Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on November 12, 2011
Unless some manufacturer decides to start encrusting diamonds into the handles of their jump rope, this will probably be the most expensive jump rope on the market for the foreseeable future. So why is this jump rope so expensive?

First off, it's a "brand name" jump rope. I don't mean brand name as in Everlast or Nike, but as in the Buddy Lee brand name. If you don't know who he is, I'd recommend checking out a couple of his videos on Youtube. Also, the Discovery Channel has a very interesting documentary about his jump roping abilities and physical conditioning that is also worth a watch. He has influenced a number of top atheletic trainers to implement jump rope training into their programs, and has made it a career of spreading the gospel of rope jumping.

Second, Buddy Lee actually owns a patent on his bearings system. Does that automatically mean it's the best jump rope on earth? Not necessarily - but it means you probably won't find a similar bearings system on any other rope for the next 10-15 years.

So is this rope worth the money? Yes and no. There are other jump ropes that will perform as well, if not better, than Buddy Lee's Hyperformance jump ropes. For instance, buyjumpropes.net offers ultra speed cable ropes that have been used to set several jump roping records, and cost significantly less than Buddy Lee's ropes. However, in the end, it all comes down to preference. I happen to really like the feel and design of Buddy Lee's ropes. Because I jump rope as part of my regular fitness plan, I'm willing to spend a little extra money on something that works well for me. If you jump a lot of rope, I'd say give it a try. If not, go with something less expensive before trying a Buddy Lee rope.

One negative thing I will specifically mention about this rope, is that when I first received it, one of the foam grips fell off during my very first session. After spending this much on a rope I was pretty pissed about the quality. I almost sent the rope back, but instead, decided to get handy and super glued the grip to the handle (used Gorilla Glue). No problems since. If you happen to run into the same problem, make sure you don't use just any glue - check the packaging to make sure it's designed to bond with foam.
0Comment70 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2012
I am a long time fan of the Buddy Lee jump ropes and system, but these ropes have a very poor quality control to what I have purchased of theirs in the past. Upon arrival, not one, but both of the swivel bearings on the handles were defective. The handles do not appear to be solid metal to me. Just very poor quality control on their behalf.
55 comments31 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2011
i 1st saw this Jump Rope Buddy Lee's Aero Speed Hyperformance Jump Rope with FREE Replacement Cord for a split second at the gym, someone else was jumping with it (& i never saw that person again), but the handles stayed in my mind. i've been incorporating Jump Rope back into my work outs, as i used to jump all the time (starting when i was a kid training as a boxer). i stopped becoz my knees had given me a problem years ago, but with a lot of therapy (including single leg lefts to build up the muscles around the knee) its like the issue is non-existent. so recently i went to pick up my Jump Rope again (i had 2), & they felt ancient (& too short). then i remembered those Handles, & looked online & found Buddy Lee's jump ropes, & said "thats it, those are the handles"). i could not find them in sporting good stores around me. so i ordered them on Amazon. & then watched some of the YouTube vids concerning the Jump Rope (with Buddy Lee demonstrating it), & how to prepare the rope for proper length. started working on some techniques i saw Buddy using (mainly the "Basic" bounce, & keeping the elbows in when turning), & could not wait for my Jump Rope to come (it took a week to arrive)..

i took the Rope out of its container looked for the Buddy Lee signature (Check), went to adjust the length as shown on the Vid i watched & that was not necessary, as i am 6 FT tall the length provided was adequate. The assemble is easy, just put the rope's end in the handle part & turn (there is a screw inside that holds the rope in a very secure manner. one reviewer wrote that when his rope came out, he used an adhesive. i'll keep that in mind, but it doesn't seem like it will be needed - i hope - but that wont be a deal breaker).

Then i went to try it out & "Wow.!!!!!". first i started slowly, doing the "Basic Bounce" (Check) felt good, & i'm glad i practiced at the Gym all week now it feels natural. then i sped up my jumping, & heard the "whirl" of the rope.. lifting legs & pumping, rope spinning, ball barrings twirling. The effortless speed you can get on this rope is incredible. you can feel the intensity. this is Love at first Jump. if you're looking for a great rope, want to be serious about it, & have no qualms about spending some extra money.. this is a RIGHT FIT. Excellent.!!!! 5 STARS
on March 31, 2011
Got this rope on the advice of my trainer.

Never jump roped before and have to admit this rope makes it doable
AND REALLY cardio intensive.

I'm over 50 by more then a bit and recommend this highly if it is a
direction you think you're interested in pursuing.
on May 15, 2011
I have tried every rope on the market and this is the only one I like... I am practicing double unders and it just seems to be exactly the weight i need and the swivel on the handle I need to make it happen. thanks
on August 16, 2011
Mine broke on the first use, but the broken parts were quickly replaced by the vendor. Subsequently, I'm updating this review.

1.) The modular design is great. The rope can be replaced. The bearings can be replaced. The handles can be replaced.
2.) It's easy to adjust the length of the rope
3.) Made double unders a breeze, which I found really tough before.
11 comment9 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2011
This rope is good looking, lightweight and very fast. A definite step up in jumpropes I've tried. Only problem is, one of the swivels makes an annoying noise when it spins and the pin is loose. I am a lil bothered by one of the swivels lacking in quality but other than that, I am happy with the rope and in the future will invest in replacing broken or worn out parts e.g swivels and cord.
on February 28, 2012
I really like this jump rope! I started jumping rope about a month ago with a cheap jump rope. My ability to jump without a miss improved dramatically after receiving my Buddy Lee Rope. My Buddy Lee book arrived at the same time as my rope and I was very excited to get on his jump rope program. After reading his book, I was disappointed to find that he recommends his long handle rope for cross-overs. Had I known this I would have gladly saved a little money by getting the long handle buddy lee rope (about $10 less).
on February 4, 2013
sorry, not immediately, 45 days. My previous, no frills jumprope has lasted years. This is junk, i never write reviews but would be remiss if another customer got defrauded by this.
on September 12, 2011
This is so far the best jump rope I've used, the price is a lil up there at about 30$ or so but with replaceable parts you save more in the long run, instead of always spending 15-20$ every time it snaps or the handles break etc. It comes with instructions on how to measure and cut the rope to suit you, which I like cause of the fact that most ropes are set in their lengths and are either always too long or too short. It's fast and smooth, you'll definitely get a great work out with it. I strongly recommend this rope to anybody trying to do cardio and really don't want to or always feel like running, being a boxer helped me with the jump rope since I use it to train but anybody can use it, you just have to keep trying till you get the rythm down, then you'll appreciate it a lot more.