‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, it's Even a book for Guys, January 1, 2005
This review is from: Snot Bubbles! A Football Primer for Moms, Wives & Significant Others 2nd Edition (Paperback)
You'd think every guy in America (if not the whole planet) knew the details of football. Well, some -- albeit not many -- do not. It was late in life that my interest in football (NFL & collegiate) really sparked, and I wanted to know much more about the strategy and workings of the game. First I got the Idiot's Guide, and it was fine. Then I got the Dummies book, and it helped as well. But I was still confused on the very basics, which is "who is what player and how do they fit into the game?"

So, when I stumbled across Snot Bubbles, it looked to be worth a try. Good choice! It does cover the very basics, and does so very well!!!

So, to anyone else that really wants to know the absolute basics, this is a book to read.

The others -- Idiot's and Dummies -- are also fine, although they are more detailed. The Idiot's does an especially good job of explaining things worth knowing, like what is a Color Analyst, or a Hail Mary, and what do you mean by Snot Bubbles????

5.0 out of 5 stars They're baaaack!, September 6, 2003
Kitty Werner "katinvermont" (Waitsfield, Vermont United States) - See all my reviews
Ladies! Football widows! It's football season again. And you still don't know a thing about it! Well, that can change. Snot Bubbles is the definitive answer. Written by a former non-fan whose kid got into the game, Snot Bubbles will teach you what "yardage" is, why who does what when, and what it all means. Catch up with the "know-it-alls" of the game and sound intelligent. Maybe it will earn you some beer and popcorn!
At the very least, you will laugh yourself silly at all the antics you finally understand. Then you can go shopping.

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY HELPFUL, May 6, 2002
Paula Crawford (Peachtree City, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a MUST for those of you who are (a) a mother, (b) a wife, (c) a sister, or (d) a girlfriend of a football player or fan. If you have ever been confused about some rule or infraction of the game, read this book. As a cheerleader and sister and daughter, i have found that reading this book has not only helped in my comprehension of football, but I impress many of my hard-core guy football friends with my endless knowledge of the game. I'm a hit at every Superbowl party. Though football can be very confusing for the average female spectator, reading this comprehensive book will definately help.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect for first-time football moms, August 21, 2006
T. Osgood (Detroit suburb, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This book is exactly what it purports to be: a very basic introduction to the game of football, written for women. Before I read it, I knew where the goal posts were and where the 50 yard line was. The book started with these basic concepts, but by page 3 I was learning new information in a simple straight-forward way. It defines several key terms and has an illustrated guide to referee calls. It is also geared for women and, while it could be useful for a male who knows nothing about football, the book is very female-oriented. (comparing the purpose of the game of football to a 90% off sale on cashmere sweaters at Macy's, for example).

This book would be mind-numbingly oversimplified for anyone who already knows anything about football. However, for a mom who has no background in football and wants to take an active part in her son's life, it will enable you to ask intelligent questions and make at least a few intelligent observations.

Bonus: it will fit in a large-sized purse, so you can take it to games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Football for real dummies, November 10, 2006
I had originally gotten the book Football for Dummies to prepare for my grandsons' first season playing Pop Warner football. I found that I was too dumb for Football for Dummies. Nowhere was there an explanation as to whether a team's goal line was the goal they were defending or the one they were heading for. Everything else in the book depends on an understanding of this one principle. Nor could I find an explanation for a safety that made sense to me. Then I saw Snot Bubbles on Amazon. com and thought it was worth a try! Thank G-d for Snot Bubbles! A book that even a grandmother can understand. It gave me a good basic education in football and allowed me to graduate up to Dummies. (I learned things that even my daughter didn't know.) Now I even watch NFL games on TV and can have a fairly educated conversation with my grandsons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snot Bubbles, August 9, 2001
By A Customer
What a easily comprehensible football primer for moms, wives, and significant others! Snot Bubbles enables us women to share the game of football intelligently with the guys in our lives who love it. A must have for all women!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and Helpful!!!, February 6, 2002
I never understood what was going on at football games until I read this book!! It uses funny analogies to explain plays and the pictures are very helpful. For anyone who wants to understand football jargon, this is the book for you!!! I actually watched the superbowl this year and understood what was going on!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A first year football mom gets a clue with this book, August 27, 2006
Stacy Martinez (Independence, MO USA) - See all my reviews
The first benefit I received after reading this book was that I was able to immediately identify the position my 5th grader is playing by recalling from memory the diagram of player positions in this book. After a few more reads, I can spot offsides, know who the ineligible receivers are and finally know what clipping means. I even know that offensive tackles don't actually tackle anyone. I'm a little creeped out by all the references to "sexy" football players and "tight ends" (and I'm not talking about the position here), especially since my player is 10 years old, but the author seems to hop back and forth between talking about hot, sweaty, grunting NFL players and sweet, little, innocent youth league players who need praise and encouragment from their parents, so if you can flow with her meandering about, it's not that big of a deal.

A good and useful book overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for new football moms!, September 10, 2005
C. Jackson (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
My somewhat sports inclined 9th grader decided to go out for football this year. I found myself in the stands not knowing anything other than the ball needs to go into the end zone. I searched and found this book. It's great. My son no longer rolls his eyes because I don't understand what he's saying. I know all the positions and I'm learning the calls. Pretty good for just a couple of weeks. I'm still not sure I like it when my baby is at the bottom of that pile of sweaty boys, but the book told me "Moms NEVER go on the field." Good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for moms and football widows!, August 7, 2002
Cindy MacLean (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Helma Clark successfully conquers and delivers the elements of football, describing her view of the subject through the lens of a fanatical sports mom and an inveterate high-end shopper. Even if you know nothing about football, you will laugh out loud at her unique take on this previously all-male domain. A great pre-Super Bowl stocking stuffer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›