Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BulkSupplements Pure Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) Powder (1 Kilogram)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Size: 1 Kilogram (2.2 lbs) Powder|Change

on May 25, 2014
This ascorbic acid has helped heal my fatigued adrenal glands. I take 1 gram (1,000 mg.) three times a day with meals. My adrenal glands are healing nicely with this. Of course I take this ascorbic acid along with other supplements I purchased on Amazon (pantothenic acid, magnesium, rhodiola, ashwaghanda, licorice, Tulsi, burdock, etc) as part of a comprehensive adrenal fatigue healing program. The adrenal glands use a large amount of the body's vitamin C, especially during times of stress. It is wise to give your body extra C as humans cannot manufacture it in our body, unlike most animals. Also, adrenal glands are integral to a healthy, functioning immune system. Ascorbic acid is water soluble and excess will be excreted by the body. To be absorbed optimally and not cause GI distress, it is best taken with meals, preferably in divided doses.

This product comes in a heavy duty Mylar bag to protect it from moisture, light, and air. It is best to transfer a smaller amount upon receipt to a light-resistant bottle to protect freshness and prevent oxidation.

Vitamin C is also necessary for collagen production in the body. It can help your body repair and maintain collagen in joints & connective tissue. In addition to taking this vitamin C orally, I also apply it once a day topically to my face, neck, and chest as an anti-aging/wrinkle and brightening serum. I make a 20 percent solution to use as a topical face serum to maintain facial collagen. This solution is kept in an amber or blue bottle with dropper to protect from UV light degradation. There is much information on the web on creating your own do-it-yourself cosmetics, if you are interested. During adult years, approximately 1 percent of facial collagen is lost per year unless steps are taken to maintain it. Ascorbic acid is a potent collagen re-builder, antioxidant, and suppresses excess melanin causing pigmentation, effectively "brightening" the skin. Making my own serum saves me appropriately $150/bottle or $600/year. Using oral and topical vitamin C definitely keeps skin looking younger, and is a very cost-effective anti-aging measure.

I am happy with this purchase, product, and seller.

Thank you for taking the time to read this review. I write reviews in appreciation for the reviews other honest reviewers have written which have helped me in deciding which product to purchase on Amazon. If this review has been helpful to you, please click "yes" below.
11 comment|225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2014
This is absolutely fantastic stuff. While I believe that I get enough vitamin c from food, this powder cannot be beat for two other reasons:
Topical serum:
If you'd like a sure-fire way to improve your skin, make a serum with this stuff. It helps with texture, clarity, and the fading of age spots. There is a secret to this, but it's very easy and inexpensive. Another reviewer mentioned that this is a bit gritty for topical application. That is true, but if you also purchase this same company's hyaluronic acid and include that in your serum, after a day or so it will not be gritty. The recipe for a two oz dropper bottle full is:
1/2 tsp hyaluronic acid to 4 tsp vitamin c powder. I fill the bottle partially with spring water, measure the dry ingredients out on a piece of paper, then fold the paper to funnel the powder into the bottle. Then just fill the bottle mostly to the top with more water and shake it all up. It will be very clumpy at first, but a day or so in the fridge with periodic shaking will fix it right up. You can adjust the amounts of powders up and down to fit your needs. This amount of vitamin c can be too strong for some. I especially love to use this serum after derma rolling (research that here on Amazon for great skin) and before and after sun exposure to ward away the age spots. Just be sure to always store this serum in the fridge. Although controversial, my skin loves the sun, doesn't seem aged by the slight unprotected exposure I give it, and is always healthier when exposed. There are many cultures who get significantly more sun exposure than we do here in North America, and their skin cancer rates are significantly lower to non-existent. Studies show that diet is the reason. Makes sense if you think about it; but like I said, controversial. Anyhow, I don't have any age spots but I use this vitamin c as a preventative anyway. As a side note, in addition to your serum and derma rolling, a scrub made with baking soda, fine fine fine ground sea salt, and safflower oil makes a beautiful daily cleanser. I put the salt and oil in my vitamix (any blender will probably do) then grind up the salt until it is fine enough. Then take it out of the blender and add enough baking soda to get it to the consistency that I want it to be. Safflower is the oil of choice because it is rated a zero on the comodogenic scale. I cleanse with this scrub, clean it off with a washcloth and warm water, then remove most of the oil with a dry towel. It is basically the oil cleaning method, and it works wonders. With these two natural, DIY treatments, why would you ever put expensive chemicals on your face again?
All beauty products, lotions, and cleansers are incredibly easy to make for yourself with Bulk Supplements products. Need sunscreen? Make a lotion and add their zinc oxide. You can also mix the zinc oxide with clove oil to make an effective tooth filling (youtube it). Better than putting toxic dentistry fillers into your body. These are all unrelated to the vitamin c, but as you can see, the list of things you can do to live a healthier life with bulk supplements' products goes on. I love this company, and no, they didn't ask me to say that. I had an issue with a link provided in one of their emails (not their fault) and my inquiry was answered immediately and so nicely.
The last thing I will say about this vitamin C powder is that it also has several culinary possibilities. I mentioned not believing that I need it as a supplement, however it is the perfect thing to use for sour in any recipe. It is not bitter, just a very pleasant sour that could be used as a coating for sweet candies, salt and vinegar flavored anything, or sauces that need a hint of sour. Did I mention that this stuff is absolutely fantastic?
3737 comments|286 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2013
I love this product because it's in powder form so I can mix this with my drinks and has no flavor. I was a bit confused when I opened the bag because it looks like sugar crystals but it's not. I use this as a regimen to help me with my hypothyroidism as I could no longer afford to buy pills every month. Since starting the natural way on helping my thyroid get what it needs I actually feel normal which is a good thing! I was diagnosed four years ago and I always felt off and lethargic while taking synthroid, not to mention horrible mind fog. I'll be going to get my bloodwork done sometime next month and we'll see if this in conjuction to the other supplements is helping my thyroid.
1616 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2015
I ordered this vitamin c to refill my shower filter cartridges, Vitamin c is the only thing I can find that removes chloramine from my city water, That stuff is nasty, worst than chlorine and they both dry out your hair and skin when you shower, plus breathing in the mist is bad for your lungs especially if you have asthma.
I am more than happy with this purchase, it arrived in two days and is exactly what I was looking for. Great price.
review image
55 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2014
I have read that this is great to use on your skin. I use this and Olive Oil on my face at night along after I put my mixture of Hyaluronic Acid, Vita C, DMAE and glycerine vegetable on. I really do see the difference in my skin. It looks younger! I will continue purchasing and highly recommend this product.
55 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2014
UPDATE January 19, 2016: [The BulkSupplements website no longer says that this ascorbic acid is exclusively L-ascorbic acid and no longer says that it is rated US Pharmaceutical grade. However, Amazon has this answered question: "Our Ascorbic Acid is the L-Ascorbic Acid form of the product. By BulkSupplements on January 7, 2016"]

