BulkSupplements Pure Acetyl L-Carnitine (ALCAR) Powder (100 grams)
Size Name: 100 grams (3.5 oz) PowderChange
Price:$12.96 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 22, 2014
Size Name: 100 grams (3.5 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
Acetyl L-Carnitine, also known as ALCAR, is a supplement that is becoming more and more popular, especially with the "nootropics" community. After extensive research, I took the plunge and ordered a 100-gram bag. I have tried regular L-Carnitine in the past with no real benefits. However, this was much different

ALCAR is an acetylated form of L-Carnitine. It has been shown to enhance transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria, and has been used for anti-depressant effects. Moreover, it has also been used to slow mental decline in elderly patients. It can cross the BBB (Blood Brain Barrier) and act as a potent antioxidant. If you want to check out some studies for yourself, it's worth checking out the studies on PubMed.gov and using your own judgement.

First off, the product arrived quickly and looked untouched. Credit for that. Also, on the bag that the ALCAR is in, a handy chart in included for measuring different doses with teaspoons (1/8 tsp, 1/4 tsp, etc). This is a huge plus, especially for those who don't have a digital scale. While it takes doses from 4-6 KG to really experience some side effects, it's always nice to know approximately how much you're taking.

The powder inside is the real gem, though. It is plain white with no real smell. It instantly dissolves on contact with water, so any kind of mixing/blending isn't required.

I take this stuff immediately after waking up on an empty stomach. Within 10 minutes, I'm feeling MUCH more energized and ready to take on the day. Even when I don't get my nice 8 hours of sleep, I still feel ready for whatever is thrown at me. It's an amazing feeling. One thing to note, though, is that ALCAR doesn't really give you a "stimulated" effect. It's calm, clean energy. In my opinion, it's much better than being jittery with caffeine.

Overall, great product. Would recommend to anyone.

Pros: Great, clean energized feeling. Mood elevation. Feeling more focused
Cons: None come to mind
on February 16, 2014
Size Name: 250 grams (8.8 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
Update 6/12/14: L-Carnitine is for the heart. Acetyl-L-Carnitine is for the brain. The acetyl group makes acetyl-l-carnitine much more water soluble and much more able to pass through the blood brain barrier. The main function of both carnitines is to transport long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondria and metabolize them for energy production.

There are four so-called "mitochondrial targeting nutrients" necessary to crank up mitochondrial health and performance. These are:
1. Acetyl-L-Carnitine,
2. Biotin,
3. alpha lipoic acid in a 100:1 ratio to biotin (50:1 if using R-fraction ALA),
4. Niacin (plus all the other B-vitamins, especially vitamin B-5).

I have been running HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) sprints for almost the last two years. I was running at the maximum recommended intensity of eight all-out sprints for 30 seconds three times a week.

About six months ago I received the first of the BulkSupplements materials including both l-carnitine and acetyl-l-carnitine. Soon I was running 50-second sprints, eight of them, seven days a week.

But a got sick three times early this year with bad colds, each one lasting over two weeks. I figured it was because I was exercising too hard, suppressing my immune system for too long. All that open-mouthed gasping can lead to a dry throat - and infection. So, I reduced to only five 50-second sprints seven days a week, breathing through my nose the entire time. What an improvement - no more colds. Then, timing myself with a watch, I was able to reduce the elapsed time in these sprints from 54 to 43 seconds (keeping the distance run the same). I can do this with or without caffeine. Whatever pains I had in my chest, or in my legs, no longer appear.

Stacks Updated 3/22/15:

The morning pre-workout stack (mostly BulkSupplements products in decreasing order of importance at a daily cost of $1.03) that I drink twenty minutes before running five 50-second sprints is as follows:

1. Acetyl-L-Carnitine, 1 gram
10. Choline-Bitartrate USP, 0.75 gram
11. DMAE-Bitartrate, 0.7 gram
12. Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane USP (MSM), 2.5 grams
13. Niacin Vitamin B3 USP, 0.05 gram
14. Calcium Ascorbate, 1 gram, (0.1 gram elemental calcium, 0.9 gram ascorbate)
15. L-Theanine, 0.15 gram USP
16. L-Glutamine, 1.0 gram USP
17. Sublingual Methylcobalamin, 333 mcg, (Jarrow's) taken with this stack

An occasional nootropic pre-workout stack (all BulkSupplements products in decreasing order of importance at a daily cost of $0.11) is as follows:

