Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on February 4, 2011
I think there may be some confusion over the purpose and use of this tool. Check the Bully Tools web site and look at their "broadfork". You will see this uses similar construction for a smaller tool. Then check the Johnny's Seeds site for "broadfork". If you review the use of this tool, you will see it is not for breaking sod or initial cultivation. It is for use in previously prepared rows or beds for areating the soil. One uses body weight to insert the fork, then again uses body weight to pull back on the handle/handles, rotating the tines upward through the soil, areating but not lifting it. This tool is promoted by Elliot Coleman in his books on vegetable gardening, and versions of it are $180-$200 at Johnny's.

2/13/2011
After receiving the fork from Amazon, a couple more comments: First, the fork shipped does not have a fiberglass handle, but an all steel handle, both the shaft and the "D" are all welded steel, no bolts. Second, for use as a broadfork, the tines may be a bit short ahd closely spaced (as compared to their 20" broadfork which I also have), third, this certainly is a very heavy tool, and rocking back with the large two-handed "D" handle, can exert a lot of force. I'll see how both tools work in the garden this spring....
When I worked at a hardware store, I would ask people; "Are you digging just one hole, or a lot of holes?". Cheap shovels and forks are fine if you have one quick project and then you can lose the tool in the back of your shed. But if you are a gardener and you know you will be using the tool over and over, then this is the kind of tool you want!

This fork is heavy and solid, all metal except for the handle. And the handle is larger than your standard "D" handle. Big enough for two hands or for when you have on heavy gloves. Everything else is solid metal, if you can break this tool, you should get an award for the effort.
on June 13, 2014
I am totally impressed by this digging fork. It is super heavy duty - all metal with a thick handle and super thick prongs. I have broken countless digging forks both with wood and fiberglass handles on tough root balls. This one broke through a root ball like it was nothing. My back was very happy! It's a bit heavier to carry. Otherwise, it was well worth the price in quality and durability! It has an extra wide grip handle and is basically like a smaller broad fork. I would buy other tools by this company in a heart beat!
on April 11, 2010
This is one huge lump of steel and then a red fiberglass handle. Like most bully tools it sacrifices lightweight and elegance for heft and durability. I did some seriously heavy duty forking in hard packed soil with a bunch of black walnut roots to contend with and I bent some of the tines multiple times. I hammered them back and have had no problems with this aspect of the tool. The one flaw is with the red handle. It is attached to the two metal pieces using screws. As I used the fork the red part started unscrewing on both sides thus splaying the two metal parts out. It happens quickly and constantly. To use it once this has started you need to walk around with a phillips head screwdriver in your pocket so that you can constantly screw it back in. It is a crippling flaw on an otherwise great tool. A shame really. I will try to use the warranty.

Update on 11/Jun/2012: Make sure to check Gregory's review. Looks like these now come as one huge piece of steel; no red handle. Either way I got tired of the handle and removed it. Then, I hammered the sides down and wrapped that whole upper portion in duct tape. It just looks like a T at the top now and as ghetto as this is, the fork works perfectly. I use it yearly, and not always in pre-tilled beds. It's a beast.
on July 18, 2015
I had been using an antique garden fork to flip over my compost heap, and my wife used it to turn over her 10x20' raised bed garden.
Stupidly, I used it to dig a bunch of holes to plant some shrubs in hard clay, and I broke/bent the handle and bent a tine. I bought this Super Fork figuring it would hold up better. I was right, this thing is heavy duty... Too heavy duty actually. It is really heavy, and made flipping my compost heap a lot of work, and my wife said it weighed too much for her to use. If you want to use this in a raised bed garden with soft dirt, you don't need anything this heavy. If you want to use it to flip compost, not needed, and too heavy. If you want to turn over virgin soil, or dig holes to plant shrubs/trees in virgin dirt, this is a great tool. My wife went out and bought a cheap garden fork at Aldi's for $10 and while it is cheap, it works great for flipping the compost heap, and I think it will hold up with turning over the garden when the time comes.
BTW, I'm 6'1" and weigh in at 270 lbs, so when I say this one is on the heavy side for simple work, It is. I would give it 5 stars for heavy digging only.
on February 18, 2015
This spade fork is great! I am the one that always breaks a new spading fork within first day of use..sometimes my fault, other times it was a lousy tool. Admit that I expect miracles from these tools...and I got my miracle in this one!! Thanks for making it in America and making it strong. Cannot recommend a better fork...it's heavy for carrying around, will build up muscles, it's wonderfully heavy duty.
on April 28, 2015
When I hear people talk about rototilling their gardens, I cringe thinking about how this process disrupts the soil ecosystem. (If I had a huge area to work, I might feel differently, however.) I am so glad to have this fork as an alternative for loosening packed-down dirt. It's super sturdy, so I just step on it and lift up the soil enough to make it workable. I don't do anything heavy duty, so I expect this to last for many years
on May 29, 2015
I've only used this fork for one gardening season so can't say how it will hold up in the long run. At this point it is the best spading fork I've owned and I've tried quite a few. When preparing a new garden bed, my hard clay eventually breaks most of them.

The flat "shelf" at the top of the fork allows for the application of lots of force. The handle design provides the grip surface necessary to rock the fork back & forth in hard soil.

Although coated with rust resistant paint, this fork will rust so I spray it with rust inhibitor after cleaning it.
on April 23, 2015
This is one of the best tool purchases I have ever made. I just finished using this fork to break up the soil prior to using my small size rototiller on my 60 by 12 foot garden. The soil was to damp to use the rototiller and by the time I wait to use it, the soil hardens up making rototilling difficult to do. The weight of the fork, and the longer length of the handle, plus the wide foot pad and heavy duty handle made forking the soil a breeze. I am 64 years old and having the right tool to do this tedious job is great. Excellent tool at a good price.
on June 11, 2015
All metal one piece. Very sturdy, have not had any trouble with tines bending. A little on the heavy side though. Wife has trouble using it because of this. I like the fact that you can put your foot on it and push it into the ground like a shovel. I would definitely buy again but don't think I'll ever wear this one out.