5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best
Published 20 months ago by mandy

3.0 out of 5 stars Too similar
I pre-ordered this book because my son and loved "if I built a car" and "circus ship". Personally it didn't have the same excitement as the other two. Does my son like it, yes, but its just same story and rhyming as the car story.
Published 19 months ago by veggiemamaandme

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, November 7, 2012
This review is from: If I Built a House (Hardcover)
Chris Van Dusen is one of the best children's writers out there today. I am a Secondary School English Teacher with a 4 year old daughter. I can't believe how awful most modern day children's books pass as acceptable literature these days (lower the level and theme of literature = lower intelligence). Chris Van Dusen is very different, his writing is exceptionally good. My over all favourite book of his would have to be 'A Camping Spree with Mr Magee', but 'If I Built a House' (which has a slightly higher reading/comprehension level) is a magical tale of dreams, promising aspirations and hope. Great book, definitely a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Chris Van Dusen, November 21, 2012
This review is from: If I Built a House (Hardcover)
My boys (aged 4-10) love all the Chris Van Dusen books and this one did not disappoint. The story and illustrations are hilarious. The kids find something new every time we read it. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "If I Built" Books Are... Absolutely Wonderful!!, November 9, 2012
This review is from: If I Built a House (Hardcover)
My son James rec'd a copy of this book for his 6th birthday from his "Auntie Cheryl" -and he LOVES it! In fact, he took it in for "show and tell" at school and has been working hard since to design his very own "cool house!" ;-) We've enjoyed a number of books by Chris Van Dusen over the past few years - from "The Circus Ship" to "If I Built a Car" - clever, colorful and wonderfully imaginative - Van Dusen succeeds in fostering a love of creativity and imagination in his readers - never mind that these books are simply a pleasure to read! ;-) Highly recommend this author for elementary school-age children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Classic, October 25, 2012
This review is from: If I Built a House (Hardcover)
If you liked "If I Built a Car", from the same author, you'll love this book too. It's equally original, illustrated with vivid colors & attention to detail. Kids will love this wildly imaginative story & parents will love how it reminds them of their own childhood. Another instant classic from Chris Van Dusen. (As usual, look for Mr. Magee & his little dog Dee, hiding inside!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun book, November 20, 2012
This review is from: If I Built a House (Hardcover)
My 4 yr. old grandson likes to "invent" things and this book is a lot of fun for him. Seems to 'rev' up his imagination and we all enjoy reading it with him. Illustrations are fun and colorful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the Chris Van Dusen collection, October 29, 2012
Meg (east coast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Built a House (Hardcover)
My toddler and I are big fans of Chris Van Dusen's books, so I preordered "If I Built a House" after reading "If I Built a Car" many many times. "If I Built a House" has the same inventiveness and zaniness and I like how the author reaches for more complicated words sometimes. This book is about young Jack imagining a house with all kinds of fun things, like trampolines in the living room, a car-wash type of shower in the bathroom, a giant slide, a fish tank, a race track, and more. My toddler enjoys this book, though not as much as "If I Built a Car." I'd like to give 4.5 stars instead of 5 because the rhymes aren't as strong in some places and mainly because--and yeah, I'm being nitpicky--the author uses "ain't," which I think is completely unnecessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not disappoint!!!, November 8, 2012
This review is from: If I Built a House (Hardcover)
I think all of Chris Van Dusen's books are amazing. I have a 4 year old and we love reading his books. This newest book, If I Built A House definitely does not disappoint. My son loved If I Built A Car, which is the first book about this same little boy, Jack, who has big ideas. I had high expectations with this new one and I actually think it's better than the original. My son is hugely into race cars and trampolines, both of which are featured in this new book. So, for him, this house is PERFECT. LOL. He keeps asking to read this over and over again. Right after reading it for the first time, my son grabbed his Legos so that he could work on building his dream home, as well. LOL

Huge hit!!!

I would recommend ANY and ALL of Chris Van Dusen's books to everyone. They are all amazing. But, If I Built A House is one of the best. The pictures are amazing and the story has a very nice flow. We love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy Fun!, October 26, 2012
This review is from: If I Built a House (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic voyage into the wonderfully imaginative world of Chris Van Dusen. The rhythm of the story and eye catching illustrations create a memorable experience for both children and adults. Anyone who grew up in the 50's or 60's will instantly be transported back to their youth by the imaginative/sc-fi home design. My favorite of all Mr. Van Dusen's brilliant works.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, June 28, 2014
A year later both boys are still enchanted by the writing and pictures. Also check out his Mr. Magee books.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, June 26, 2014
This review is from: If I Built a House (Hardcover)
Love the rhyming, the dynamic tier three vocabulary and beautiful pictures!!! LOVE IT, My son begs me to read it every night, I have it memorized now, and its so much fun to read out loud!

If I Built a House
If I Built a House by Chris Van Dusen (Hardcover - October 25, 2012)
$16.99 $12.93