5.0 out of 5 stars Great Classic Mecha
Published on January 14, 2012 by Patricia M. Pellerito

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad...
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 has some things going for it: Great style, colors, designs, and some nice music tracks. The backgrounds have that rich, detailed, old school anime style. The character designs and mecha are nicely done. As for the animation... I've seen better, even in a television series. I looked forward to the sequences of Priss performing her concerts...
Published 14 months ago by Reza Karshenas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Classic Mecha, January 14, 2012
This review is from: Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040: Complete Series (Classic) (DVD)
I am so very glad I stopped dragging my feet and purchased the BGCT 2040 collection! I have some very fond memories of this version of the series -- it reawakened my love of anime and was wonderfully empowering to me as a female fan. (Priss inspired me to start riding motorcycles!) This is a great series and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves things mecha. Even though it's got a strong female ensemble cast, the series is strong on action, gritty character development and great story. Although this is an 'older' title, it's aged fairly well; fluid animation in the fight scenes, good dub, and character designs that don't all look alike! At the price you just can't go wrong, so score a piece of anime history and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is great!, August 29, 2012
In 1987, there was an OVA called Bubblegum Crisis; a cyberpunk anime with heavy influence from films such as Bladerunner. Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 is not a sequel - but a remake of that OVA, released in 1998. Rather than being an OVA 2040 is a 26 episode anime. The collection in particular being reviewed is the Anime Classics box set released by Funimation. The set is 4 discs long, costs around $30 (unless you get ripped off like I did) and has very attractive packaging in my opinion. The only bad thing I have to say about this particular set is that the extra features menu consists of nothing but a clean opening and closing.

BGC2040 as I shall call it from here on out is, as I previously stated, cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is a genre of fiction taking place in the future where advanced technology is extremely prevalent and integrated, and artificial life or robots are common place. Some other good examples of cyberpunk anime are Akira and Ghost in the Shell. In the world of BGC2040, robots called Boomers take care of most hard and dirty work for humans. They do road work, and clean sewers and do all toher sorts of tasks that we don't like to mess with. There are also several boomers that are receptionists and hold other more important positions as well. The Boomers are produced by a megacorporation called Genum. Occasionally, somethign strange happens and a Boomer goes "rogue". It begins to fuse all technology around it, sometimes forming much more monstrous "life form" that it once was and aggressively attacks people and attempts to fuse with as many other Boomers and technologies as it can. The phenomenon of rogue Boomers is on a steady rise - but there's a problem. Genum is talking about shutting down the AD Police, a special Police department dedicated to dealing with rogue Boomers. Genum claims to have solved the rogue Boomer problem - the issue is that rogue Boomers are obviously becoming more and more common. Genum obviously has something up their sleeve. Who will save Tokyo from these technological monstrosities? Cute chicks in metal suits. Duh!

The Knight Sabers are a vigilante group created by Sylia Stingray (in the picture above, she is the one with long, silver hair on the far right). Sylia is actually the daughter of Dr.Stingray, the man who created the Boomers in the first place. She sees it as her own personal mission to stop rogue Boomers. In the begining of the Anime, there are only 2 active Knight Saber; Priscilla Asagiri (Priss), who is the Knight Saber in the blue suit in the above picture, and Nene Romanova, the one in pink. Sylia has retired temporarily, and the 3 before Priss and Nene are, at that time, deceased. they are soon joined by Linna Yamazaki, the one in green. They are quite the colorful cast, pun unintended. Priss is the lead singer of a rock band, and has more than enough attitude and angst for the whole team. Nene is a hacker extraordinaire, but is an operator for the AD Police by day. Nene is also very peppy and a bit immature. Linna is, in my opinion, the most interesting. She is a farm girl who moved to Tokyo specifically to seek the Knight Sabers after reading rumors about them on the internet as an urban legend. It's very enjoyable to watch the characters banter, and their personalities often clash quite harshly - but that's part of the fun. The Knight Sabers aren't the only characters of course. There are many other characters, such as Leon, an AD Policemen who has the hots for Priss. Too bad Priss despises the Ad Police. I could reveal more characters, but I cannot do so without risk of spoilers.

