5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent essential reference I use on a daily basis
Published on August 4, 2011 by Darren Harrison

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy for kindle
Don't buy a kindle version of this book.
Image resolution is very low that you can't even read illustration.
They should scan it with high resolution and kindle should have zoom-in tool!
Published on May 6, 2012 by haribo

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy for kindle, May 6, 2012
Don't buy a kindle version of this book.
Image resolution is very low that you can't even read illustration.
They should scan it with high resolution and kindle should have zoom-in tool!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent essential reference I use on a daily basis, August 4, 2011
This review is from: Building Construction Illustrated (Paperback)
When I was hired as a technical writer for a major construction company I faced one potentially devastating obstacle. Without a background in construction I was often befuddled by a lot of the techno-lingo that engineers use when describing methods employed on the projects they were working on. I needed to understand these processes so I could write them up in easy to understand terms for chasing other work, but it would not be possible to quiz every engineer to explain these methods to me. I needed some desk reference that laid it out for me.

After consulting a colleague of mine they recommended picking up a copy of Ching's "Building Construction Illustrated" and it is probably the most valuable purchase I could have made. Ching describes almost every commercial construction technique you could conceive off, but it's the "Illustrated" part that is the real value in this work.

The description of each procedure is wonderfully illustrated with over 1,000 diagrams and graphical representations. These are easy to follow illustrations that really help explain what Ching is attempting to describe in the text. As such I am constantly referring to this book when I come across a term I am not familiar with and it has not let me down since. I am then able to translate the process into layman's language for all the people who sit on selection committee's who may or may not have an engineering background.

I've even had estimators stop by my desk at work and when surveying the line of books on the shelf relating to construction and marketing - this is the book they invariably praise.

This book comes highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Representation of Building systems, October 24, 2008
This review is from: Building Construction Illustrated (Paperback)
I purchased this manual while preparing for my NCIDQ examination. While it is not an in depth manual for architects, or someone studying architecture, it has the perfect amount of information for Interior designers.

There are many many illustrations, and the verbiage pertaining to the illustration is written next to it with an arrow pointing. For example: the header over a door is explained in detail, and then an arrow points to it in the door assembly illustration.

I found the information in this book very helpful when preparing for the examination, and many of the questions pertained to the information in this book.

A great addition to the library of any interior designer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Welcome Addition to your Library, February 16, 2007
J. head (littlteton, nh USA) - See all my reviews
This book By Francis Ching is short on text and long on illustrations. The large pages help show a clear picture in most instances. The illustrations are both the saving grace and bane of this work. When they are good they are really good, no better way to identify and pass along, various building techniques than to portray each in a sketch. The bad illustrations will cause you to twist and turn the book trying to make some sense of the picture. Illustrations like these need titles, such as "top view" , "side view " etc. Sometimes to save space I suppose, the author juxtaposed various views in irrational positions so a common viewpoint can not be figured upon. The lack of text makes these mystery illustrations all the more confusing. Aside from a few confusing pictures, the majority of the book is very informative. This book will be valued as a reference. It thoughly covers most subjects in a "Pros" and "Cons" type style, quickly cutting to the chase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Muat, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Building Construction Illustrated (Paperback)
I'm a civil engineer taking a drafting class. This is the best book that i have ever read about building construction. Goz ahead and buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition has un-readable illustrations, January 9, 2014
It's a great book, but please avoid the Kindle edition (like others have said) until they re-scan the book. The images (which are 80% of this book) are very very pixelated and on top of the low resolution scan, they are super compressed with tons of JPEG artifacts making the text difficult to read and sometimes impossible.

1.0 out of 5 stars kindle version should not be sold, February 6, 2014
Paul Brewington (Longview, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
The kindle version appears to be useless. I cant read illustrations and drawings have very poor resolution. They should not be sold.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy kindle edition, December 31, 2013
The contents of the book are good, but the drawing quality in kindle edition is terrible. You can hardly recognize the annotations of drawings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful in many ways., February 15, 2012
This review is from: Building Construction Illustrated (Paperback)
As an architecture student this book has been prevalent in my academic career. I've used it for everything from the smallest design ideas to broad material studies. What is great about this book is the illustrations. With every turn of a page comes a new sketch or diagram explaining the topic. The sketches are extremely well done and helpful. Anyone seeking assistance in the construction aspect of design or construction itself can benefit from reading this book.

Another thing about this book is it's extremely helpful for detailed wall section drawings or other detail drawings. We have been working with a focus on these type of drawings in my current semester and this book helps to answer a lot of questions and uncertainties. From the foundation of a building to the roofing material this book offers information on it. The diversity found within the pages and pages of subject matter is impressive.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone seeking assistance in construction, design or a hybrid of the two. What this book can offer is a broad range of material study and detailed sketches that illustrate perfectly how the inner mechanics of a building work. Any age can benefit from reading this book but I strongly encourage students in the design or construction field to purchase this.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Of A Kind, June 30, 2008
This review is from: Building Construction Illustrated (Paperback)
I am a 40 year + commercial real estate appraiser, real estate broker, property mananger, have participated in developing and remodeling offices and industrial properties. Have seen almost every publication offered by professional organizations, schools, public publishing companies. From beginners to those who have reached their business goals in real estate, this publication in in the upper ten percent. If I had to choose a single publication covering building construction, this one would be it.

Building Construction Illustrated
Building Construction Illustrated by Francis D.K. Ching (Paperback - March 3, 2008)
Used & New from: $34.82