, it is often hard to pull off, not in a you suck and cant do it hard, but in the WHY WONT THIS WORK sort of way. I can abide some minor frustration game play, sometimes this game has more than tolerable issues with movement or fighting. This level of frustration ruins all of the fantastic artwork, open world, and even the excellent narration.

About the narration:
Jack Black is really funny with the context specific comments. He comes at this from the viewpoint of a monster roadie that has been stuck doing a boy band for some time. He is set free when he is killed by the massive stage set. Kind of weird; when did New Kids on the Block ever have a metal god as their stage set. Anyway, from this beginning Jack Black takes you on a journey that is both interesting and funny.

It is a very well made game, just needs some help with the controls. This may be patched at some point so keep tuned, seems like it is fixable. As it stands its a pain in the buttocks.

>> open world that is both fantastic, and \|;;| a joy for us over 30 that can remember vividly the glory days of metal.
>> Narration by Jack Black and guest appearances by Lemmy and Ozzy + more.
>> Funny characters

<< Control

If your into metal and enjoy Jack Black and his humor then this is a fine game for your library. Honestly I would recommend try it before you buy it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2010
I am in love with this game now. I bought it around Christmas time and finished it in normal difficulty mode pretty quickly without really understanding what I was doing. After taking a few weeks off, I had a hunch I was missing something so I restarted in brutal mode. This forced me to learn how to really play and I can't believe how much stuff I missed the first time around. I'm learning knew things every day and I'm totally addicted. Once I finish in brutal mode, I'm going to start the online multiplayer play. I've heard that's good but I wanted to make sure I really know how to play first. I'm thinking that I will be playing this game for a long time and although I've played both Drakes fortune one and two, I've already spent more enjoyable time with this game than both Drake's Fortune games combined.
My main point is that this game seems to get better all the time. I wasn't that impressed at first because there is a lot to learn making the game seem somewhat confusing and random, but now it is all making sense and it is super fun to play. I can't imagine there being a better game available on the market right now.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2010
It's a great game. Not because of the great graphics or mindblowing gameplay. It's really good because of the idea of putting metal legends and all of the metal culture inserted in the game. By the way, Ophelia is AWSOME!! I was laughing my guts out when i saw the "Fan Geisers". Lots of recognizable details of the whole metal culture of the 70's and 80's. I think is fun for people around their 40s but, in all is a good game for everyone. It has banned features for gore and swearing, if little children play it, so, parents, be at ease, but keep an eye on your children: monsters are really metal-like... so, if you remember the old album covers of metal bands, you'll know what I'm talking about.
on August 2, 2011
Awesome Game

This game is phenomenal. Very Heavy Metal oriented and it works very well. You can tell a lot of efforts went into making this game. The graphics are excellent and it is a real joy to ride in your car (The Deuce) while listening to a wide selection of heavy metal songs (100+ songs).

As other reviewers have mentionned, i think the only bad thing about this game is the lenght. It is a short game if you just complete the main mission. It can be done in about 6 to 8 hours. But, if you take the time to complete the side missions as well as findings all the unlockables, the game will obviously last you longer. I prefer taking my time and enjoy every bit that this game has to offer.

The side missions are a bit repetitive, but i find them entertaining. For me, i don't really care doing the race mission a few time or the ambush mission more than once. They are fun missions which change the pace of the game in my opinion. My favorite one is the hunter missions where you have to kill so many of a type of animals. Always fun to run over them with the Deuce.

One thing that i find really strange is the fact that Eddie can not jump. Sure, you can hold X and charge your axe weapon up which will make Eddie jump and strike with his axe. But, if you just want to jump, you are out of luck. I did not find this to be a real problem. Just annoying at times when you are block by a branch or a small rock and you have to go around it instead of just jumping over it.

The controls work well. It is very easy to pull some combos with your axe and guitar. The Deuce is also easy to drive even if at times, speed can play some tricks on you. You may run into obstacles if you go too fast with the Deuce. But, the car is very strong. You may see some smoke, but i have yet to break the car to the point it is destroyed.

For the unlockables, there are a lot. There's Serpents statues you need to free, legends statues you need to find, special jumps you need to make with the Deuce, Metal Forges you need to raise, Songs you need to unlock. In short, there are a lot of unlockables to keep you busy for a long while. Some are really well hidden and hard to find. I have not found them all yet and i will not cheat. I want the game to last longer. On top of that, you have a lot of upgrades you can purchase with fire tributes which is the game's currency. You can upgrade your Deuce, axe, guitar and much more at one of the Metal Forge where you are greated by none other than Ozzy Osbourne as the Gardien of Metal. Nice touch.

