3 out of 5 stars
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$34.48 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 26, 2013
Format: Hardcover
I grew up in the 1970s, so I'm familiar with all the science fiction shows that aired, especially after the popularity of Star Wars. Buck Rogers was one of those shows. It was conceived of by Glen Larson, who created the iconic Battlestar Galactica tv show. After that show was cancelled, along came Buck Rogers (which used a lot of the props and sets from Galactica). I even remember watching the pilot at the movies.

This volume collects the issues that were from the movie tie-in and a few additional entries. The art is pretty standard for Gold Key and Whitman comics of the time. Good, but not great. The art references the actors and creatures in the show and does a fairly good job of portraying them.

Of more interest to me, was Buck Rogers #1 which is featured in this volume after the tv show tie-ins. It's from 15 years earlier, but the artwork by Ray Bailey is more indicative of an earlier era and seems to suit the character better. Little green men swarm the pages (and Buck at one point), perhaps in warning of what we might have found on the moon in a few short years.

The book finishes with a collection of memorabilia from the show and earlier. I was never a big fan of the show. It seemed to lack the nostalgia of it's origins. I wanted rocket packs and strange ray guns. For fans of the show, this is a well presented collection, and may find a more appreciative audience among those particular fans.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again