Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bull Durham
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on June 15, 2016
I got this to play in a multi-region Blu Ray player in Australia and it works fine. Got it on sale for $5, so much, MUCH cheaper than it'd cost me in Australia. The picture on mine is the classic photo, not this one shown in the picture.
on April 13, 2002
This film was my favorite baseball movie until "61*" appeared, but it's still a classic. Some really great performances, but the chemistry is what's outstanding. There are some weaknesses, but this film pretty much defines synergy -- it's greater than the sum of its parts.
The Costner/Robbins commentary is great fun, in part because Costner isn't afraid to open up and criticize the pitfalls of the movie-making process. His descriptions of the deleted/alternate scenes leave us longing for a 20th anniversary edition (should there be one) that could include them. It also would have been great to hear Susan Sarandon's comments. The guys clearly hadn't seen the movie in a while and there's quite a bit of genuine laughter. Early in the commentary, Costner says something like, "If weren't not careful, we're just going to sit here and watch this thing." You get the impression that he's drawing Robbins out and helping him to become more comfortable -- remarkably like the Crash/Nuke relationship by the end of the film.
If the deleted/alternate scenes would have been included, I would have given this edition 5 stars. Regardless, it's worth owning.
on January 1, 2014
This is pretty good - better in some ways than I remember but not as great in others. Not crazy about Susan Sarandon's slutty behavior, Tim Robbins unmemorable acting, and Kevin Costner being so mean! Very happy to add to my baseball movie collection though!
on April 22, 2006
From the vintage images during the opening credits, I found myself feeling nostalgic, which is odd because I'm a relatively new baseball fan and I had no idea who most of these important players in baseball history were. (Admittedly, I was given a brief education beforehand by a fan of the movie who recommended I watch it.)

Why the nostalgia?

Perhaps because of the Americana that baseball represents.

The movie had a distinctive 80's feel, in terms of plot, character, and direction. They just don't make movies like they did in the 80's. I think it's something to do with that old Cold War feeling of good versus evil and belief in America and Americans. It translated effortlessly in film and maybe that's why most of my favorite movies of all time were made in that era. Sure, they're formulaic, but I like the formula. The characters were better, the conflict was better, and yes, the baseball was better.

Maybe the nostalgia I feel is because of the romance: there's a love triangle, and more importantly, there's the romance of the baseball diamond.

Kevin Costner as Crash Davis is the everyman character, the player with the brains but not the talent. He's so believable and confident that I find it easier to forgive him for some of his wooden performances I've seen since.

Tim Robbins played the over-the-top Nuke LaLoosh and he was so accurately naive and smarmy in his role that sometimes I felt embarrassed for him. And I've never noticed how tall he was until he stood next to Costner, dwarfing him.

Susan Sarandon (Annie Savoy) is smoldering and smart. I often wonder why we think she is sexy and it's easy to see from this film that it's her attitude more than her unusual looks. And it was more acceptable to go around without a bra back then, too.

Her house with the wrap-around porch and the swing and the clawfoot tub and femininity everywhere made me want to move back east, into a small town in the south and buy a grand old fixer-upper under a mossy live oak. Summer nights would be spent at the ballfield, watching the local Triple A team play. Ain't that America?

I can't believe it took me almost twenty years to watch this film. I'm glad I waited. I wouldn't have appreciated it any sooner.

Crash Davis said, "Play the game with fear and arrogance."

