5.0 out of 5 stars Big and Beautiful!
Don't buy this watch if you're intimidated by large timepieces on your wrist.

Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Percise, But Hefty
Published on February 5, 2012 by Michael Kerner

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and Beautiful!, April 25, 2013
Amazon Customer (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bulova Men's 98B143 Precisionist Charcoal Grey Dial Bracelet Watch (Watch)
Don't buy this watch if you're intimidated by large timepieces on your wrist.

This stainless steel (case and bracelet) watch is formidable and simply shouts, "LOOK AT ME!" when you wear it on your wrist. The most unique feature in this price range is the smooth sweep second hand. Seiko has a smooth sweep second hand, but you're going to pay in the neighborhood of $3,000 for that watch when you can get this one for about 10 percent of that.

The hidden part may be the best. It sports a three-tined tuning fork that significantly speeds the sampling rate of the Japanese quartz movement so much that the advertised (I have no way to measure it.) accuracy of the watch is +/- 10-15 seconds PER YEAR! Wow! I don't think you can get that kind of accuracy with much more expensive wristwatches.

I have to admit, I am more attracted to a wristwatch by how it looks than by how accurate it is. It's a weakness, I know, but if you want accuracy, get an inexpensive Timex or Casio quartz watch that will serve most needs for accuracy. If you want to wear a thing of beauty, a work of art, start looking for watches like this Bulova Precisionist Champlain and you will find both accuracy and beauty in one timepiece.

I wear this Bulova almost every day. I have several good looking timepieces in my collection, but this is my favorite for daily wear. I have another Bulova Precisionist, a Longwood, that I bought on Amazon.com and wear for occasions when a dress watch is preferred. The Champlain 98B143 is more of a sports watch and it's massive. The Longwood is a dress watch with a leather strap and smaller case diameter. I prize them both for their place in my collection, i.e., the Champlain for every day, the Longwood for special occasions.

Do I recommend this watch? Sure, but don't everyone rush out, or click on the Amazon.com item, to buy it because I want to preserve the uniqueness of mine. You know, the "Nobody has a watch like this one." syndrome. You'll feel the same when you get yours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet deal!, December 12, 2013
Pros: Nice watch. Affordable and very aesthetically appealing. Precisionist movement is fantastic.

Cons: to myself it's not really a big thing, but it is heavy (1/2 pound in weight) and is very large and also if you have small wrists (I do), you have to have it resized but is easily a DIY or can be brought to a jeweler/watch repair (once again not a big deal to myself). Only thing I had negative was the shipping. I had to get a replacement ordered due to package getting lost but with Amazons superior customer service, a replacement was ordered and promptly shipped, showing great care for the customer. Well done Amazon! :)

My o

3.0 out of 5 stars Percise, But Hefty, February 5, 2012
There is no doubt that I have adored what Bulova has made some of the most well-received watches on the market. But their Percisionist line handles the best in popularity. Yet, there are few and far between models that aren't completely worth their money. This percisionist is a hefty dark colored black ion plated watch. While the watch handles well, the bracelet of the watch is honestly the heaviest that Bulova has made, and it can be very clunky on the wrist. While the movement of the watch handles well, they could've made the watch a bit lighter on the wrist, like their titanium model. Still, if you have wanted a watch as big as Invicta has made over the years, than give this Bulova Charcoal gray Percisionist a try.

Price: B-

Setup & Comfort: C+

Overall: C+

5.0 out of 5 stars Charcoal Precisionist, what more do you want?, May 16, 2014
Let me start by saying, I have a number of watches. This is actually my second precisionist. It is the exact same except in color, and I paid almost twice what I paid for this one. The watch is very heavy, some men like big heavy watches, it is bigger than it looks in the pictures. This watch will turn your arm into a weapon if you swing it right. It is very eye catching. It is also very sturdy. Black band does not look like it will easily scratch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, April 23, 2014
I Love bulova precisionist this watch is one of my favorite watches I really dig the black ones a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars A BIG success, like most Precisionists, October 19, 2014
Nothing but great things to say about this watch.

Mostly to keep it short, I echo nearly everything stated by Amazon Customer Review entitled 'Big and Beautiful'.

That said, I do not agree as much with the 'LOOK AT ME' aspect. Not everyone has a taste for large BLACK watches. More importantly you should mainly be wearing the watch because YOU love it. I wouldn't expect lots of compliments but wouldn't be surprised either. (Presumably such compliments would emanate from people who are into black watches... or gold accented ones)

There are several Precisionist watches I wouldn't mind owning. At the time I was in the market for this particular black one... however I've looked around and desire more of the models. My uncle has 96B175 which is blue-dialed, contains sub-dials, and has yellow hands.
Moral of the story: There are many many choices. Even rubber straps (98B142) and nylon straps (96B132). [As well as various and more basic models with Stainless Steel bands and/or leather bands, black or brown]

One potential 'flaw' with this watch (i.e. something I haven't become accustomed to YET) would be the thick white ticks on the bezel. A while ago I pronounced my attempt to avoid the bezels with big NUMBERS on the bezel, in 5 to 15 minute intervals. Since then I've succeeded in this, however my NEW detail to avoid might have to be these thick white tick marks. It feels like the watch would be nicer without them.

Just for fun, I'll also disagree with the description of 'CLUNKY' to describe the watch. Yes it's big, yes it's heavy... When I talk about my watches with watch people or warn someone about this detail, I always use the word 'CHUNKY'. Plus it's funnier sounding.

Something to love about the Precisionist line is the INFINITY symbol on the tail end of the second hand(s). Also, you can choose the color for your second hand (etc) by browsing the available models.

Something to note: I tend to wear a lot of black (for some reason) so this watch fits into my style niche very well. Hopefully it will do the same for you. Whether dressy or casual (for me) this watch is most always a match.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, January 26, 2013
William J Deegan Jr (Elizabeth, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I love this watch. It's beautiful. It is a little bigger than I usually wear but I personally don't think it's too big. Buy this watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bulova, April 19, 2012
Awesome watch, looks fantastic and maintains time like no other. Fully recommend this watch to guys like me with a love of classy watches

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this watch to feel pimp, June 16, 2014
Great watch, it makes me feel pimp, exactly what I was looking for I'm very happy and I definitely recommend the seller and the watch itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable beauty, September 22, 2014
Adeel (BROOKFIELD, WI, US) - See all my reviews
A very heavy durable watch. In the time since I've bought this watch Ive broken three. When I buy a watch its worn everyday. It looks great and I get lots of compliments, because of the sweeping secondhand. Only bad thing is the weight it can be a little to much.