Buffy in Widescreen is better. See for yourself on Netflix

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2010 8:21:02 PM PDT
mao_soup says:
Seasons 4 and up are all widescreen 16:9 format. Joss may have wanted it in 4:3 but it was definitely filmed in at least 16:9. I am sitting here watching both versions side-by-side and they cropped the sides for the 4:3. I can't understand why he thinks this is better. I have NOT once seen anything enter the frame that shoudln't be there, ie boom mic, cameraman, etc. It's better. I will never go back to 4:3. See for youself on Netflix. You can stream it to your comp or XBOX360.

Posted on Oct 30, 2010 12:10:05 AM PDT
tellsnolies says:
Don't believe it. I just checked out episode 1 of season 6 on Netflix. That's not a true 16:9 format. It's just a zoomed in crop of the original 4:3. You can tell because the bottom half of the credits shown in the beginning of the episode crop out. I'd rather watch it in standard format without any cropping than a cropped faux widescreen... If only they would improve on the picture quality, in blu-ray. That's something this show deserves and I'd be willing to pay for, regardless of the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2010 9:14:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2010 9:40:02 AM PDT
mao_soup says:
I think you need to do a side by side comparison, not just jump to conclusions after watching the credits. Do a real-time side by side comparison and tell me that they didn't crop the sides on your 4:3 version. I think they are using the UK version as there box set has seasons 4-6 in widescreen.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2010 12:43:39 AM PDT
tellsnolies says:
I stand corrected! There is indeed a crop in the dvd I own from the Netflix versions, at least in episode 1 of season 6. And now I'll always be disappointed in those cropped 4:3s!! I look forward to checking out the other eps from seasons 4-7. Thanks for the info :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2010 12:50:18 AM PDT
mao_soup says:
Well, if it makes you feel any better 4:3 is the way Joss wanted it, so depending on your point of view the 4:3 could be better, or at least truer to his vision. I personally think the 16:9 versions rock and think Joss can go stuff himself. Anyway, cheers.

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 12:07:12 PM PST
The series was shot in Wide Screen from season 3 on. However the shots were framed to be cropped to 4:3 for TV airing, sometimes in the wide screen version there is equipment and crew visible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 12:51:53 PM PST
mao_soup says:
Again, I have never once seen anything enter the shot in the way of crew, camera, etc. If you can tell me which episode, which scene, I would love to check it out.

I promise, people, you aren't blaspheming against the Holy Name of Joss to watch these in widescreen. If you can watch 4-7 in widescreen and come back here and tell me you still prefer the full screen then so be it.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 3:27:45 AM PST
J. Clyde says:
I've watched Seasons 4 - 7 on Netflix. Have watched many of the episodes several times. Have yet to see camera and crew clouding the picture so I know not what you speak of.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 7:24:10 AM PST
In "This Year's Girl" there is a camera visible while Buffy and Faith are fighting in the wide screen version is one instance.

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 8:20:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2010 8:21:04 PM PST
Cat Vutt says:
There's a boom mic visible for a moment in Pangs from Season 4. when Xander falls into the Shumash (sp?) burial ground. But man...so much nicer in widescreen in general.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 9:13:53 PM PST
mao_soup says:
schweet. I'll check it out ASAP.

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 2:46:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2010 2:47:09 AM PST
Casey says:
Ahh, very true about "This Year's Girl". You can see the camera guy on the right side of the screen when they fall down the stairs. But I have to say, I never really noticed until someone pointed it out. I was too absorbed in the show itself.

I am mighty peeved at Joss for insisting it be released on full screen though. I watched it on Netflix too, the first time I ever watched Buffy, so it does bug me that it's cropped in the DVDs. WHY would Joss want it like that when it looks great widescreen?

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 7:09:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2010 7:16:02 AM PST
Is the audio any better on the DVDs than it is on Netflix?
Anyone with both DVDs and Netflix see a point in buying the discs, assuming a good price on DVDs and no streaming problems (and not taking special features into account)?

