5.0 out of 5 stars A highly recommended and worthy addition to any Tibetan Buddhist Studies collection, July 11, 2009
This review is from: Buddhist Fasting Practice: The Nyungne Method of Thousand Armed Chenrezig (Paperback)
Wangchen Rinpoche presents Buddhist Fasting Practice: The Nyungne Method of Thousand-Armed Chenrezig, the first comprehensive English-language text addressing the Tibetan Buddhist practice of Nyungne, a two-and-a-half day process of meditation and strict vows (the second day is dedicated to utter silence and fasting). Literally translated as "abiding the fast", Nyungne is a process accessible to those who cannot spare extended time for a long-term retreat, and is reputed to help with recovery from illness, cultivating compassion, and undoing negative karma. Chapters analyze the process, requirements, and benefits of Nyungne at length, in this solid resource that is nonetheless accessible to Buddhist practitioners and scholars alike. A highly recommended and worthy addition to any Tibetan Buddhist Studies collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to practice, July 21, 2009
This book is incredible. It contains everything you need to do the practice including the complete text in Tibetan, transliteration, and English. The language is poetry and at the same time extremely practical. I know I will read and re-read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book to learn, July 6, 2009
Great book that breaks down the very important practice of Nyungne. I appreciate that layout of the book, and how it goes into details on each section of the practice, so we understand what and why we are doing this. I also appreciate the authors real world antidotes and his examples very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acquiring and increasing merit, October 30, 2010
This is an excellent introduction to the fasting practice of the 1000-Arm Chenrezig. The Bodhisattva healed leprosy in one of his devotees who practiced this way and the practice has spread. The full practice involves two days of practice and fasting. This is a "how-to" guide and involves learning a lot. It is best to get instruction from a lama and the initiation that applies to this practice. There is a trend these days to say that peaceful deity practice does not require an initiation while wrathful deity practice does. 1000-Arm Chenrezig is a peaceful deity, but I am glad I got the empowerment from a qualified teacher and instruction in the fasting practice from a real adept. I bought this book to refresh me on the details so I could do this practice on my own. My group practice was done over 20 years ago. I follow teachers in the Shangpa and Karma Kagyu tradition. This book is written by a student of Kalu Rinpoche and that is a marvelous credential.

The biographies of the lineage holders of the fasting tradition, at least of the early lineage holders, is quite interesting in itself. The whole book is worth reading and studying over and over again.

Practicing one deity for a long time is a good way to make progress. I have a library of Buddhist books and I study them and use them for reference. But such little progress as I have made has come from following my lama's instructions and from practicing one deity at a time. A book or many books can not substitute for the direct teaching of an enlightened being. Putting into practice the teachings I have received - well, I can't claim I do very well there. This book helped me with my practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for learning Nyungne, September 16, 2013
This book is fairly complete if you are planing on attending a Nyungne retreat. Everyone in my temple either had this book or bought it before our first retreat

5.0 out of 5 stars The Authoritative Text on Nyungne, August 16, 2012
The Venerable Wangchen Rinpoche has written a comprehensive and authoritative text. He is, unquestionably, a Nyungne Master. This book will be invaluable if you are considering attending a retreat or are wondering about attending one. All the words are in the book and more than just a taste of the spirit. But, Nyungne is not an academic endeavor and must be experienced. The benefits of the practice under the guidance of someone knowledgeable and completely devoted, like The Venerable Wangchen Rinpoche, are wonderful and quite beyond words.

ARRAY(0xa3581798)