The BulkSupplements website says that this ascorbic acid is exclusively L-ascorbic acid, is Non-GMO, has absolutely no additives, and is certified US Pharmaceutical grade (indicating a very high level of purity). These statements, plus the fact that the price is very reasonable gives me reason to buy it and rate it five stars. I consider this pure ascorbic acid a "find" and I am very happy with it.

The ascorbic acid is probably made in China. The "Non-GMO" is a hint as China has little GMO corn. (In just the last few days, Chinese government officials were caught digging up and stealing hybrid corn seeds from a US seed development facility.) Nevertheless, the Chinese are fully capable of doing everything it takes to inexpensively manufacture very high purity ascorbic acid. Yes, the Chinese have extreme environmental pollution including the use of banned agricultural chemicals and a cultural tendency to adulterate food products, but BulkSupplements can just tell their Chinese suppliers, "If your shipping container full of product does not pass our US-based purity tests, you do not get paid." The BulkSupplements "manufacturing" facility in Nevada, I think, only does testing, final packaging, and order delivery.

Bottom line: If this l-ascorbic acid passes US-based purity tests well enough to be certified US pharmaceutical grade, then it does not matter where it was grown, processed and purified.

Incidentally, it is very easy to purify "single-species" substances like l-ascorbic acid by a process called recrystallization. Ascorbic acid is created by the conversion of glucose, which comes from cooking cornstarch. The raw l-ascorbic acid solution is slowly cooled so that crystals start to form. The lattice surface of each growing crystal rejects molecule by molecule anything that is not l-ascorbic acid. Only l-ascorbic acid molecules are shaped right to fit into the growing crystal lattice. Then, the liquid filtrate containing all the impurities is discarded and the process repeated a few times to get extremely high purity. Whatever poisons, adulterants, lead, mercury, arsenic, herbicides, et cetera, remaining in the final USP-grade ascorbic acid are now completely insignificant. Most BulkSupplements products are "single-species" substances and this is their secret to being able to provide very pure powders at very low cost.
77 comments|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2014
I've wanted to try a vitamin C facial serum for a long time, but the ones I've found were so expensive. I found a recipe to make your own that wouldn't cost an arm & a leg. I also read that you need to use the "ultra fine" powder, so I ordered this & received it today. I have already made my first batch & it turned out great! You DO have to dissolve your C powder in water first before adding your glycerine & it took less than a minute of stirring for it to completely dissolve. I've already tried it out & there was absolutely no grainy feeling at all, so I'm very pleased with this! I'm also going to be adding some to my smoothies as well for the added health benefits. I will add the recipe below for the ladies who want to save a lot of money & make their own serum. I received this product on the date promised & it was carefully packed very well. I would definitely recommend this company & this to anyone wanting to make their own & save tons of money! This bag will last me forever because you use to little.

