From the Back Cover
With the advent of Java 2D and the Java Advanced Imaging API (JAI), sophisticated imaging functionality can now be incorporated into Java applets and applications. This new capability facilitates the creation of cross-platform, Internet-enabled imaging software.
Written with practicing programmers in mind, Building Imaging Applications with Java Technology is a comprehensive, practical how-to guide. This book focuses on the information imaging programmers must know to produce high-quality imaging software with Advanced Window Toolkit (AWT), Java 2D, and JAI.
Building Imaging Applications with Java Technology reviews the fundamentals of AWT, the original set of Java imaging APIs. It also presents the more sophisticated imaging capabilities in Java 2D and introduces the powerful functionality of the new JAI APIs. You will learn how to create all types of graphics; how to load, render, and manipulate images; and how to perform image analysis. Numerous detailed examples from the real world of Internet, satellite, and medical imaging illustrate key concepts and techniques.Specific topics include:
- Loading images from JAR files
- Describing shapes and the affine transformation in Java 2D
- Designing a class library of shapes
- Designing a component class for interactive drawing
- Designing a component class for displaying images
- Printing in Java 2D
- Implementing pan and zoom
- Implementing interactive rotate, shear, and flip
- Manipulating images at the pixel level using the Java 2D API
- Working with tiles in JAI to render large images
- Image manipulation in JAI using affine transformation, projections, and warping
- Image analysis in JAI, including edge detection, statistics, and region of interest computation (ROI)
- Remote imaging using RMI and JAI
- Internet imaging, including the use of Java 2D and JAI with servlets and JSP, the design of Web-based
- imaging applications, and the Internet Imaging Protocol (IIP)
- Using the new Image I/O framework to read and write images
"Putting It All Together" sections help you put vital concepts and techniques into practice with interactive examples using actual applications. All sample code in the book is available online.
About the Author