From the Back Cover
Building Scalable and High-Performance Java™ Web Applications Using J2EE™ Technology
provides the concise roadmap Java developers and Web engineers need to build high-performance and scalable enterprise Web applications. It is unique in its focus on building efficient end-to-end solutions based on the widely adopted J2EE specification. Each of the relevant technologies is summarized and analyzed in terms of its scalability and performance implications. Special attention is also given to those parts of Web application design that extend beyond the J2EE specification, including strategies for efficient networking and database design.
Packed with general system architecture tips and balanced with succinct examples for each technology, this book allows you to focus on practical strategies for effective application design without getting overwhelmed with useless detail. As a result, you will quickly and easily be able to understand how to use J2EE technologies to build application systems that deliver scalability and high performance.
- Essentials of Web application architecture
- The J2EE standard
- General techniques for building scalable and high-performance systems
- The HTTP protocol, with special focus on features that maximize performance
- Java™ Servlets and JavaServer Pages™ (JSP)
- Enterprise JavaBeans™ (EJB)
- Java™ Message Service (JMS)
- Effective database design techniques
- Efficient database management with JDBC™ and SQL
- Essentials of Web Services, including XML, SOAP, WSDL, and UDDI
About the Author
Greg Barish is a consultant specializing in the design of and architecture for scalable and high-performance Web applications. He has held engineering positions at both Oracle and at Healtheon/WebMD, where he was primarily involved in the design and implementation of object-oriented, distributed application systems. Mr. Barish earned a B.S. in cognitive science from UCLA and an M.S. in computer science from the University of Southern California.