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 1:36:55 PM PST
Well one reason to get the disks is that Netflix only has license to stream the show untill 2012 I think. Maybe they will get it renewed maybe they wont. Things don't stay on Watch Instant forever though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 1:37:56 PM PST
@Casey, Joss wants it like that becasue that's the format he shot the show for.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 6:43:57 AM PST
K. Copeland says:
it was filmed in widescreen, but they always knew it would be cropped, so nothing you are suppossed to see has been cropped. In the season 4 finale, Restless, when Buffy is talking to the first slayer, you can see the cheese guy standing there off to the side standing on his mark and waiting to pop into frame and offer Buffy cheese.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 6:47:32 AM PST
K. Copeland says:
if these things can be removed with remastering and cgi, I am all for a blu ray release, but I don't think it will ever happen. I would be open to a Full Frame blu ray though...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 8:06:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2011 8:07:25 AM PST
mao_soup says:
Really? Ha, I'll have to check that scene out.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 10:00:19 PM PST
Nicole says:
I just finished watching the whole thing on netflix and there often is equipment and people visible with the wider screen. In some ways I'd prefer the cropped version, as it can be distract and detract from the realism (which is funny given it is, well, a show about vampires).

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 3:13:00 PM PST
I have seen booms and cameras and crews in the widescreen versions of the episodes on Netflix. Even funnier, I have seen, or heard rather, characters speaking, but their lips aren't moving because the scene they were in, they were standing in the area that would have been cropped for the 4:3 version aired on television.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 6:59:36 PM PST
Kevin Murphy says:
On my setup, with either Netflix or Amazon streaming to a 720p Netflix box, the 16:9 picture quality is substantially inferior to the 4:3 image from my blu-ray player. Not sure if this is the source, or the difference in video processing, but it is quite clear at a glance that the DVD on the BD player has much better PQ. I can see why people think the 16:9 is cropped. It isn't but it has that kind of blow-up look. Have to try the streaming through the blu-ray player.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 4:56:07 PM PDT
The widescreening on Netflix causes a ton of problems but two of my biggest peeves are... [MINOR SPOILERS]

In Season 7, episode 16 (Storyteller) Buffy watches a girl fade to invisibility and smacks the girl in the face after she has become invisible, taking a guess at where her face is. To film it they had the girl who'd faded step off camera. Except in the widescreen version she's still on camera, so Buffy is smacking the air in front of her face and acting like she hit something solid. The widescreen shot makes the scene completely baffling.

In Season 6, episode 11 (Gone) there's a scene that's supposed to play like this: Spike is watching TV. We knows this because we can hear the TV although we cannot see its screen. Spike gets up and walks away. There is the sound of the TV being turned off. Spike looks at the TV screen and we now see it is now blank. Spike is confused because he can't see who turned off the TV. Here's the problem. When they filmed this scene they never bothered to actually turn the TV on since the viewer doesn't see the front of the TV until after it's been turned off. But in the widescreen version the front of the TV is on camera and clearly turned off the entire scene. There's audio coming from nowhere and Spike ends up staring in shock at a blank TV screen that's been blank since the scene began. Again, it makes the whole scene borderline incomprehensible.

I had a friend whose first experience with Buffy was marathoning it on Netflix and she was so aggravated by what appeared to poor editing that she was going to give up on it. I had to lend her my DVDs to convince the show really did have a competent crew making it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 12:46:21 AM PDT
mao_soup says:
Lol, that's hilarious!

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 3:25:27 PM PDT
Kyle R. Hall says:
Hm. I have the entire set and just recently started watching it again when I bought my new widescreen TV. I'm up to season 5 and so far I still have 4:3. Does this change eventually I wonder???
Sidenote: I am also watching The X files and am also on season 5 and it just started looking wide. Interesting since that show is older.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 3:29:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2012 3:31:38 PM PDT
No Kyle. The DVDs are 4:3 for the whole series. Season 4 originally came with a letter from Joss explaining he will Never let them release it any other way. He didn't have any say in the Netflix streaming version.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Series - Seasons 1-7
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Series - Seasons 1-7 by Sarah Michelle Gellar (DVD - 2005)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (784)