55 of 55 people found the following review helpful
on March 22, 2014
Size Name: 100 grams (3.5 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
Acetyl L-Carnitine, also known as ALCAR, is a supplement that is becoming more and more popular, especially with the "nootropics" community. After extensive research, I took the plunge and ordered a 100-gram bag. I have tried regular L-Carnitine in the past with no real benefits. However, this was much different
ALCAR is an acetylated form of L-Carnitine. It has been shown to enhance transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria, and has been used for anti-depressant effects. Moreover, it has also been used to slow mental decline in elderly patients. It can cross the BBB (Blood Brain Barrier) and act as a potent antioxidant. If you want to check out some studies for yourself, it's worth checking out the studies on PubMed.gov and using your own judgement.
First off, the product arrived quickly and looked untouched. Credit for that. Also, on the bag that the ALCAR is in, a handy chart in included for measuring different doses with teaspoons (1/8 tsp, 1/4 tsp, etc). This is a huge plus, especially for those who don't have a digital scale. While it takes doses from 4-6 KG to really experience some side effects, it's always nice to know approximately how much you're taking.
The powder inside is the real gem, though. It is plain white with no real smell. It instantly dissolves on contact with water, so any kind of mixing/blending isn't required.
I take this stuff immediately after waking up on an empty stomach. Within 10 minutes, I'm feeling MUCH more energized and ready to take on the day. Even when I don't get my nice 8 hours of sleep, I still feel ready for whatever is thrown at me. It's an amazing feeling. One thing to note, though, is that ALCAR doesn't really give you a "stimulated" effect. It's calm, clean energy. In my opinion, it's much better than being jittery with caffeine.
Overall, great product. Would recommend to anyone.
Pros: Great, clean energized feeling. Mood elevation. Feeling more focused
Cons: None come to mind
94 of 99 people found the following review helpful
on February 16, 2014
Size Name: 250 grams (8.8 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
Update 6/12/14: L-Carnitine is for the heart. Acetyl-L-Carnitine is for the brain. The acetyl group makes acetyl-l-carnitine much more water soluble and much more able to pass through the blood brain barrier. The main function of both carnitines is to transport long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondria and metabolize them for energy production.
There are four so-called "mitochondrial targeting nutrients" necessary to crank up mitochondrial health and performance. These are:
3. alpha lipoic acid in a 100:1 ratio to biotin (50:1 if using R-fraction ALA),
4. Niacin (plus all the other B-vitamins, especially vitamin B-5).
I have been running HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) sprints for almost the last two years. I was running at the maximum recommended intensity of eight all-out sprints for 30 seconds three times a week.
About six months ago I received the first of the BulkSupplements materials including both l-carnitine and acetyl-l-carnitine. Soon I was running 50-second sprints, eight of them, seven days a week.
But a got sick three times early this year with bad colds, each one lasting over two weeks. I figured it was because I was exercising too hard, suppressing my immune system for too long. All that open-mouthed gasping can lead to a dry throat - and infection. So, I reduced to only five 50-second sprints seven days a week, breathing through my nose the entire time. What an improvement - no more colds. Then, timing myself with a watch, I was able to reduce the elapsed time in these sprints from 54 to 43 seconds (keeping the distance run the same). I can do this with or without caffeine. Whatever pains I had in my chest, or in my legs, no longer appear.