1. Green Tea Extract, 50% polyphenols, 0.25 gram
2. Synthetic Caffeine (Trimethylxanthine) USP, 0.2 gram
3. Ginkgo Biloba 24%, 0.2625 gram
4. Rhodiola Rosea 3% Salidrosides, 0.2 gram

The 1:00 PM mealtime stack (all BulkSupplements products in decreasing order of importance at a daily cost of $1.57) is as follows:

1. Acetyl-L-Carnitine, 0.5 gram
25. Choline-Bitartrate USP, 0.75 gram
26. Inositol USP, Vitamin B-8, 0.6 gram
27. Horsetail P.E. 7%, 0.44 gram
28. Hyaluronic Acid Food Grade, 0.05 gram

Additional supplements in decreasing order of importance taken with the 1:00 PM meal include:

1. Krill Oil, 500 mg includes 200 mg phospholipids, 50 mg EPA, 27.5 mg DHA, 0.5 mg astaxanthin, (Dr. Mercola, $0.175)
2. Omega-3 fatty acids, 3600 mg includes 1200 mg EPA, 600 mg DHA, (Trader Joe's, $0.36)
3. Astaxanthin, 12 mg, (Nutrex Hawaii Bioastin Hawaiian Astaxanthin, $0.38)
4. Ubiquinol, 100 mg, (Trader Joe's, $0.36)
5. Vitamin K, 1000 mcg K1 as phytonadione, 1000 mcg K2 as menaquinone-4, 200 mcg K2 as menaquinone-7, (Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex, $0.23)
6. Natural multivitamin, (Trader Joe's, $0.22)
7. Iodine, two drops daily, 5.5 mg iodine + iodide, (Lugol's, $0.017)
8. Chlorella, organic broken cell wall, 1000 mg, (Dr. Mercola, $0.12)
9. Spirulina, 1000 mg, (Trader Joe's, $0.12)

The nighttime stack (mostly BulkSupplements products in decreasing order of importance at a daily cost of $0.65) is as follows:

1. Magnesium Citrate, 6.0 grams (0.9 gram elemental magnesium)
2. Potassium Citrate, 6.0 grams (2.16 grams elemental potassium)
3. Ascorbic Acid USP, 2 grams
4. L-Taurine, 2 grams
5. N-Acetyl L-Cysteine USP (NAC), 0.6 gram
6. Quercetin Dihydrate, 0.25 gram
7. L-Theanine USP, 0.15 gram
8. Sublingual melatonin, 625 mcg, (Source Natural) taken with this stack

To avoid continuously opening and closing Ziploc bags and making multiple measurements, I mix up a one-two month supply of the stacks in large bottles and take a single measurement from each:
1. Morning pre-workout stack: 8.27 teaspoons (24.8 grams) shaken in 16-24 ounces of spring water.
2. Occasional nootropic pre-workout stack: 0.304 teaspoon (0.913 gram) mixed in with the morning stack.
3. 1:00 PM mealtime stack: 7.47 teaspoons (21.7 grams) shaken in 8-16 ounces of spring water.
4. Nighttime stack: 4.54 teaspoons (17.5 grams) shaken in 4-8 ounces of spring water. I use a flour sifter to thoroughly mix the supplement powders.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2013
Size Name: 500 grams (17.6 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
This supplement is a no-brainer for just about everyone. It was way cheaper than Alpha GPC (I know they work differently, but I imagine people new to the noortropics market will be looking at both), This one bag will last you months. I take it as soon as I wake up as its best on an empty stomach. Definitely provides a sense of clarity and focus. I also feel good throughout the day but admittedly this is not the only thing I'm taking so it's not exactly a scientific study.

I have heard of people losing sleep if they take it too late so I avoid this. ALCAR is not a supplement for caffeine. If you are addicted to caffeine as I am, ALCAR will still work but you won't appreciate it if your brain is still craving caffeine. I am weaning myself off of caffeine in order to get a great benefit from this and my ALPHA GPC. In short, this is a cheap, effective product with minimal side effects if taken as directed. If you have any more questions about it, google ALCAR and read about it on the message boards. It gets universal acclaim especially considering how much cheaper it is than a lot of the "brain booster" blends sold at your local GNC. I have recently switched to single ingredient supplements from places like bulk supplements and I stack my own blends. Do the same for my pre-workouts. Way cheaper and I know exactly what I'm taking and exactly how much. Also, kind of fun to find the right supplements for your particularly brain/body. Everybody's different so there's no reason one particular supplement mixture would work for everybody.

