Published on October 6, 2006 by Jane Lerner

3.0 out of 5 stars Misled
I bought this book expecting something about building resilience in teens while you are working with them. This book is obviously intended for parents of teens, and had I known I was reading another ‘parenting’ book I would not have bought it.

The meaning of resilience in the social services department is a child whom against all odds still is able...
Published 5 months ago by A. C

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have book for anyone parenting a teen! If you buy only one book on parenting -- BUY THIS BOOK!, October 6, 2006
As a single parent of a fourteen year-old daughter and a seventeen year-old son, I see the tremendous stress that my children and their friends struggle with on a daily basis. They are striving to be strong and independent while trying to balance the pressure to get good grades, deal with peer pressure and friends who are exploring risky behaviors, handle family tensions, and just figuring out to grow up to be the adults they want to be. This MUST HAVE book for all parents provides a realistic and easily understandable method of reconnecting with our teens, and gives us the tools we need to teach them not only how to handle the stresses they face now, but how to grow into resilient adults who will be prepared to face the challenges ahead. In fact, so much of the advice in this book is about raising children of any age to become strong and resilient, that I wish that I had read this book 10 years ago, although as a parent of teens I am finding it incredibly helpful in our everyday lives right now. This book also includes a special section at the end - one for pre-teens and one for teens that they can read themselves, and worksheets they can use to build their own stress reduction plan. My kids actually read this section, and described it as "cool", but I like it because it reinforces the strategies modeled in the book. If you buy only one book on parenting -- BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has saved my sanity!, June 18, 2007
I have read Dr. Ginsburg's book "Building Resilience in Children and Teens" cover to cover and still refer to it constantly. He has a way of writing that gives us (parents) a sense of confidence in what we are doing right and elaborates on concrete ways to do it better. This book has completely changed the way my teen and I communicate. I now find myself in a better position to relate to my teen's point of view, and am able to talk with her in a way that she will relate to. I think many parents feel that the teen years are a time to clamp down on kids in order to keep them from problem behaviors. Dr. Ginsburg's book has shown me how to handle letting teens make their own mistakes while guiding them in the right direction. It is so very hard to watch your child mess up, but when you see how essential that mess is to their development, it becomes a little easier to watch and learn instead of worry and lecture. I have learned these years are a time to listen and support instead of trying to mold our kids into who we think they should be. This realization has opened new lines of communication, which is the foundation for everything to come. This book is the best 15 bucks (or less) you will ever spend!

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this to parents of my adolescent patients, January 10, 2007
As an physician who takes care of adolescents exclusively, I am grateful for the resource that this book provides both to me and to my patients' families. Ginsburg's approach to understanding children and teens is fresh, realistic, and honest. He teaches how to understand kids and how to communicate effectively with them. He offers guidance on how to help children to help themselves, which is ultimately the skill they need to be well-adjusted, successful adults. Whether you are a parent or a professional, the insight provided by Dr. Ginsburg will change how you approach young people in positive, constructive ways. I keep copies in all of my exam rooms and in my waiting room, and I recommend it strongly to all my patients' parents. For my friends and colleagues, it makes an original and much appreciated gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for tips and strategies, July 6, 2011
Lonnette (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings (Paperback)
Dr. Ken Ginsburg's book, published by the American Academy of Pediatrics, is an engrossing read. The topic of resilience has been buzzing around parenting circles for several years now, and many books have been published offering advice, but Dr. Ginsburg's book stands apart for several reasons.

First, as a pediatrician specializing in adolescent medicine, his writing on child development is nuanced and holistic. Not only does he understand the medical aspects of maturation, Dr. Ginsburg brings a practical, strategic, empathic stance to his subject matter.

While there's no finger-pointing or blame-laying, Dr. Ginsburg is also clear in his observations how and (more interestingly) why many parents misstep. It's a compassionate view of a complex dynamic, and as a father of two himself, he understands first-hand the challenge parents face in making sense of their actions and attitudes towards their children.

As a parent education programmer, I find that audiences are hungry for not only deep theory, but for counsel on how to effectively implement the theories. This book is a great resource, full of tips and strategies for addressing a broad range of issues that crop up parenting children and teens.

Last, Dr. Ginsburg's concepts are "sticky" -- i.e., insightful, direct and fresh. They stay with me during the day -- that's a huge compliment in this super-saturated world we live in.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to launch kids who can handle adversity - READ THIS BOOK!, July 16, 2011
Dr. Ginsburg breaks it down and builds us (and our kids) up. This book helps parents understand why kids have difficulty solving their own problems. The author acknowledges clearly (as a dad of 2 teens himself) how hard it is to get out of the way while our kids are doing the hard work of growing up. Then he teaches us how to give them the skills they need so that we can have confidence in them, and let them face the challenges on their own two feet. Better yet, he tells us WHY we should and gives us the courage to do it.

