Once hidden behind the Iron Curtain, Bulgaria has slowly emerged as a refreshing European travel destination. The country’s unique culture, rich history and natural beauty will captivate first-time visitors and have them coming back for more.
Leslie and Patrick, the authors, served as Peace Corps Volunteers in Bulgaria, each spending over two years in the country. They lived, worked and played in local communities of Bulgaria while experiencing everything this Eastern European country has to offer. With the help of a national network of locals and expats, they have shared their unique insight and insider information throughout this book. To experience the real Bulgaria and to travel like a local, this book is a must.
- Discover the capital city of Sofia with our walking tour, highlighting the best cultural spots and places to relax in this historic city.
- Marvel at the impressive Rila Monastery, Bulgaria’s largest monastery, or the awe-inspiring site that is Glojene Monastery.
- Sunbathe on the Black Sea Coast or explore an ancient seaside town.
- Hike through one of Bulgaria’s spectacular national parks and spend the night in a traditional hidja.
- Enjoy Bulgarian dishes like gyuveche or kavarna kebab and wash it down with local red wine or, if you are in for something stronger, a glass of Bulgaria’s traditional rakia.