Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on October 19, 2004
The DVD that is being shipped is an import from Hong Kong, and was marked for all zones, so it should play anywhere. Very nice copy with a good clean picture and dolby 5.1 sound.

Titles are in english and chinese, but there are no annoying subtitles on the screen when you play it. I have been waiting for years for this to come out in DVD and I am very happy with the DVD.
0Comment115 of 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2007
OK, first let me say that I actually own this disk. Many of these reviews are for the movie--which I'm sure we all remember fondly from the Family Film Festival with Tom Hatten--but do not speak to the actual product being sold. (Amazon really should discourage this practice.) And I can understand why some people who have not purchased it are concerned, because the box looks all foreign and scary. I got my disk in a timely manner, and even though it is marked zone 3, it ran just fine in my bottom-of-the-line Samsung American-market DVD player. So I'm thinking it will work for you, too.
The disk itself is fairly bare-bones, without a lot of bells and whistles. There are no subtitles unless you want them (even on the credits) and the sound and picture are quite clean. If you have bought the motion picture soundtrack you will find that some of the vocals are slightly different, and I think the CD is perhaps a bit better. All in all this is a quality product that just looks weird. It's certainly worth the money, and while I can't absolutely guarantee that it will work for you, it sure did for me.
11 comment74 of 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2008
First off, although this Bluray disc is region free, the bonus features are PAL and will not play in US Bluray players. The film itself does (director's commentary track too.) The picture quality is great and so is the 5.1 soundtrack. There does seem to be a little motion blur at times but the clarity and color is better than I've ever seen for this film. Bugsy Malone has always been more popular in the UK but I'm still not sure why Paramount hasn't released this on DVD in the states. At least with this release you can toss your crappy asian bootlegs. Still this is one of my childhood favorites and Jodie Foster is wonderful. So is Paul Williams great soundtrack. I still want a spurge gun!
33 comments39 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2007
My mom took my brothers and I to see this movie in the theater when it first came out. I liked it so much that she bought me the cast album (which I still have, by the way,and I'm 39 years old!) so I could listen to the songs over and over. Now I have children of my own, and it's one of those movies I think all children should see. I was very happy to find it here! My copy arrived promptly. However, I wish it was an English publication (the box has the title written in Chinese, with a picture of Tallula on the front instead of the classic picture from the movie and album. Also I thought the movie could be a little clearer. It was not as sharp as it could of been. Oherwise, I recommend this movie for anyone who remembered seeing it as a kid, or if you have kids of your own. It's an absolute classic!!!!
on January 1, 2010
Bugsy Malone is a classic. Mr. Dalkin states that songwriter Paul Williams "really let the side down with unmemorable tunes." Is that so, maybe Mr. Dalkin can explain why..two decades later a major soft drink manufacturer used "You Give a Little Love" in one of their commercials for quite some time...and why it was also included in an arcade game during the same time period. Better yet, maybe Mr. Dalkin can explain why Ordinary Fool has been recorded by greats such as The Carpenters and Mel Torme just to name two. That really doesn't sound like unmemorable tunes to me. Bugsy was and still is a children's classic/hit. It's one movie that kids can watch and relate to as the entire cast is made up of kids. This movie will be popular for many years to come..for children and parents.
on June 11, 2003
We all have our guilty pleasures..."Bugsy Malone" is three or four of mine.
Yep, it's a strange one...a gangster musical with a cast 13 and under. But the kids are having a ball, the period setting is fantastic, the songs are catchy, and some numbers...particularly the "Down and Out" bit...are riotous and exhilarating. I say, put "Bugsy Malone" back in theaters. It's miles better than most of the crappy kids fare out these days. Hey, it might give Scott Baio's career a shot in the arm as well.
0Comment17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2007
Don't listen to ignoramus reviewers who apparently didn't bother to put the DVD in their player. I did. Guess what? It default played into English with no subtitles. It's even a pretty nice transfer.

I suppose if you are offended at the sight of (oh no!) Chinese characters on your DVD cases, you can pass on this item--even though English characters below clearly spell out Bugsy Malone. Or you can wait until some unknown time in the distant future when an American studio sells you their "Made in China" DVD copy that you can blissfully overlook in Wal-Mart.
0Comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2001
Okay, if you saw the film, you understand the title. This film is best seen with other with children or if you saw it as a child yourself (as I did in 1976). I recall enjoying relating to the kids on the screen and wishing I was onscreen with them, as children living in their own world is the ultimate kid fantasy. To the editorial reviewers-some films cannot be judged by adult standards, see it through the eyes of your inner child.
on April 4, 2000
This is great escapist entertainment where for once the bullets are not real but the mess they make is great. The music is good and catchy and many of the scenes are real fun. Pedal cars and all the trappings of the bad old days make for a good laugh. If you are looking for the Godfather don't go for this. But if you want enjoyment buy this and you will like it.
on December 10, 2001
Despite the editorial reviews, I feel that this is one of those rare movies that becomes a favorite of the 8-12 year old set. It's slick enough to capture the imagination of pre-teen boys and features age appropriate "eye candy" for both boys and girls. This is clean fun with just enough edge to appeal to "almost teens."