Building Resilience in Children and Teens builds resilience in parents by boosting our own "7 crucial C's." Dr. Ginsburg practices what he preaches by teaching parents healthy coping mechanisms, building our confidence and competence to handle our children's pain as they make mistakes and learn to fix them on their own.

I echo the reviewer who said "Run, don't walk, to your computer to order this book!"

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for the Mindful Parent", December 7, 2011
Karen (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
"Building Resilience in Children and Teens : Giving Kids Roots and Wings" is a must read for the mindful parent. Dr. Ginsburg, the antithesis of the Tiger Mom, encourages parents to raise future, healthy 35 year olds rather than focusing on the short term goals of a high school graduate.

Intelligent, candid and poignant, Dr. Ginsburg delivers his 7 crucial C's of resilience in a comprehensive manner and provides practical guidance in all areas of wellness. He delightfully incorporates stories from his experiences making the text extremely engaging. The combination of his medical background, parental role and professorial delivery makes him a credible advocate for children and adolescents.

In addition to being an excellent parent resource, this book is a fantastic book club selection, guide for educators, or a basic reminder of what is important in life. As a mother of four children, ages 6-15, and an educator, I highly recommend this book to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars All parents should read this!!!, September 23, 2013
I had my daughter later in life on purpose. We wanted to do a few things as husband & wife first. After having a daughter age 40 she is now turning 5 this year. We really were looking for how to help her make good choices but not be a helicopter parent. At her age you want to shield them from many things. Of course I am not talking about dangerous situations, but getting their feelings hurt or setting your goals too high. This book really helps you realize what is most important "is the journey" along the way . The importance of free play with no guidelines & letting them have an imagination on their own. Not picking them up immediately after every spill builds personal strength in a different way. Not signing them up for every activity and expecting them to preform. I have learned so much & will more than likely read it later in her life as well for a reminder for me! LOVE THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars A relevant book for parents of children of any age, October 20, 2008
I too have read this book cover to cover and still go back to particular passages that I have tagged and highlighted. The positive message serves any parent especially as children transition from child to teen and teen to young adult. I have given this book to many parents because no other book makes a parent feel so empowered to raise healthy children as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a keeper!, October 26, 2012
I recently co-wrote the curriculum for a 4 part parenting class on resilience. As part of our research for the class, we read the top 5 books on resilience that were on the market, both for information, but also to select a companion text for the class. Our hands down top pick was "Building Resilience" by Ken Ginsburg. The book is extremely readable, but also contains solid nuggets of information that stick with the reader for long afterward. In fact, the class participants all told us that they enjoyed reading the book, and that it added to the information that we presented in the class.

Ken Ginsburg recently spoke to our Parenting organization, the Parent Encouragement Program in Kensington, MD. He brought his latest book, "Letting Go with Love and Confidence." I bought that one as well, and am looking forward to reading it.

As someone who has been teaching parenting classes for more than 17 years, I highly recommend "Building Resilience" to everyone, no matter where you are in your parenting journey.

Wendie Lubic, The College Lady and the Parent Encouragement Program

5.0 out of 5 stars I "prescribe" this book as the first line of prevention or intervention for parents who want the best for their kids, July 19, 2011
Raising kids is the most important--and challenging--job we will ever have. How do we teach our children to thrive in a world that seems ever more complicated than the one we grew up in? Ginsburg's approach to parenting provides those answers. As an adolescent medicine physician, I recommend Ginsburg's book as the first line of prevention or intervention for parents who want the best for their kids.

This is not a "cookbook" with parenting formulas. This book provides a "map" which helps adults understand the "landscape" of childhood and adolescence. It "orients" parents as to how to help their children navigate through development safely and securely. You can expect to find in these pages confirmation that you already have what you need to help your kids. You will also find concrete tools to use your knowledge and skills, especially when you're not sure what to do. Ultimately, Ginsburg's book teaches parents how to raise children who can grow up to stand on their own two feet.

Whether 3 years old or 30, whether struggling with `normal' developmental issues or major medical or psychological stresses, Dr. Ginsburg empowers parents to raise children who love, accept, and protect themselves. Isn't that what we all want for our kids?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings
Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings by Kenneth R. Ginsburg (Paperback - April 1, 2011)
$16.95 $9.32