Oh, and if you're lucky, you'll find the person you were meant to be with sitting on your porch swing when you come home after a game's been rained out.
on June 6, 2013
Even though this movie is about 25 years old it still holds up today, no big plot turns or attempts at a social revelation, it is just for fun. All three of the main actors stay true to the characters they play and the movie is fun to watch. There is sexual material and language giving the movie an "R" rating, but, if you're tired of todays crude humor this could be an enjoyable film to watch.
on March 31, 1999
I'll make this short and sweet, what makes this movie so good is the reality you feel from the characters in the movie. I think the best scene in the movie is when the players have a meeting on the pitchers mound and the talk about everything BUT baseball. I heard someone once say that scene is actually how it is sometimes. Quite funny!!
VINE VOICEon April 7, 2007
"Bull Durham" was released in 1988. It was written and directed by Ron Shelton, who knew his way around a baseball field, and runs the bases in a swift,witty 108 minutes. It stars Kevin Costner, in what may be the first of his successful sports-themed movies, Susan Sarondon, and a young Tim Robbins, at the outset of his career. It happily combines romantic comedy and baseball: many people still consider this the best movie about the boys of summer.

It's set in Durham, North Carolina, then, as now, a minor league southern town, with advertisements for the simpler regional remedies of the time on the stadium's walls, many reminders of its tobacco-dependent local agricultural economy, and the plentifully blooming oleander, one of the glories of the south, all around the town. (But, you will recall, the decidedly major league Duke University is also in town.)

At any rate, as it opens, young "Nuke" LaLoosh (Robbins), a cocky, extravagantly talented but wild pitcher, has just reported for duty. He's shortly followed by Crash Davis (Costner), a seasoned catcher, the player to be named of the contract,sent to help tame LaLoosh. They form two sides of a romantic triangle with Annie Savoy (Sarandon), a part-time teacher of English at the local community college, and, more importantly, the team's unofficial trainer-handler. Every season she takes one player as her lover; he leaves her bed a better man, and a better player. Who's it to be?

Trey Wilson and Robert Wuhl turn in winning performances as the team management. The film's three stars also turn in disciplined, light on their feet performances. The film apparently catches them before their powerful primes. Sarandon and Robbins, who real-life hooked up pretty darn permanently on this set, later became more interested in arguing politics. Costner, who became a very big star indeed, later began delivering home-made chaotic behemoths to the multiplex. Here, all three deliver their lines with gusto.

Be warned, if you're looking for family viewing, the film's got some pretty salty, appropriate-to-ball players language. The film's also got an entertaining score, including several sly blues, and a vinyl Edith Piaf "No, Je Regrette Rien" on Savoy's old record player. Add flavorful interior decoration -- Savoy's house is a marvel of funky eclecticism. Also some pretty hot, sexy scenes; some witty, resonant dialogue that's passed into the national consciousness: "I believe in the church of baseball," Annie says. (It can't be coincidence that baseball players call their groupies "Annies.") And "Bull Durham" actually quotes famed American poet Walt Whitman's "I Sing the Body Electric;" it goes on to quote him further: "I see great things in baseball." If all baseball movies were as good as this, so would we all.
on August 8, 2003
An adult baseball movie with a love triangle to annoy some and to thrill others. Snappy dialogue, good characters (major and supporting) all with the science,philosphy, and religion of baseball in the foreground and background. The film that's one of Kevin Costner's signature roles as an intelligent, macho, aging baseball player is the highlight of the film, also bringing Tim Robbins into the forefront, and lastly, gave Susan Sarandon one of her final "sexy leading" performances. Good support performance from Robert Wuhl and from the game of baseball itself . Note: One interesting scene in the film... Kevin Costner's character, Crash Davis states (in one of his witty rants during one of the awkward "love triangle" scenes) "...I believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone...!". A few years later, Kevin Costner plays Jim Garrison in JFK in which this character believes in the conspriracy theory of the John Kennedy assassination.
on January 2, 2014
This Blu-Ray disc is really top-notch! I'm not sure why these outfits keep packaging DVDs with the BR discs. Don't we buy BR because we don't WANT the DVDs? But still they come....

I'll leave the movie reviews to others. I like it, but it's not for everyone. The BR disc, however, is wonderfully sharp. You won't be dissapointed. I guess you just leave the DVD in the box. Seems kinda silly, huh?
on February 5, 2000
Forget all rest,THIS is THE best baseball movie of all time. If you love baseball, truly love it, then you should enjoy this movie.