Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 16, 2007
Those of you who have read "The Hand-Sculpted House" by Ianto Evans will like this book. It is an excellent guide to building with cob. I felt that every aspect of building a house was covered in enough detail that you could start building with cob if you were even a little bit handy. Although building a house is covered well, it includes building fireplaces and cob ovens, too.

I paid forty five dollars for my copy at the Midwest Renewable Energy Fair and see now that I could have saved fifteen dollars. Still, if you are looking for just one book to cover many aspects of using cob then you won't go wrong with this book.
on June 1, 2009
While reading this book, I got the overall impression that the authors experienced the construction, took a few photos and notes and later had the epiphany, "I think I'll write a book". This isn't meant to sound heartless toward the authors, but the book just doesn't carry you along. Too many times they make references that just seem redundant like they were getting paid by the word rather than reading well or just plain good instructions. It is enjoyable as light reading and some good pictures about the couples' experience, but just needs some more work to rate higher. I haven't compared it with other cob books but it falls short compared with most of the other earth construction books I've read. It's a good book at first glance but just "OK" once you get into it.
33 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2006
This book shows you the ins and outs of cob building. It's very pleasant to read and a must for everyone interested in natural building. I own many books on natural building (mostly American) and find the views of the authors refreshing. You will not find claims of houses built for USD 15.000 or less in this book! No mumbojumbo, but just the bare facts in all of their beauty. I can wholeheartedly recommend this book as it will give you hours of reading pleasure.
on July 24, 2006
If you want to create a cob structure, BUILDING WITH COB: A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE is the item of choice, whether it be for a home or an outbuilding. Photos by Ray Main accompany details on how to pair cob building requirements with local construction codes and standards, offering both construction and overall maintenance guidelines. From different kinds of thatch and their lifespans to manufactured paint choices, BUILDING WITH COB is an essential guide.

Diane C. Donovan

California Bookwatch
on May 17, 2006
This book is a fantastic step-by-step guide for all people interested in sustainable, environmentaly friendly building. I found authors' way of describing building with cob as refreshing, simple and easy to follow. Illustrations and beautiful photographs help readers follow the building process from the beginning to the final product. I highly recommend this book!
on May 2, 2006
As a student of sustainable design, I found this book to be a breath of fresh air. It provides a thoroughly readable and practical, yet sophisticated, guide to building cob structures, explaining in straightforward and engaging prose both the philosophical and the technical aspects of cob construction and design. Yet its ambition is not limited to "how tos". The authors also self-consciously aim to portray and preserve a vernacular building tradition and the community life that sustains and informs it. I LOVE the illustrations. The gorgeous photographs enliven the instructional sections. Even if I am never able myself to undertake the building of a cob structure, the information provided in this book will help me make wiser decisions about my realtionship to the earth and the structures I choose to inhabit, and inform my participation in the devlopment of my community. I love this book!
on January 15, 2009
This is the book to have if you have the slightest inkling towards building with cob. The book goes into great detail on all aspects of cob building and has lots of good illustrations and photos to explain what they are saying.

Chapters include: History of Earth building, Site & Design, Finding and testing soil, Making Cob, Building with Cob, Foundations, Roofs, Insulation, Finishes, Earthen Floors, Fireplaces & Ovens, Restoration, Planning & Regulations. More or less everything you need to know on building with Cob.

The reason I only gave it 4 stars though, is that I wish they had put more photos of finished cob buildings in the book. I have seen some real nice photos in other books, so was a bit disappointed when they never included more in this one. Also, photos of finished cob interiors would have been real nice. Also, the book should have been proof-read a few more times. There are a couple of mistakes that should have been easily picked up, and what they say in some of the text, they show the exact opposite in some of the illustrations. It is easy to pick out though, because they do make themselves quite clear in the text. Also some of the things they don't class as 'Green', do have variations that are classed as Green products, so do yourself a favour and do your own research online. It would also have been nice to have a North American edition, but being written for people in the UK it still works for the rest of the world.

A better idea for Cob Fireplaces & Earthen Ovens can be found in the book "The Book of Masonry Stoves: Rediscovering an Old Way of Warming" by David Lyle or ,[...]

Not much else I can say other than it is a real good book, with stuff in it that I haven't yet read about in any other books.
on October 20, 2007
Lavishly illustrated, this is a well-organized, clearly written volume describing the processes necessary to build a range of structures using earth and straw (and a number of other natural materials). The drawings and photographs really help support the text, providing a rich introduction into the world of cob and natural building. An exceptional book for anyone thinking about getting involved with cob building.
on March 28, 2006
I'll never build a cob house. But I still love this book! I love the vision Adam and Katy have for how everyone can find some way to leave the world a little better than they found it. I love their compassion for the earth, their reverence for our natural resources, the spiritual underpinnings of their passion for cob houses. It makes me smile to look at the beautiful pictures and see these two young people hard at work, building organic houses that will last for centuries.
on June 29, 2006
Practical and readable guide to the building of cob structures. Excellent photographs and illustrations make this well written book an interesting read for anyone curious about how things work -- even for those of us who will never build a cob structure nor find playing in the mud a spiritual experience. More than worth your attention and time!