5.0 out of 5 stars Slamming
Published on September 27, 2004 by Gift

3.0 out of 5 stars No where near classic , but it's o-kay
This CD left me puzzled . I still cannot understand the hype over this joint . There are only 2 or 3 songs that are worth surviving the fast forward button which are 1. I am I be . 2.Breakadawn . 3. Ego-trippin . Oh yeah , what ever happened to shorty no mas ?
Published on August 16, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Slamming, September 27, 2004
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
When I ask most hip hop heads what their favorite De La album is I almost always get "3 Ft..." as a response. Occasionally, I'll meet someone who is well-schooled who goes for "De La is Dead." Why has this album been so slept on? This is hands down their best record, in my opinion, and an artistic peak for both De La and Prince Paul. This album makes my top ten hip hop albums of all time list with a bullet. "Area", "I Am I Be", "Eyepatch", "Breakadawn", and of course "Ego Trippin'". Come on people, this album is a masterpiece. I think part of the problem is that the peak tracks come in the latter half of the record so it takes a thourough listen to really absorb its brilliance. And in all fariness it may be a simple matter of taste. The first four De La albums are all classics, but the production and rhymes on this one cannot be topped. At this point Native Tongues were on the outs and you can hear subtle references to this internal dispute throughout the album. I think this rift caused De La to get more introspective on this record and focus more on what they could offer as an individual entity. The result is the peak of the famed De La Prince Paul calloborations and the end of an era for De La Soul. Prince Paul went all out on this one sampling all kinds of crazy sh**t, like old Jeffeson Starship records. This album also stands as a lasting conceptual crtique of hip hoppers gettin' bigheaded when they get famous. "It might blow up, but it won't go pop.." In one shot De La made every egomaniac rapper look like a complete fool. I would highly recommend this album to anyone, even if you don't usually like hip hop.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOME OF THE BEST RHYMES OF ALL TIMES, February 2, 2000
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
De La would have taken hip hop into a direction of more complex rhymes and provoking thought, if hip hop fans could have been more turned on to this disc. Instead hip hop plateau'd and today is not significantly better than it was 10 or even 15 years ago. When compared to hip hop today, Buhloone Mindstate is on another level. Pos puts together rhymes that are unbelievable. Dove and Mace are right there with him and the result is the best rhyme flow I've ever heard. "Breakadown" and "I Am I Be" are amazing. "3 Days Later", "En Focus", "Patti Duke", "Eye Patch", "Area", etc. are all tight. "Long Island Wildin" is hilarious. The disc is flat if you just pop it in and don't really pay attention. But when you do listen closely, the tracks keep getting better and better and you hear exactly how amazing De La is. The disc has been underrated and overlooked. To me, it's the best, the apex of hip hop music.

5.0 out of 5 stars hoo ha, November 5, 2000
astro b boy (The De La Carnival Complex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
I was watching some teevee earlier this afternoon, something I rarely do ...all of a sudden multiple Delasoulians pop up in the "Breakadawn" video. Pulled out the cd and blew the dust off, popped it in the deck.......set adrift on memory bliss. I love De La. They're not all up in ya face with... man I've lost all will to finish this review. I think I'll just go stop someone in the street and tell them about De La Soul. It's a beautiful day people, turn off your damn computers. :-) seeeeeeeeeeeya

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 thumbs up, July 17, 2003
"rexxbanner" (Grosse Ile, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
Buhloone Mind State is De La's most creative and versatile work. To me, this record plays a large role in defining underground hip-hop in retrospect. It includes mellow, brilliant elements of jazz with borrowed ideas from jazz legend Dizzy Gillespie (kids playing in the background, traditional playground/summer sounds). The beats are refreshing, original and upbeat. The lyrics are thoughtful and become instantly memorable. De La Soul is an original, creative, and talented group, and they never fail to produce matching records. Buy this album. If you lose it, buy it again. This IS their most dazzling work

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the illist, June 30, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
a few years ago i let my friend hold this album for a few days so that he he could understand the sudden jolt of happiness that I felt after buying mind state.My friend was the type who only listened to MOP, Mobb Deep,you understand, hardcore hip hop. this album completely changed this dude...dela has this power over people, three feet high and rising had a similar effect on me. If you want to be moved by hip hop get this joint, it might change your out look on the genre

5.0 out of 5 stars De La's Best Album, April 8, 2005
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
Pppl are always quick to mention '3 feet high and rising' and 'de la soul is dead' as hip hop classics, and they are definately right...But somehow this album gets overlooked...In my opinion its their most cohesive and consistent album....Prince Paul produced some classic joints on this album..."breakadawn" and "i am i be" are dope cuts...While "ego trippin' part 2" might be one of the best rap singles ever....

