5.0 out of 5 stars Best Children's Book Ever
Published on November 15, 2006 by J. Strout

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
A little challenging for my 1st graders to stay engaged...defintely more for 4th and 5th graders I think!
Published 14 days ago by Haley

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Children's Book Ever, November 15, 2006
J. Strout (Downers Grove, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Hardcover)
This book is amazing. My 6-year-old son loves it, and my wife and I quite enjoy it too. The artwork is beautifully done, colorful, crisp, and bright. The writing is superb too -- perfect rhythm and rhyme, but not forced; I dare say it's better than Dr. Seuss. And the concept of this book really captures the imagination: this amazing car and all that it can do. One thing I especially appreciate about it is that the car does not change from page to page; it's completely self-consistent, even though each page points out some amazing new feature. I also love the front and back inside cover -- they're covered with sketches, in the front showing earlier ideas for the car that didn't make the cut, and in the back, showing the final design, like a rough blueprint.

We got this book from the library, but I'll be buying a copy, and looking for other books by the same author. No other children's book has ever impressed me like this one did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read Aloud for my 4 year olds, September 11, 2006
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Hardcover)
This is the first book I have read by this author and it is absolutely amazing. Done in rhyme, a child describes in perfect detail what the construction would be for his fine automobile.

I read to my children every night and I read someone else's review at Amazon and stumbled upon this book, I have to say it is a huge hit, and it's been included in our reading selection during every daily read aloud. My kids are starting to memorize it and they just got it a few days ago!

I can't wait to receive his other books! Buy this book, you won't be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Van Dusen is King, September 2, 2005
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Hardcover)
As a Father of two children who shares the duties of reading to my young children, great illustrations are a must.

In my opinion, Chris Van Dusen is king. Maybe Big King. Or Biggest. Possibly More Biggest King! Don't forget either that the guy also writes the things too!

"If I Built a Car" has some of the most imaginative illustrations I have seen in a long time.

Buy this book now. Words don't describe. But the pictures will!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, February 23, 2006
S. Postma (Hudsonville, michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. The rhyming flows well, making it easy to read over and over again to children. The artwork is bold and beautiful and there are some fun connections to the author's previous books. This is a story full of optimism and sunshine and imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it and all his others!, June 28, 2005
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Hardcover)
Mr. Van Dusen has done it again. Just perfect. I just love all his books. When your kids want you to read the same books over and over, these are great. I don't get tired of reading them. The illustrations are wonderful. In this one, the little boy has copies of Chris Van Dusen's books in his room and you meet up with Mr. Magee and Dee while driving your car on the lake. Perfect books! I can't wait for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I Built A Car, June 12, 2005
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Hardcover)
The book is great - each of his books is great alone, but they each get better and better. I read it to a Kindergarten class and a second grade class and they all just loved it. The rhyming words and the great illustrations caught the attention of these young kids. It inspired them all to draw and design their own cars and what their car would do. Great series of books to own. Can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super book for my son who loves cars!!!, September 2, 2005
boysmom "nhmom10" (Merrimack, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Hardcover)
The text rhymes, but it has great thoughts and we had a discussion of what if he built a car. He is 4.5 but it was a great tool to open his mind. The pictures are great and now I'm off to check out his other books. Would love to see him be more widely known, I think this is a standout book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, December 20, 2010
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 5 year old son. He is very picky about the books he reads. Unfortuantely, I typically can't get through a whole book because he loses attention fast. NOT WITH THIS BOOK. He sits there and looks in awe at the pictures while listening attentively to the story. I think the illustrations are very capitivating and better than that of most books (especially for a young kid). I just ordered two more of his books and can't wait to get them. I wanted to make sure I wrote a review because what I appreciate the most is the renewed bonding I have with my son through reading him something that he thoroughly enjoys. All of the ratings are spot on for this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars We just LOVE Chris Van Dusen!, March 28, 2013
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Paperback)
We own all the Chris Van Dusen books and my kids just adore his silly ryhmes and creative stories. We are a fan of all the McGee books and the baseball book and both "If I Built a Car" and "If I Built a House" books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Double-duty Children's Book, December 8, 2014
Janmaba (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Built a Car (Hardcover)
"If I Built a Car" served double duty. I arranged a baby shower for my daughter and son-in-law where couples and families were invited. We know a baby boy is on his way so it became my job to find a theme for this shower, and I got the idea of "cars" because all the guys in the family, on both sides, LOVE cars(not the Disney movie). This book served as a guest book because I left tiny post-its where geusts could sign and leave a message for our baby when he arrives. Also, my daughter and son-in-law are advocates of reading to children so they plan to read this to him when the time is right.

If I Built a Car
If I Built a Car by Chris Van Dusen (Hardcover - May 5, 2005)
$16.99 $12.82