Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on July 12, 2009
Book covers all topics I was interested in but devotes considerable more pages to which dock type and design and less to the actual construction than I expected and desired.
on October 26, 2010
The book was very informative in regards to the different types of docks. However, I was looking for more information on the actual construction of various docks. I was looking for more detail about the various types of dock hardware and pilings to use when building a dock. The book was more of an overview than an actual resource on how to build.
on February 19, 2007
As a Landscape Architect I found the book helpful and very simple to use and browse through. It is a good resource. It would be helpful to have some construction sections or details illustrating construction techniques. Also having a resource guide in the back for manufacturers and supplies would be useful.
0Comment17 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2011
Bought this book to guide me through the construction of a 50 foot dock with a 30 foot T on the end. The book was very helpful in making decisions about dock style, materials and techniques. My friend and I built a very nice dock with a tiki hut on the end.
on November 20, 2015
this is not a how to book, this is a coffee table book with glossy photos and general data you could have pulled down on an internet search.
on August 6, 2013
If you are going to go it alone sort of, rather than have a pro build, then this is one of the books that you should read.
on August 7, 2013
good do it yourself informational book, I put it with the stacks of others like it. I would recommend it to anyone.
on December 29, 2014
Good illustrations and instructions.
on August 30, 2009
Do not buy a pre-built dock. They are generally flimsy and too expensive.

While I've built a few over the years, I purchased this book to learn about docks and it was a good book if you want to build from the ground up.

Rule #1, use good wood, treated and let it weather one season before painting. Red barn paint works well but it does make it hot on your feet in the Summer.

Rule #2, use quality hardware.

Rule $3, get a bucket to put parts in that hangs from the dock posts when you are installing, or mount it in the middle of an inner-tube.

I found this Field and Stream article and a vendor of dock parts that I used for my dock. I found RDS to be a good supplier with fine quality product.
[...]

I spent about $1800 to outfit 7 sections, less the wood which I sourced locally. When you stand on the dock it's like standing on concrete.
on October 9, 2015