Get this album, u wont be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars The Resurrection Of De La Soul., January 8, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
For those who were disappointed with "De La Soul Is Dead", then "Buhloone Mind State" will leave you pleased. On this album we see De La take a whole new direction in their music. While some compared this to "3 Feet High & Rising", it is by far very different. Instead of old samples of Steely Dan and Funkadelic, "Buhloone Mind State" has more of a jazz inspired sound to it with help from Maceo Parker and other jazz musicians. "I Be Blowin'" is actually just a jazz track in which Maceo Parker does some sax improvisations over the samples of "I Am I Be" with De La nowhere to be found on the track. The presence of jazz on this album is vastly different than fellow Native Tongue members Tribe's jazz-rap album " The Low End Theory". The samples on here seem to be more obscure and put together in an odd but good way. Hints of "3 Feet..." are present on this album as De La goes back to the lyrical stylings of their debut. Otherwise, "Buhloone Mind State" has its own sound, one that De La has never done before. Sadly, this album was seriously looked over by the public despite good reviews. It is time to realize that this is one of the best De La albums and deserves some respect. The singles "Breakadawn" and "Ego Trippin' Part Two" were far different from the style of rap at the time it was released and were two of the best tracks on the radio when this was released. If you don't own it, I suggest you pick it up especially if you are a De La fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hit the rye with the mayonnaise, November 8, 2001
"jackswagger" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
Chances are that if you are reading this, you already know that De La is one of THE greats in the fickle world of hip hop. However, I know a heck of a lot of people who STILL don't own a copy of this album. What are you waiting for?
This is their most cohesive effort ever put to DAT. It is the perfect soundtrack for a melancholy autumn afternoon. This is their last album under the guidance of Prince Paul and it shows the boys maturing as artists and as human beings. The tracks are all of one piece, jazzy and warm, with the funked dished out with such ease you might get the impression that this is actually easy to do. It ain't.
There are so many great moments-from the sounds of playing children mixed into the soundscape of I Be Blowin', to Pos' verse detailing his search for identity on I Am I Be, to Dove's uber bugged sing song verse that closes En Focus. Buhloone Mind State is quite an accomplishment sonically and lyrically. One of the best albums of any genre to come out in the 90's.
Stop snoozin. You will be pleasantly suprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars De La's pinnacle, January 14, 2002
Paul Courtright (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
This is the height of De La Soul. Not as goofy (but still as much fun) as 3 Feet or ...is Dead, this is the last record by the group to explore new territory. It strikes a balance between the bohemian elements of their early albums, and a certain maturity. It's the last time out that De La tried anything new and attempted to combine elements of non Hip Hop music (with heavy jazz elements, and off the wall snippets like the inclusion of a crew of Japanese MC's.) This record is also a treat because it's their last with Prince Paul (a split that was their biggest mistake...) The production is flawless, and eclectic. The only disappointment is that they couldn't follow this brilliant record with any more original material. The previously mentioned quote "I might blow up, but I won't go Pop," and Pos's line "**** bein hard Posdnous is complicated" both seem to have been thrown out the window on later records - especially the AOI series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sickeningly Underrated, August 22, 2001
This review is from: Buhloone Mind State (Audio CD)
It really makes me sad that this album still doesn't get the recognition it deserves. You can't go wrong with De La's first four albums, and Buhloone Mindstate is definitely one of De La Soul's finest moments. Yeah, it's not 3 Feet High..., but that's what's great about De La. They aren't afraid to experiment, and they never have to rehash their old albums. Buhloone... doesn't sound like 3 Feet High which doesn't sound like De La Soul Is Dead which doesn't sound like Stakes Is High. The production by Prince Paul is De La is brilliant. The funk and jazz samples are perfect; no other album sounds like this. Pos and Dave are great on the mic, and deliver some of their best performances to date. Check out "Ego Trippin' (Part Two)," "Breakadawn," "I Am I Be," etc. De La Soul fans must own this. Well, all hip-hop fans must own this. Stop sleeping on this. Buy it!

Buhloone Mind State
Buhloone Mind State by De La Soul (Audio CD - 1993)