Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on May 11, 2009
I have tried both Spectra 360 gel (about $9 for 8.5 oz) and Buh-Bump cream (about $7.50 for 2.5 oz) to improve the functioning of my heart rate monitor (HRM) chest strap. I prefer Spectra 360. Both products provided a good stable connection and heart rate readings. Spectra is a substantial clear gel that adheres well when you apply it to the chest strap. Buh-Bump is a thin liquid cream that tends to run and drip off the chest strap. Spectra cost me about $1/oz while Buh-Bump cost about $3/oz.

I need a reliable HRM reading because I use a treadmill program which sets the treadmill speed based on my heart rate. If my chest strap does not make a good connection, the heart rate reading jumps around, and the treadmill goes a little berserk trying to get my heart rate reading to the target rate.

Both products provided a good HRM chest strap connection, but Spectra 360 was cheaper and easier and more pleaseant to use.
0Comment|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2007
I had been having problems with my heart rate monitor readings dropping out during mid-exercise so I decided to try electrode cream to see if it would help. Using Buh bump solved the problem. I haven't had the problem with drops outs or crazy spikes in my heart rate monitor since I started using the cream. I only need to use a little bit of it on each electrode so the 2.5 oz size should last for quite awhile. The stuff has a nice clean scent as well.
on March 13, 2007
I can not write English well, so I write the conclusion only.

I have tried a lot of gels and creams for my Polar chest strap, which I use with my Tunturi treadmill in HRC programs.

Till now, I had used several gels and creams, but they were not successfull for the job. The treadmill showed much more beats and so, the machine slowed down and the program did not work.

Now things chavged. I see 500+ calories burnt and 7Km distance, while with the other products, I saw 350calories and 5.5Km, at the same time interval.(1 hour).

Now, I add this for better results.

I use two pieces of cotton cloth cut to fit the electrode side of the strap, which ,(the cloth),I immerse in water first, and put them on the electrode side of the strap, putting some cream on both sides of the cloth.

This makes the surface moisture more time, so the system works very well.

With the addition of the cloth, I would put a 5 to rate the item.
on October 10, 2007
I experienced some really annoying misreadings and drop-outs with my Polar CS300 and first thought there was a problem with my heart rate monitor. But when I gave the cream a try all my problems magically disappeared. The heart rate monitor manuals and faq's should link to this page :)
Love it.
on January 16, 2010
When I do get a small window to work out, I don't have time to waste to get my heart rate monitor to work. Water usually works but when it doesn't I can waste 1/2 my workout trying to get the device to read my pulse. I found Spectra 360 Electrode Gel to be only slightly better than water. Buh-Bump cream, on the other hand, works perfectly every time, no issues ever. It takes so little to work the tube should last a long time. I highly recommend this stuff for use with heart monitors.

12/17/2015 update:
At some point the cream does stop working for me but it's not the cream's fault. In my case, every Polar chest strap (and every Polar watch) I have ever purchased eventually failed. I've since switched over to Garmin compatible chest straps with Polar or Wahoo Fitness sensors and don't need the cream any more. The cream is still great. I just don't need it with Garmin or Wahoo Fitness style chest straps.
on March 25, 2010
I've been using HRMs for the last 15 or so years, and I've always had better luck when I used gels. I've used both this and Spectra Gel, and I like this product better. It reminds me of (and probably is the same thing as) the gel that I used to use to attach the chest leads of an ECG machine to patients in the days before disposable pads.
This is somewhat more expensive than Spectra Gel (it works fine too), but you don't nearly need as much. Just a small dab on each side of the transmitter works fine. Spectra needs two or three times as much. Net: price per use is about the same.
on August 24, 2008
I had problems with the reading dropping off or not reading at all when I ran. I thought my HRM needed a new battery but I came across this and decided to try it. Well, it worked great! My readings haven't dropped since regardless of which exercise I am doing. Highly recommended.
on December 5, 2007
Made my sometimes erratic heart rate monitor behave...I get more out of my workouts and it smells nice, not overwhelming.
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2013
When I bought my heart rate monitor I just assumed I'd need electrode cream so I bought this. As it turns out My Garmin heart rate monitor works just fine without any cream. Some people lick their HRM or need to be sweaty for it to work but I've never had an issue with mine. My HRM works when I'm cold and dry and I get the same reading if I use cream or not. The Buh-Bump cream does work. It's non-greasy, long lasting, and non-staining so I'll give it 5 stars but before purchasing it I would check and see if your HRM will work without it. You'll save yourself some money.
on May 4, 2008
Ever since I started using this electrode cream, I haven't had any signal drops with my heart rate monitor. I can wear it all day, and even in martial arts class, and my heart rate monitor quite literally doesn't miss a beat.