About half of each episode consists of the Knight Sabers' daily lives, and their social situations. there is plenty of comedy, drama and romance so there's a little something for everyone. Action fans won't feel left out either- that other half of the episode usually involves violent robot death! The fights in BGC2040 are quite varied. Some of them are very fast paced while others, because the foe is more dangerous, are slower paced battles of wit and strategy. Most of the major fights are quite long and take up at least 2 episodes. Some of these fights are very entertaining, and you really don't mind but a couple of the battles seem to drag on, and leave you saying "they're still fighting this thing?!"

BGC2040 has a plot that is much more complex than I have explained - it takes a few twists along the way. There was no way for me elaborate beyond the very basics without spoiling something. This was my first anime that didn't air on Cartoon Network/Toonami. I was 12 then (and frankly had no business watching a MA rated anime) and a lot of the plot left me a little confused. I didn't fully understand it until I was about 16. The ending to this anime is somewhat open - this is a mixed bag. while it leaves plenty of room for fan speculation, fan fiction and the like, it leaves you with only a mild sense of clossure. This anime left itself open for a sequel, but it doesn't seem likely. That's alright though, because this one stands strongly on its own, and has a dedicated cult fan base. Comedy, romance, action, robots, girls, and explosions...what's not the recommend?

4.0 out of 5 stars Knight Sabers FTW, December 18, 2011
I saw the trailer for this anime online and decided to buy it. At this time I'm half way through it and its great! I'm a huge mecha & cyberpunk fan and this anime is just what I wanted! I could not stop watching! Two things that I'm not a big fan of are the vocies for the cast and they made the suits look like they have heels...but I've gotten over them. I got it for 25$ which is fine with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big hit with my daughter & her friends, January 5, 2013
R. L. Hume (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
My grand daughter likes anime and anything animated which sort of figures since she loves to draw. She usually only watches a little anime with my son & I because most of the stories are focused on male characters. The only exception that she would watch several episodes of in a row has been Ghost in The Shell, until now. Several friends told me that Bubblegum Crisis was popular and focused on female characters so I got it for my grand daughter as a Christmas gift. She thinks the series is great, loves the characters, and has watched the whole series through twice already. Well worth the price as a solid entertainment value for your family anime fans in spite of somewhat predictible story lines.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, January 22, 2013
As far as packaging goes, great. As far as content, its a little dated. I grew up on toonami and adult swim anime and always heard this was a great cyberpunk anime. It is a pretty good concept and worth a watch, however the animation is a good bit static and kind of lame. The story is ok, some parts are better than others. A lot of modern anime steal ideas from this one, especially Burst Angel. I liked the overall story but I felt it was a bit drug out, I would recommend a watch though since it is a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's really cool!, October 6, 2012
KevinB "The Honey Badger" (High Point, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Bubblegum Crisis is really cool. The futuristic neo-punk setting is unique and the characters are awesome. This was one of the first anime I ever bought and now almost 200 series purchases later I have to say it's still a favorite. This anime is timeless. I've probably watched it through 50 times or so and it never gets old. There's nothing stopping you from buying and loving this show so go for it. You'll really like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an excellent anime.Reminds me greatly of a movie., August 8, 2014
First of I am a Sy-fi fan and a fan of Harrison Ford (wait this is on topic) If seen a most of his movies and this greatly reminds me of 'Blade Runner' It's probably what drew me to this series anyways.Just the whole bit about the future overrun by robots with an extent amounts of artificial intelligence and perhaps "emotions" it's all more human than human.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, July 4, 2014
First time I watched this show was on Encores Action channel when they used to show anime on it. I was blown away by action and storyline that I had to watch it all the way to the end. I would recommend this series for anyone who likes the old school anime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Anime Ever, February 1, 2014
This series has humor, drama, passion, suspense, terror, joy, plot and structure, great musical score, great directing, acting, artwork, and action.

The beginning sets up the mysteries, the middle intensifies them, and the ending answers all questions and is---itself---a truly magical ending.

I found myself experience actual emotion as I was pulled into this series.

What more is there to say positive?

Buy it!

See it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anime was Good, September 16, 2013
its came in good condition with no problem it is an excellent anime and it was amazing to watch and see

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040: Complete Series (Classic)
$49.98 $28.69