The RPG mode is not as bad as other reviewers have mentionned. It is different, but in a good way. The option to jump in the action and swing your axe or pull your strings is a nice touch. Some have said it ruined the experience. I think you either like it or you don't. I believe it was a different approach for a different game and it is done well. Works for me. Would not be the same Brutal Legend if the two modes of battles were not in.

In conclusion, I have had and still have a lot of fun with this game. Even if i just jump in the Deuce to drive around and listen to music while running over wild animals. I also love using the Face Melter with the guitar and see those poor guys faces melt.....mouaahahahahahha

here's my review for this game:

- Awesome graphics with HEAVY METAL theme
- Very entertaining story
- Driving the Deuce around
- Great selection of many heavy metal songs
- Lots of unlockables
- James Black as Eddie
- Ozzy as the Metal gardien

- Game can be considered too short
- Eddie can not jump
- Side missions can be repetitive
- Deuce can be hard to control when speeding
VINE VOICEon March 12, 2010
First let me say, I really wanted to love this game. I really did.

The demo had everything I love in gaming, funny dialog, excellent atmosphere, and great chracters and voice acting. And it was lots of fun.

Now enter the full game and I was left with a serious love/hate view of this game. I will break it down into these love/hate issues:

Awesome, awesome soundtrack
great dialog with lots of funny moments
Unique and engaging world
Simple but fun action
Driving the druid plow and listening to metal
Well written story (it's cheesy sure, but in a tong in cheek way that acknowledges the more absurd aspects of heavy metal music)

RTS gameplay
Sometimes choppy framerate on PS3 edition

I know that that sounds like a lot more pros than cons but the meat of the game is the RTS gameplay, which if you're not a fan of like me, can really bring down the experience. On top of that early battles are rather easy while the last couple require a speficic strategy that can make them controller-throwing difficult if you haven't figured it.

Framerate was also a mixed bag. I'm not usually one to complain about framerate but when it starts getting choppy during one the games "Guitar Hero"-type solos it can be irritating if it causes you to miss one. Luckily missing a solo doesn't happen that much as executing them is fairly forgiving.

Therefore when you account for all of this on top of the overly short single player campaign and what you're left with is a decidely mixed bag. Even more so if the RTS based multi-player doesn't interest you.

In short, if you're a fan of 1) Metal (and mostly retro metal at that) 2)Jack Black's brand of humor and 3) RTS-lite gameplay than this is a must buy. I went 2 for 3 and was let down. I suppose at this newly discounted price one might overlook some of this and just give it try as the aesthetic Tim Schafer built in this game is pretty cool.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I really wanted to like Brutal Legend. After all Tim Schafer is one of the industries best known storytellers. Sadly after finishing the game my conclusion is that Brutal Legend is more hype than substance and more filler than unforgettable experience.

There is undoubtedly some fun to be had in this game. Brutal Legend is and odd mixture of open-world exploration coupled with Real Time Strategy elements known as "stage battles". The voice work headed by Jack Black is top-notch. As is the heavy metal soundtrack. I'm a bit torn whether to categorize the graphics as merely passable or the stuff of last-generation. For sure the graphics are nothing revolutionary. Though the art-style itself is great and the world of Brutal Legend is imaginative.

Unfortunately the curious choices by Schafer & company to make Brutal Legend an open-world game ultimately harm the game more than adding to it. So much of this title is filler. Pointless side-quests that have you driving all over the world map to do a certain chore. The main storyline itself can probably be completed in 4-5 hours so I suspect the side-quests are mainly included to pad the game a bit.

Another curious element are the stage battles. These are RTS battles where you must build up and army of various units to attack an opposing army. The goal is to ultimately destroy the other army's stage itself. To say that these battles are out of place is an understatement. RTS games have never really found a comfortable home on consoles for a reason - mainly the control interface. Brutal Legend's RTS battles are no exception. The battles are awkward thanks to clumsy controls and a sluggish camera. The disjointed and unbalanced armies add to the frustration. Unfortunately there are several of these battles scattered around the storyline.

I was really hoping for a story driven, stylized game in Brutal Legend - the types of games Tim Schafer is known for. Unfortunately what I got was a game that would be more suitable in 2004 than in 2009. The tired open-world formula just doesn't work well here at all.

See 1 answered question