5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect dog door
Published on June 16, 2007 by David Casker

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting.
SO I just received my instant screen...and where do I start? I'll start by saying that I can tell that this product will be great AFTER I upgrade a few things.

Pros:
-Screen was a breeze to set up and I had it up and ready to go within 5 minutes.
-Looks good and I can tell that it will perform to about 80% of what it says it will do.
-Cost...
Published on April 25, 2012 by skullKrusher6

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect dog door, June 16, 2007
David Casker (Johnstown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I have a fenced-in back yard and three years ago, bought one of these to hang in the back door because I didn't want to cut a hole in walls or doors to install a permanent dog door. My idea, of course, was to give the dogs the freedom to come and go as they please, and to ease my role as doorman. From about April to October, the storm door and house door are open whenever practical, and the set-up has worked just as I had hoped. I get very few insects inside, and after some hesitation at first, the dogs are totally comfortable with it. The screen panels hang from an adjustable spring rod, and the magnets both weight it and close it every effectively. This year, after over two years of use, the dogs tore it a little, and I bought another to have in reserve, simply because it's ingenious and effective. As for human use, when my hands are full, I use an elbow or whatever I'm carrying to press against the center, and it opens fine, and closes behind me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Smart Screen lets your pets in and out, but not the bugs., November 16, 2008
Length:: 0:38 Mins

This is the Smart Screen, magnetic door. It is simple great. Lets the pets come and go while keeping the bugs out. Take a look at the simple to install door at my home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Removable Screen Door, December 9, 2007
Birdieman (Big Rapids, MI USA) - See all my reviews
After one full summer season we have the following comments:
We have a door that is located in a place that swing screen door will not work. The Hands-Free Screen Door fit our needs well. Our dog can go in and out on his own. It does a good job of keeping out bugs and closing behind who ever goes through. It's easy to put up and take down for storage in the winter. The material is heavy and strong enough to last for years. We clean it by hanging the door over our deck railing and washing with a hose.

Would I buy again: Yes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting., April 25, 2012

Pros:
-Cost effective for a cheap way out of buying an actual screen door which requires WAY more work.

Cons:
-there was only 2 magnets, located towards the bottom of the screen. Both of which I have to line up in order for them to close by themselves...they are also not very strong.
-the same thing happened for the velcro. I feel like there isn't enough velcro strips to adequately seal the doorway.
-If you don't measure your doorway properly, and make sure that its EXACT, youre going to have problems. I can tell that if you get one thats too big, youre gonna be sitting there with big gaps in between the screen door and door jam. Mine is measured properly, but there is no room for error judging by the way the material is.

All in all, The screen is GOOD. just good. I'm going to add more magnets to the center so it will stay all the way closed, and it will actually close itself like the description says it will. I'm also going to add more velcro to ensure a more proper seal to the doorway.

4.0 out of 5 stars It certainly keeps out the flies, if you supply the rod., May 18, 2011
This review is from: Bug Off Instant Screen, 32-Inch by 80-Inch (Lawn & Patio)
The only reason I did give this four stars, is because the rod supplied with the screen. After reading the reviews on this product, I looked in the hardware store for similar product. I was told at two different hardware stores I visited that they are no longer available and are on online item only. So back to the internet I went. I ordered this because I liked the idea of a no hands screen. For that it works great. With one small dog, two kids using the back yard a lot this is the fix we where looking for. Since our door opens to the outside, a traditional screen door opening into the kitchen area just would not work. Plus the dogs hands are just wrong for opening doors. We wanted to be able to have the door open for a cross breeze in the kitchen, keep out insects and let the dog come and go as he pleased. I ordered this fully expecting the rod that comes with it not to work, And it did not! The rest of the product does just like it says. If you clean the painted surface around the door first the Velcro tabs stick just fine.
However the spring tension curtain rod that comes with the screen is total junk. I never got the screen up with it. Following the instructions " adjust the rod 1 inch wider than the door opening, compress and place in the opening" AHAHAHA!! It is so cheap it could not even do this!! I went to the hardware store and got a basic spring tension rod and the screen works fine.We have been using this for a month now and it is just what we wanted, So for that I gave it four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the one that I purchased previously, May 13, 2007
Good quality and it works well. I have three of these things and they certainly work. I wouldn't use them in an area where there are lots of bugs swarming around (like when I lived in Austin, Texas). However, here in Arizona, they keep out the bugs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, but needs more than one cheap magnet if you want to keep bugs out, May 24, 2012
Troy Wood (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bug Off Instant Screen, 32-Inch by 80-Inch (Lawn & Patio)
I'm afraid I had to rewrap and return this sucker just a few minutes after hanging it in our patio door frame. Which is a shame, since I see a lot of people appear to prefer this model over the cheaper and flimsier As-Seen-on-TV "Magic Mesh."

