Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on October 20, 2005
I, like another reviewer, had this book for several months before reading it due to other books on my to-do list but once I read it, enjoyed it immenseley. I'm a little puzzled by the negative reviews as they seemed to be based on either the fact that the reviewer has not read the entire series and thus, doesn't understand the characters' motivations (there's a rational reason for Miles Flint's coldness and objectivity - it was part of his tutelage from his mentor in order to survive in the RA business).

The other negative reviews appear to be based on the belief that humans will always be the dominant species in the universe. This latter premise isn't a requirement in the sci-fi genre and frankly, doesn't fly even in the Star Trek universe where species liked the Romulans, the Borg and the Klingons kicked humanity's ass on occasion. To believe that we as humans would not play in a game where the rules are draconian to us assumes that we have the option of (a) thriving in said universe without cooperating or (b) that we are not vastly outnumbered and overwhelmed by other species. I happen to think Rusch's universe is closer to what might become our reality; after all, suppose extraterresterial contact arrives on our planet first (rather than us arriving on their planet), thus demonstrating their technological superiority?

Regardless, for those readers who have read the other books in the series and are wondering about a let-down - have no fear. This installment, like others, is rich in plot, suspense, and characters and Rusch continues to paint a vivid picture as to interspecies conflict. If you haven't read any of the RA books, read the series in order - they are not standalone books. Highly recommended for the sci-fi enthusiast.
on September 29, 2005
This series continues with a book in which we deal with the Disty and Humans, with only momentary glances at other species in Rusch's universe. This makes it easier to concentrate in detail on some fine points of the alien culture. It is also easier because the previous novels have established background; for that reason, I would tell someone just discovering Rusch that this is a series best read mostly in order, so go ahead and get all the books, not just this one first. Especially, one needs some background from the novel immediately preceding this one; if you can't pick them all up right away, at least get "Consequences."

That said, let's consider the part of the plot that is this volume's alone. Mainly, it centers on the death taboos and customs of the Disty, the alien race who control Mars. These customs are extensive and nearly incomprehensible to humans, and quite complex. Some reviewers have found that point hard to swallow, complaining that it's not believable. However, two points: one, even among humans alone, we have a rule that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" and we punish people for accidentally breaking laws they didn't know existed and that no one thought to tell them. This is true across any spread of human cultures you choose to contrast. And breaking customs of another country or culture that one wasn't informed about is also quite common among humans in the real world, to the extent that people attempt to write guides to such things and all of them are inevitably described as incomplete.

Point two, the complexity and variation of the Disty death taboos and customs and rituals is not unbelievable; for an analogy, just look at the complex of laws we have surrounding marriage: thousands and thousands of different ceremonies and customs around the planet, millions of small details regarding what is expected of married couples, varying widely from religion to religion, and in the breakup of any marriage, every case varies enough to need individual adjudication, including dividing of property specific to the couple, child custody arrangements ditto, and so on. In other words, while the rituals themselves may not be comprehensible to us, and we may not agree with the Disty beliefs covering them, the number of strange, complex rituals the Disty have is quite believable, and that fact that one doesn't find out about them until a particular case occurs is something we already have experience of in human culture. (Let's try showing the Disty a Jewish wedding and a Mormon wedding, shall we, and explaining that both have to do with the same basic concept of two humans living together and probably producing offspring...)

For those new to the series, probably the level of pickiness I went into above indicates the complexity of the series, and the fullness of Rusch's universe. These are real people, with personality quirks, interactions with other fully realized people, and so on. Perhaps the selfish reporter is a bit of a stereotype, but even she has her moments, where some insight is given into the legitimate motives that might have propelled her to become the kind of reporter she is.

The development over time of the various domes on the Moon and on Mars, and how the various domes differ based on when they were built and what their original purposes were, are fascinating details of the "history" of this universe, and make for some fun speculation as to the stories behind those stories.

And, alas, as I write this just after Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita, the details of government officials not cooperating with each other, not deciding who has authority over what, the lack of funding for Noelle's security position despite its importance, and the politicians not making decisions both for lack of authority and for fear of being blamed later, all ring far too true for comfort. As do the thousands of deaths that occur because one dome had no evacuation plan in place...

I have only one complaint to make about this book: "search perimeters." Miles, among others, is described as setting "search perimeters" for his computer searches. Perhaps, if we take a rather stretchy meaning of perimeter to mean limits or boundaries, that's what the author meant. Or maybe she misused perimeters, thinking that she was using the word "parameter." Or, more likely, she wrote "search *parameters*," a common enough phrase, and some automatic copy editing quirk somewhere changed it. No matter which of these it was, it makes for an uncomfortable pause as one tries to decipher: did she do this on purpose, or by accident, or is it the publisher's fault, and if she did it on purpose, why? So I have a suggestion for Ms. Rusch: so that we don't have to wonder about that, and can concentrate on your stories, please: if you mean search "terms" or "conditions" go ahead and use those words, and if you mean search "limits" use that word; avoid parameter altogether and don't use perimeter unless you really mean the edge of a physical area that someone is patrolling. That way, people can concentrate on the story.

That said, I'm sure it will be fixed in the next edition of this volume, and hope it will be fixed in the next book in the series, which I am looking forward to and will definitely buy, because this continues to be a fascinating series.
on June 27, 2015
This series took me by surprise and I am actually purchasing these - kindle and audible - as none of the libraries around here have them. I HATE to spend money and would so rather I could get it free from the library so: FAIR WARNING - these are really addictive. Read them in order too. You will have to have them all. Oh my purse is groaning! and yeah I am posting this same review for each book I've bought so far as it applies to most.
on March 13, 2006
In science fiction I look for original premise, good story, believable science (within the universe described) and interesting characters. I want to be entertained but not confused by inconsistencies. KKR does an outstanding job of entertaining me. The world she has created and its characters are consistent, sensible to that world, and unique. I have read all four books and this is one of the best. The reactions of the Disty is both unfathomable and logical--just as some human cultures are to me.
on November 10, 2015
An extraordinarily griping tale from first word to last word! It amazed me with depth of clashing cultures politics, individuals ,death, possibilities of war ,gruesome death and torture on all sides, mysteries not solved till the last page. Left me aching for a sequel and more by this author!
on July 25, 2005
I have had this book for a few weeks and had put off reading it because of the poor reviews. Hoping that Rusch hadn't finally let me down, I read it last night. The book is as good as the rest of the series. I'm just not sure that the other reviewers have read the rest of the series. Personally, I like the Retrieval Artist books because humans aren't the biggest bad in the galaxy. Humans in these books have to try to get along and work around the cultural hang-ups located in alien cultures while trying to maintain our own nature and culture. Humans in these books work with (or around- hence the need for the Retrieval Artist) the alien cultures and try to respect them (within reason- therein lays the conflict or narrative hook necessary for a good book) and not just saying the universe is wrong and humans are always right (or we will blow you up).
on January 19, 2015
This is my second reading of the Retrieval Artist series of books and I must say, I enjoyed it the first time but the second was far better. The attention to detail and the story telling is fantastic.

If you like SF and detective novels, you need to read this series.
on February 25, 2014
I have already noted that Rusch has no faith that human negotiators will be able to write equitable treaties with aliens. Multicultural tribunals, reading the agreements, condemn individuals to horrible punishments. Here, as humans trade and interact socially, they are bound to break alien laws- in this case, treatment of the dead. And the aliens, named Disty, do not like it one bit.
This story, separate groups- the coroner, the police, negotiators for the Earth Alliance, and a particular pesky reporter- are concerned with the discovery of human remains on Mars. -no, aliens in a mass psychosis. -or is it a Disty vengeance killing? -or evidence of a long-ago atrocity?
If an alien culture wants to punish a single or a group of humans for a perceived insult, then politicians haggle and administrators will despair. It takes a wily retrieval artist to salvage the situation.
Watch Miles Flint get to the bottom of it all.
Start the series with The Disappeared: A Retrieval Artist novel.
on April 29, 2013
The problem here is that they were not buried deeply enough! They should have incinerated the remains, unless... It all turns on alien customs and reactions. I strongly feel that the series is worth reading (I keep checking for new books) and that you should read it in chronological order...
on February 4, 2013
Between my brother gifting me most of the Retrieval Artist series and my buying the few that he missed, I now own the entire series and I could read it all every year and find it just as fascinating. Russ is amazing with characterization, detail, worldview, plot, action, tension.... I'll be buying her other series as well.