Stacks Updated 3/22/15:
The morning pre-workout stack (mostly BulkSupplements products in decreasing order of importance at a daily cost of $1.03) that I drink twenty minutes before running five 50-second sprints is as follows:
1. Acetyl-L-Carnitine, 1 gram
2. L-Carnitine, 1 gram
3. Creatine Monohydrate, 5 grams
4. L-Citrulline dl-malate (2:1), 3.0 grams
5. Beta-Alanine, 3.2 grams
6. N-N-Dimethylglycine HCL (DMG), 2 grams
7. N-Acetyl L-Cysteine USP (NAC), 0.6 gram
8. N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine USP (NALT), 1.6 gram
9. Grape Seed Extract Food Grade, 1 gram
10. Choline-Bitartrate USP, 0.75 gram
11. DMAE-Bitartrate, 0.7 gram
12. Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane USP (MSM), 2.5 grams
13. Niacin Vitamin B3 USP, 0.05 gram
14. Calcium Ascorbate, 1 gram, (0.1 gram elemental calcium, 0.9 gram ascorbate)
15. L-Theanine, 0.15 gram USP
16. L-Glutamine, 1.0 gram USP
17. Sublingual Methylcobalamin, 333 mcg, (Jarrow's) taken with this stack
An occasional nootropic pre-workout stack (all BulkSupplements products in decreasing order of importance at a daily cost of $0.11) is as follows:
1. Green Tea Extract, 50% polyphenols, 0.25 gram
2. Synthetic Caffeine (Trimethylxanthine) USP, 0.2 gram
3. Ginkgo Biloba 24%, 0.2625 gram
4. Rhodiola Rosea 3% Salidrosides, 0.2 gram
The 1:00 PM mealtime stack (all BulkSupplements products in decreasing order of importance at a daily cost of $1.57) is as follows:
1. Acetyl-L-Carnitine, 0.5 gram
2. L-Carnitine, 0.5 gram
3. Ascorbic Acid Powder USP, 2 grams
4. Curcumin 95% Curcuminoids, 0.5 gram
5. Betaine HCL, 1.2 grams
6. Quercetin Dihydrate, 0.25 gram
7. N-N-Dimethylglycine HCL (DMG), 1 gram
8. DMAE-Bitartrate, 0.7 gram
9. Vitamin E Powder Food Grade, 0.35 gram
10. N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine USP (NAC), 0.6 gram
11. Biotin 1% (10000 mcg biotin), 1 gram
12. Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane USP (MSM), 2.5 grams
13. Grape Seed Extract Food Grade, 1 gram
14. Pine Bark Extract Food Grade, 0.4 gram
15. Milk thistle USP 80% silymarin, 0.25 gram
16. Pomegranate Extract 40% ellagic acid, 0.5 gram
17. Rutin USP, 0.65 gram
18. Lutein 5%, 0.25 gram
19. Grapefruit Seed Extract (10:1) Food Grade, 0.25 gram
20. Beta Sitosterol 40%, Phytosterols 90%, 1 gram
21. Ginkgo Biloba 24%, 0.2625 gram
22. L-Lysine HCL, 0.68 gram
23. L-Proline, 2 grams
24. Vitamin D Powder (5,000 IU), 0.046 gram
25. Choline-Bitartrate USP, 0.75 gram
26. Inositol USP, Vitamin B-8, 0.6 gram
27. Horsetail P.E. 7%, 0.44 gram
28. Hyaluronic Acid Food Grade, 0.05 gram
Additional supplements in decreasing order of importance taken with the 1:00 PM meal include:
1. Krill Oil, 500 mg includes 200 mg phospholipids, 50 mg EPA, 27.5 mg DHA, 0.5 mg astaxanthin, (Dr. Mercola, $0.175)
2. Omega-3 fatty acids, 3600 mg includes 1200 mg EPA, 600 mg DHA, (Trader Joe's, $0.36)
3. Astaxanthin, 12 mg, (Nutrex Hawaii Bioastin Hawaiian Astaxanthin, $0.38)
4. Ubiquinol, 100 mg, (Trader Joe's, $0.36)
5. Vitamin K, 1000 mcg K1 as phytonadione, 1000 mcg K2 as menaquinone-4, 200 mcg K2 as menaquinone-7, (Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex, $0.23)
6. Natural multivitamin, (Trader Joe's, $0.22)
7. Iodine, two drops daily, 5.5 mg iodine + iodide, (Lugol's, $0.017)
8. Chlorella, organic broken cell wall, 1000 mg, (Dr. Mercola, $0.12)
9. Spirulina, 1000 mg, (Trader Joe's, $0.12)
The nighttime stack (mostly BulkSupplements products in decreasing order of importance at a daily cost of $0.65) is as follows:
1. Magnesium Citrate, 6.0 grams (0.9 gram elemental magnesium)
2. Potassium Citrate, 6.0 grams (2.16 grams elemental potassium)
3. Ascorbic Acid USP, 2 grams
4. L-Taurine, 2 grams
5. N-Acetyl L-Cysteine USP (NAC), 0.6 gram
6. Quercetin Dihydrate, 0.25 gram
7. L-Theanine USP, 0.15 gram
8. Sublingual melatonin, 625 mcg, (Source Natural) taken with this stack
To avoid continuously opening and closing Ziploc bags and making multiple measurements, I mix up a one-two month supply of the stacks in large bottles and take a single measurement from each:
1. Morning pre-workout stack: 8.27 teaspoons (24.8 grams) shaken in 16-24 ounces of spring water.
2. Occasional nootropic pre-workout stack: 0.304 teaspoon (0.913 gram) mixed in with the morning stack.
3. 1:00 PM mealtime stack: 7.47 teaspoons (21.7 grams) shaken in 8-16 ounces of spring water.
4. Nighttime stack: 4.54 teaspoons (17.5 grams) shaken in 4-8 ounces of spring water. I use a flour sifter to thoroughly mix the supplement powders.
4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
on January 12, 2015
Size Name: 500 grams (17.6 oz) PowderVerified Purchase
I purchased this product in search of something that might increase mental focus during and after exercise as I am a 44 year old male who rides a bike 20 miles a day to get to and from work where I am employed as a line cook in a busy restaurant. I have to give it my all to compete with the younger staff. For what it is worth I am up for a small promotion.
In short, this has worked for me a lot better than I expected and has been a god send. I think this is how I'm suppose to feel and wonder what I could have accomplished 20 years ago going to school, and running my but off with ALCAR from "Bulk Supplements"...well maybe now I'll go back to school hmmm? The thought has crossed my mind.
I generally put in at least 2 ten hour shifts a week and receive minimal sleep during these periods sometimes going as long as 36 hours with no sleep due to personal priorities. I live on my mountain bike even during the winter and has become a lifestyle for me.
You can't live like this consuming tons of coffee and energy drinks without burning out as I began to do...until I put down those types of chemicals and picked up ALCAR (and other supplements I might add) from Bulk Supplements, and began doing things right.
ALCAR gives me a mellow buzz without getting all weird or wired. It is used in the treatment of all sorts of psychological ailments and I can see why. You'll just have to try it to see what I mean. Also I wasn't going to mention this but what the heck, it kind of turns me on lol. I will definitely purchase this again having added it to my "stack".
It may seem expensive, however bear in mind serving sizes are only 1/8 teaspoons 3 times a day, and boy let me tell you it really packs a punch!
It is my contention that most ailments (including psychological) are a result of malnutrition. Of course the logical course of action would be to just eat healthy. In my personal crusade to do just that I found most food you would expect to be healthy is not...not even fruit and vegetables since most are genetically modified and contain excessively lowered nutritional content. Food can even be certified organic as long as it is at least 70 percent organic.
I could go on and on with this but my point here is that weather you are a true health nut or find yourself forced into living well as a means of survival like me you will be happy to know there is a great company like "Bulk Supplements" which supplies pure ingredients that do not contain the poisons you are trying to avoid such as Aspartame, and MSG. That, and the price is what really sold me on this company about 2 years ago and have purchased a plethora of supplements from them since; the latest being ALCAR.
My only complaint is that it is bitter, but so what? It's not meant to be consumed as a tasty beverage. Besides that it dissolves in water instantly and does not clump up like powdered milk or whatever. As such it is rapidly absorbed into your system and can be felt immediately.
I feel, faster, stronger, better as a result and it didn't cost me six million dollars.