Taste isn't great but totally manageable. I just throw back a 1/4 teaspoon with a chaser twice a day no problem.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2014
Size Name: 100 grams (3.5 oz) Powder
I spent a year doing scientific research on this amazing compound. There seems to be a lot of misconception about it, probably stemming from the way it is advertised in energy drinks and workout supplements. L-carnitine is not the type of supplement you can take once before a workout and experience a heightened athletic performance. An exhaustive review of the scientific literature shows that any perceived effect to the like is mere placebo. The magic of L-carnitine is in its powerful antioxidant properties, especially in the mitochondria. It protects against aging of these organelles, and has even been shown to increase their proliferation in skeletal muscle if taken long-term. It has also been shown to shift the body's energy usage from carbohydrates to fats. If taken consistently on a daily basis, these properties are what make L-carnitine an energy booster. I take acetyl L-carnitine because it has been demonstrated to improve cognitive performance in people with chronic fatigue syndrome, which I suffer from. I take about 1.5g every morning. If you're an athlete or bodybuilder, I highly recommend this product. It is sort of pricey, and is way more cost-effective if you buy the bulk powder. I use a capsule press to make my own pills. BulkSupplements always has the best value I can find online. Five stars for sure.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2014
Size Name: 500 grams (17.6 oz) Powder
As a Rower with a high calorie and high protein and high fiber diet, I've been taking an L-Carnitine on and off since high school. Acetyl L-Carnitine apparently (from what i've read) is a great supplement to take if you eat a lot of meat because it helps metabolize and burn saturated animal fat. Now, I'm no Biochemist so I'm not going to sit here and copy and paste what came up when I Googled "Acetyl L-Carnitine Benefits", but when I take the supplement I feel like I have much more energy and endurance when during training and conditioning. Its almost as if I've taken a big shot of Glucose, even though I rarely eat carbohydrates.

Now a little bit about this specific L-Carnitine product. I mentioned before I have taken L-Carnitine and Acetyl L-Carnitine for a long time, and thus I've tried many different companies and "blends". In my opinion this pure form of Acetyl L-Carnitine is the highest quality and purest form you can buy. On top of its high quality, the price is about as reasonable as you're going to find out there. 30 capsules bought via The Vitamin Shoppe or online can cost you between $15 to $45 dollars. Keep in mind 30 capsules at 500mg each is only 15 grams of the supplement and for $16 dollars you can get 250 grams. 5 stars all the way.
on March 16, 2014
Size Name: 250 grams (8.8 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
Acetyl-L-Carnitine also known as ALCAR is a natural remedy super antioxidant, occurring form of L-Carnitine that specifically benefits the brain. ALCAR helps supply the brain with energy by improving energetics in the mitochondrion, the cell's energy generator. ALCAR promotes biosynthesis of acetylcholine, a key neurotransmitter for brain and nerve function. Acetyl-L-Carnitine has been shown in clinical studies to benefit cognitive ability, memory and mood.
Typical dosages for the diseases described here range from 200 or 250mg to 1000mg 2-3 times daily. Carnitine is taken in three forms: L-Carnitine (for heart and other conditions), Propionyl-L-Carnitine (for heart conditions), and Acetyl-L-Carnitine (for Alzheimer's disease). The dosage is the same for all three forms.
The principal food dietary sources of Carnitine are meat and dairy products, but to obtain therapeutic dosages a supplement is necessary. L-Carnitine works best when combined with CoQ10.
on May 7, 2014
Size Name: 500 grams (17.6 oz) Powder
I am a senior citizen, and I want to do as much as I can to enjoy my golden years. I have a very good MD that believes in building your body up with proper foods and quality supplements so that you can fight the aging process. He has me on B-Complex vitamins, a Multi Vitamin, Alpha Lipoic, etc so when I read an article about research by Dr. Bruce Ames and his post doc Tomas Prolla on the four different functions known to decay in the mitochondria with age, I was interested. They were looking to understand and optimize metabolic function to prevent mitochondrial decay, I took note. Because of work done by Italian researchers, they decided to feed old rats high doses of Acetyl-L Carnitine. Acetyl-L Carnitine improved 3 of the 4 functions they were testing known to decay in the mitochondria with age. The older rats became more like the functions of younger rats. Carnitine declines with age, so supplementing makes sense. The fouth function was found to improve with Alpha Lipoic Acid which is a mitochondrial metabolite. Acetyl-L-Carnitine and lipoic acid seem to be synergistic. I have just start on the supplement. I have had no side effects. My husband has taken Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid for two years and his and my health are both better. Hope it works for you.
on January 12, 2015
Size Name: 500 grams (17.6 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
I purchased this product in search of something that might increase mental focus during and after exercise as I am a 44 year old male who rides a bike 20 miles a day to get to and from work where I am employed as a line cook in a busy restaurant. I have to give it my all to compete with the younger staff. For what it is worth I am up for a small promotion.