Vitamin C Facial Serum
Start out with a 5% & gradually move up to a higher strength. You might feel a stinging at first, but if it's to bad, just lessen the amount of vit. C until you get adjusted to it.
Ingredients:
5% Serum 1/4 tsp. powder 4 tsp. distilled water 3/4 tsp. glycerin

10% Serum 1/4 tsp. powder 2 tsp. distilled water 1/4 tsp. glycerin

15% Serum 3/8 tsp. powder 2 tsp. distilled water 1/8 tsp. glycerin

20 % Serum 1/4 tsp. powder 3/4 tsp distilled water 1/4 tsp. glycerin

Mix your C powder into the water until it dissolves. Then add your glycerine. (personally I only added half the amount of glycerine & used aloe vera gel for the rest) And that's it! Quick & easy!

This will only keep for a week as any longer will cause it to oxidize, so you need to make a small batch each week. It needs to be stored in a dark bottle & away from light or heat. I'm keeping mine in the refrigerator, but you can store it in a drawer too. Sterilize your bottle first. And should you notice your serum has turned yellow, that means it has oxidized & is no longer productive. Even if it does, this powder cost so little & will make SO much that it's no big deal to make another quick batch! I will definitely by buying more bulk products from them, as it's so much cheaper & you get a good quality product!
on April 5, 2013
Great packaging and fair price. I took off 1 star due to the uncertainty of gmo in the product. I pulled up the bulksupplements website and the picture on their site looks identical with the little man design but says bulksupplements on the label instead of puredepot. Clearly on the website it says non-gmo. Why is this not labeled on the package or stated on the amazon page? Since my product says puredepot instead of bulksupplements, I am uncertain if it is exactly the same thing. Other than that this is great with a light lemony flavor. Since only so much vit c can be absorbed by the body at once I take 1/8th tsp (529 mg) in the morning and another 1/8th in the afternoon. Build up slowly or it may upset your stomach.
77 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2014
BulkSupplements offered me a free sample of 100mg and invited me to try and review. After two weeks of external usage I must say that I love what it's done to my face. I use it every night before bed time, so as to avoid light, because Vitmin C can be easily oxidized and becomes yellowish. I scoop out a "drop" of the Vitamin C powder and mix it directly with a few drops of hyaluronic acid solution (1%) on my palm. This Vitamin C powder is a little bit difficult to be solved directly in pure water, but it can be solved in hyaluronic acid rather easily. Then I apply the mixture onto my face and neck, and the effect is perceptible the very next morning. The two products together tighten up my skin and brighten up my complexion, and I cannot love them too much.
on April 13, 2015
I am definitely going to be buying from this company again. This stuff is awesome and serves multiple purposes, used for skin mixed with glycerin some even add it skin cream, Aloe Vera gel to use for skin and hair, put a little bit it in hair conditioner and shampoo, I have a friend who does this with vitamin C oil. I am a tartness freak I added a bit to some lemon aid it dissolved easily and tasted good. Yes this is weird I know there are actually people who use this to remove hair dye I thought they were kidding me but it worked. I am new to this never used the powdered version before and look forward to trying the many uses of it. DISSOLVING it this is easily done with hot tap or very warm water

Acne and oily skin

Freaking awesome I mixed some of this with liquid body soap and have been washing my face with it it killed the acne removed the heavy build up of oil and cleared my skin, plus the way it cleaned my pores it was like I had used a facial mask, hehehe acne got it's butt kicked smiles evilly. I used the same mix in the shower makes an excellent body cleanser as well. I know this is weird I used it like toothpaste it stripped the plaque right off, I wouldn't do it all the time because of the acid

Hair dye remover

Holy crap it actually works, I was told mixing vitamin C with shampoo removes hair dye I tried an experiment after cutting my hair I made a swatch mixed equal amounts of the vitamin powder with shampoo made a mix with the same thickness as hair conditioner. I coated the swatch with it put it in a plastic cap covered and left it sit for a while. about half an hour later I came back and it had removed a good amount of the dye. It will not remove heavy layers of dye with one time but it removes a decent amount, NOTE it does dry hair out but conditioner fixes that. Then if you want afterward you can use [Color Oops] hair dye remover

Update April 28 2015. toe nail fungus

I had a toe nail turned milk white which means a foot fungus in some cases the accompanying stench is most foul, I tried an experiment I put 2 table spoons of the powder in hot tap water in a foot basin soaked my feet for about 1 hour. later after done soaking I dried them off and noticed the white color had faded a lot by the following day the nail was clearer. Salt can also added with the Vitamin C powder with no problem. Afterward I did put pure lemon oil on the nail to help keep it sterelized and clear lemon acts like a bleach it fades freckles so I knew it'd help this
review image review image review image review image review image review image