Tour the towers that made history and altered the future. Why was New Yorks most famous skyscraper dubbed the "Empty State Building?" How big is Japans planned "supertower?" Tour the worlds most incredible skylines with award-winning author-illustratorand captivating storytellerDavid Macaulay (The Way Things Work) and trace the amazing stories of skyscrapers. From Frances Gothic cathedrals to Malaysias record-breaking Petronas Towers, Skyscrapers introduces courageous creators, recounts little known history, and reveals supersized triumphs through spectacular film footage and dramatic recreations.
- Discover how a medieval feud between rival Italian families helped create some of the worlds earliest skyscrapers
- Meet Gustave Eiffel, whose experience as a bridge builder produced one of the worlds most famous towers
- View rare footage of the Empire State Buildings construction, and learn what drove one of the buildings contractors to a nervous breakdown
- Learn how design flaws in New Yorks Citicorp Center could have led to the greatest skyscraper catastrophe in history
- Bonus activity! Build a mini-skyscraper using only newspaper, a few books, and an electric fan
David Macaulay hosts Building Big, the five-part series that brings you the amazing truth behind the greatest manmade wonders of the world. From the top of the Golden Gate Bridge to inside the Hoover Dam, Building Big travels the world exploring Bridges, Tunnels, Dams, Skyscrapers and Domes in unforgettable, really big adventures.
Includes bonus hands-on building activity designed for kids.