The Bug-Off screen does have some positive points. The mesh seems quite sturdy, it comes in a variety of sizes to fit different dimensions of doorway, and the bottom is weighted so it doesn't just flap around in the breeze. As a DIY started set, it's not bad, but for $38, I could easily go to Home Depot and buy a roll of window screen material and build one myself.

Unfortunately, *ONE* floppy business card magnet sewn into the middle of the screen just doesn't have enough oomph to keep these curtains close properly. Perhaps if you lined the curtain with 8 or 9 of them spaced 10 inches apart it would work better, but it became painfully obvious after just a few seconds that the massive gaps where the two curtains only lightly overlap would never keep out the gnats, moths, and mosquitoes which plague our neck of the woods during the summertime. I also wasn't wild about the flimsy tension rod up at the top, which popped loose the moment there was any vertical strain applied to one of the curtains. (I'm sure it would be pretty easy to replace with something more permanent if I wasn't already disgusted with the rest of the design)

All in all, if you don't live in an area overrun with with insects, large pets, or small children, this set of overlapping curtains might work for you.
If you want something that actually lives up to the name "Bug-Off" though, you're probably going to need to look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Falls off the door, October 11, 2009
This review is from: Bug Off Instant Screen, 32-Inch by 80-Inch (Lawn & Patio)
The first day it pulled the paint off so that the velcro would no longer stick. I tried to staple it on the door jam. It works. Not what I expected. Magnets are weak.

1.0 out of 5 stars rip -off price, August 18, 2009
C. Kelly (clinton ct usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bug Off Instant Screen, 32-Inch by 80-Inch (Lawn & Patio)
Same item available at Home Depot for about $20.00!!!!!!!!!! -- I wish I'd known

screen works fine..not 100% but better than just leaving the screen door wide open for the dogs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, August 2, 2010
This review is from: Bug Off Instant Screen, 32-Inch by 80-Inch (Lawn & Patio)
I love the Bug Off Instant Screen Door. It is simple to assemble-just slide the screen door over the tension rod and install in door frame. The Bug Off...Door is made of a sturdy mesh fabric and well constructed (no loose threads, seams, etc.). Two panels are sewn securely at the top with the option of two "tunnels" for inserting the tension rod, allowing you to customize the height of the door. Larger magnetic tabs (one at the base and the other a third of the way up from there) along with the sewn top, securely seal the panels together. (To ensure you get the tight seal make sure the magnets are aligned properly.) The bottom of the curtain has about one and a half inches of stiff, heavier material which allows the curtain to drape well and creates a seal against the base of your door frame. Six command strip type tabs are placed along the outer edges of the door to create a seal between the Bug Off Screen Door and your door jamb. (Three on each outer edge-one at the top, one at the base on the heavy material, and another just above the one at the base.)

My experience with this product has been stellar. The Bug Off ...Door arrived swiftly and was installed within minutes of opening the package. One of my cats put a claw in the mesh pulling down the whole thing. Low and behold, no rips or tears and I was able to reinstall the door within seconds. My regular door will not close when the tension rod is up, so I don't utilize the command strip type closures. Even without the edges sealed the bugs are kept at bay. I am a huge fan of the Bug Off Instant Screen Door. It is a great non-permanent solution for keeping the bugs out, while allowing people and pets who reside in my home to come and go at leisure.

Bug Off Instant Screen, 32-Inch by 80-Inch
Bug Off Instant Screen, 32-Inch by 80-Inch by Wolf & Moon Products, Inc.
$39.99