4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch not so great band

3.0 out of 5 stars Strap fell apart quickly; can't be replaced
Published on November 30, 2009 by Trilobite Enthusiast

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch not so great band, June 25, 2009
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
I really like this watch and haven't had any mechanical problems and thought the price I paid was fair. One of the main reasons I picked this particular wastch was because I really like the band. I've had the watch less than a year and the band is falling apart. The green canvas is coming off of the backing. I sent an email to Bulova to see if they sold a replacement band but never got a response.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for a great price., February 12, 2009
WiLL (Sacramento, CA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
The Bulova Men's Strap watch #96A102 is a great watch for a great price.Its dial is easy to read and the watch is very light and comfortable. You Just have to remember that the dial window is Acrylic and is easy to Scratch.
Paid $85.00 including shipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bulova Mens 94A102 Watch, July 28, 2010
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
I will start with the positive first: This watch is very nice quality and looked perfect when I opened the box. The strap is hefty with 9 eyelets for wrist sizing. This watch is very easy to set and read. A great "Man's" watch.

The negative?: This is a great "Man's" watch for the man that does not want to wear it outdoors on a hiking trip or playing rugbee. After a week of wearing this watch daily I accidently brush the face of the watch against something and it scratched. The face is not made from glass but of plastic. Scratches very easily. Fortunately, for me the scratch was very small. I only wear this watch ocassionally now. I wish Bulova would of invested in a better scratch resistant watch face cover for this one.

Overall, great watch - just not made for the active man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Bulova Ordnance Watch "reissue", May 19, 2012
Tsarli (Vallejo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
This is a reasonably priced "reissue" of Bulova's Ordnance Watch from the Second World War. Like all reissue timepieces there have been alterations to suit the sensibilities of present day customers. First and foremost is the use of a battery operated quartz movement. Bulova could have opted for a mechanical movement similar to the wind up Hamilton Khakis, but then the price would probably be treble what it is. The acrylic crystal is not as domed as I would have hoped for, but it's better than having it sit flush completely with the bezel. And finally the watch is a lot larger than its original WW2 counterpart. Men's watches back then were tiny compared to today.

Setting the hands to line up with the markers can prove quite challenging. It's not impossible but is definitely a hit and miss affair. It took me several tries but they are now lined up perfectly. Even mid-tier watches like my Hamilton Khaki Quartz also suffer from this issue. This being a military watch, the dial and hands are very easy to read due to the minimalist and uncluttered look of the watch face.

The lume on the hands is excellent. Maybe not to Seiko Black Monster standards but they're quite adequate nonetheless. A nice touch is having lume on the second hand (yes it is lumed!). Though not as bright as the hour hands, it is a welcome feature.

It is often noted that the strap is not as substantial as hoped for, but for me its a minor quibble. Watch aficionados like myself will probably be changing it to a NATO, Zulu or a better canvas strap anyway.

In my opinion this watch is NOT for everyone. Folks looking for a "beater" timepiece and who wouldn't care less about this being a reissue Ordnance Watch should do themselves a favor and get something else. A Casio G-Shock Tough Solar Waveceptor perhaps? A true wear-and-forget watch. But for those searching for an inexpensive piece that harkens back to the classic look of the 30s and 40s then this watch could be for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strap fell apart quickly; can't be replaced, November 30, 2009
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
I came across these reviews after doing a google search, trying to find out where I could buy a replacement strap for this beautiful watch. My boyfriend wore his watch daily, and although he takes great care of his things, the strap is only canvas and just doesn't last that long. I imagine the people who have given this five-star reviews just got their watch; I'd give it the same if I could only order a replacement strap.

I emailed customer service at the Bulova "service & materials department" and have yet to hear back. In the meantime, I'm just searching online in hopes that there is some way to get a new one so the watch isn't useless anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, February 21, 2009
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
The delivery was fast and well done. The watch is exactly as I hoped it would look and how it looked in the web site. Super product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch. Honors WWII, October 6, 2012
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
Love the simplistic manly military style of this watch. Pays homage to WWII G.I.s and is a great watch to wear daily. I placed a leather tan NATO strap on it and it looks awesome. The canvas band still looks good but I like the look of the Nato better. Don't have one complaint about this watch. If you enjoy WWII or military history then get this watch!

2.0 out of 5 stars You can do better for the price..., December 16, 2011
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
- Cheap plastic, will scratch and crack easily
- Watch band is of poor quality and fell apart in about six months
- Better off with a cheap Timex from the local Big-Box-Store

I am writing this review after having just bought a new watch to replace this one. I bought the Bulova because of its smaller profile, canvas band, and simple display (and that I thought Bulova was a reputable, well made watch that would last). I could have bought a cheap Timex at the store, but I thought the Bulova would be a nicer watch and be worth paying two to three times the Timex price. While I was pleased with the style and appearance of this watch, I don't feel it lived up to my expectations. As has been noted, the "crystal" or face of the watch is plastic. This is made worse by the fact that it is not flush with the case, but raised, so it is easily scratched and cracked. Next, while the band is leather backed, it is of poor quality and lasted about six month before it fell apart (it actually tore at the pins by the watch case and fell off my wrist while putting on my coat).

I just replaced it with a Seiko automatic of similar style and price and I wish I had bought that watch the first time... food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Watch, September 10, 2012
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
At this price point this is one of my favorite watches. Great vintage look, and very legible. I've heard some complaints about the strap but I;ve had it about a month and I think the strap is comfortable and is holding up well. If you have any eye problems this is the watch for you, the numerals are large and even though this watch is 40mm it wears slighty larger. Overall this is a great casual watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 4, 2012
This review is from: Bulova Men's 96A102 Canvas Strap Watch (Watch)
I am really enjoying my new watch. Looks exactly like described. I have had many compliments on it already WooHoo!

Rate and Discover Movies