In short, this has worked for me a lot better than I expected and has been a god send. I think this is how I'm suppose to feel and wonder what I could have accomplished 20 years ago going to school, and running my but off with ALCAR from "Bulk Supplements"...well maybe now I'll go back to school hmmm? The thought has crossed my mind.

I generally put in at least 2 ten hour shifts a week and receive minimal sleep during these periods sometimes going as long as 36 hours with no sleep due to personal priorities. I live on my mountain bike even during the winter and has become a lifestyle for me.

You can't live like this consuming tons of coffee and energy drinks without burning out as I began to do...until I put down those types of chemicals and picked up ALCAR (and other supplements I might add) from Bulk Supplements, and began doing things right.

ALCAR gives me a mellow buzz without getting all weird or wired. It is used in the treatment of all sorts of psychological ailments and I can see why. You'll just have to try it to see what I mean. Also I wasn't going to mention this but what the heck, it kind of turns me on lol. I will definitely purchase this again having added it to my "stack".

It may seem expensive, however bear in mind serving sizes are only 1/8 teaspoons 3 times a day, and boy let me tell you it really packs a punch!

It is my contention that most ailments (including psychological) are a result of malnutrition. Of course the logical course of action would be to just eat healthy. In my personal crusade to do just that I found most food you would expect to be healthy is not...not even fruit and vegetables since most are genetically modified and contain excessively lowered nutritional content. Food can even be certified organic as long as it is at least 70 percent organic.

I could go on and on with this but my point here is that weather you are a true health nut or find yourself forced into living well as a means of survival like me you will be happy to know there is a great company like "Bulk Supplements" which supplies pure ingredients that do not contain the poisons you are trying to avoid such as Aspartame, and MSG. That, and the price is what really sold me on this company about 2 years ago and have purchased a plethora of supplements from them since; the latest being ALCAR.

My only complaint is that it is bitter, but so what? It's not meant to be consumed as a tasty beverage. Besides that it dissolves in water instantly and does not clump up like powdered milk or whatever. As such it is rapidly absorbed into your system and can be felt immediately.

I feel, faster, stronger, better as a result and it didn't cost me six million dollars.
Size Name: 250 grams (8.8 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
I think a lot of supplements are voodoo. Most people don't really need them. However, I was having trouble in terms of mental clarity and some mild depression after the loss of my 21 year old cat. I saw this product (though not from this seller) being promoted in a book on aging and decided to try it. I started with just one dose per day and when I didn't get any side effects, increased it to two doses per day.

It took two days before I felt any difference at all, and the difference is small, but definitely noticeable. Mental clarity went up for sure and my mood lightened a little. Now I'm only spending 5 cents or so per dose, so it's not like I expected miracles, but it did way better than I expected. I normally have fairly stressful dreams and woke up on my 4th day after starting this stuff and instantly realized I had my first really *good* dream in years. I mean years. And it was so vivid that I had to question whether it had been a dream. That just doesn't happen to me.

Was it a placebo? Possibly, but if so, it was worth every penny. I'm a bit more alert and find it a bit easier to think clearly. I have not found it helpful in helping me sleep better or longer. It's not going to make you 20 again, but it seems to be able to erase about a decade in terms of mental alertness, so I can highly recommend it.
on March 16, 2014
Size Name: 500 grams (17.6 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
This supplement is a staple in my daily battle to keep my body fat down all year round. L-Carnitine is best taken on an empty stomach, so first thing in the morning I mix about 1000mg in a large glass of water with a little cyanne pepper and lemon. I've used other L-Carnitine supplements and they always taste awful and make me sick to my stomach. I always just chalked it up to another sacrifice in the name of competition. This has virtually no taste, dissolves in seconds, and is HALF the price of all others. Please understand if you are looking for the body fat reduction this supplement has been proven to produce, it takes time (minimum 3 months to notice results) and should be utilized as it is stated, a "supplement" to a healthy diet and exercise routine.

I have 6 other supplement powders I use daily from BulkSupplements; whenever I'm considering trying something new I look for it here first. Hands down best quality and price.