Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on April 20, 2003
I have so enjoyed this book! The author gives a clear description of basic Buddhist philosophy in the first 5 chapters, including an inspired interpretation of a natal chart for the Buddha. Then he describes each of the 12 Houses and gives lively descriptions of the meaning associated with the moon, sun and planets. I took out my own chart to learn more about my own natal chart. The only negative criticism I have is that the book nowhere gives the symbols for the planets so I had difficulty reading my chart.
The book ends with a delightful biography of the author who, though born a Canadian, became a Buddhist monk , lived in Dharmsala,was taught by the Dalai Lama,did a 3 year retreat in a mountian cave and after 13 years was given permission by the Dalai Lama to give up his ordination and teach Buddhism in the West. His description of this life is fascinating.
There is a glossary of Buddhist terms,a bibliography.and an index - all things a good book needs!
on March 12, 2003
The main author, Jhampa Shaneman has extraordinary Buddhist background including the traditional 3 years retreat of Tibetan Tantric Buddhism. From his biographical sketch at the end of this book (and his website) you know how devoted he is about his practice. Actually this what I was impressed the most.
Due to such kind of practices, as well as his knowledge, experiment and practices of Western Astrology, we can see in-depth perspectives applying Western Astrology to our mind, which is the core and source of our daily-life, past, present and future... Thus Astrology is useful to us in a very practical way. Western Astrology has been very close to western Psychology after Jung. However, this book presents Astrological Psychology with the deepest school of eastern Psychology... which is worth reading and thinking about.
One of the most special points in this book is that he tried to trace Buddha's birthchart out of records and we can find very reasonable and helpful information out of his interpretation of the chart, including tracing the time and inner-experience when Siddhartha (Buddha's name before he became enlightened) escaped from his palace and attained Buddhahood.
Jhampa's Buddhist teachers including Lama Yeshe and many greatest gurus of the century. The most famous western Tibetan scholars nowadays like Robert Thurman, Jeffery Hopkins, are about the same time or later as his beginning of studying. And he is also one of the few westerners permited by His Holiness Dalai Lama to teach all levels of Buddhism.
From his website, you will find more of his information:
[...]
Sorry that I cannot express well with all the good points of this book. I will try to tell more later.
0Comment21 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2003
The introduction to Buddhist thought and philosophy is worth the price of this book. The astrological interpretations, given from this Buddhist perspective, offer peace and tranquility in the face of stormy life-situations and inner turmoil. The message which permeates these pages is: you are not mortal; your true being is one with life, not at odds with life. Buddhist Astrology--the book and the approach--pierces through the veil of an illusional mortality. Astrological consultations, whether through a personal astrologer or through a well-written book, ought to bring hope, peace, comfort to the seeker. These things are to be found here.
0Comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. The Buddhist philosophy was incorporated into astrology with tack. There is no lecturing, and it is thought provoking. The professional style makes the book highly readable and opens the subject up to people of different philosophical backgrounds without misrepresenting astrology. I am glad that this book is on the market. It reflects well on the system and is an example of what astrology should strive to be--a well thought out philosophy of life. I couldn't recommend the book more and I am not Buddhist.
on April 16, 2003
This interpretation of astrology chart readings from a Buddhist point of view is very interesting and insightful. Buddhist philosophy and application to daily living and understanding how the underlying influences of astrology affect us was most thought provoking. I really enjoyed this book and felt that I learned practical applications from it to use in my own attitude towards self, others and understanding samsara.
0Comment7 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2014
There are many things that are great about this product.
1: Love the fact that there is a forward by the Da Lai Lama
2: The title says it all
3: Fast shipping
4: Great pricing
Thanks a bunch!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2014
This promised a free astrology reading but when I sent the form in it came back to me saying no longer at this address!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse