4.0 out of 5 stars Dig Up a Copy of Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas, August 5, 2009
Billzilla (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas (Paperback)
Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas is a collection of 12 horror tales loosely connected by their setting: the fictional East Texas town of Pinebox. From Skinwalkers to Ghosts and from Aliens to Werewolves, Pinebox seems to have it all, as well as one of the worst cases of denial in recorded history. Produced by 12 to Midnight, Tales of Pinebox is inspired by the modern, pen and paper RPG horror setting of the same name, also produced by 12 to Midnight.

First we have The Jennifer Ridge Transcripts, the notes of a reporter visiting Pinebox to find out more about the town and to advance her own agenda as well. This piece is unaccredited, having been collected from several sources and posted to the 12 to Midnight website as a prelude/inspiration for the short story collection itself. Closing out the volume is a likewise unaccredited section of newspaper-style clippings, highlighting events from the stories in the form of news items from an unidentified source. These clippings are intentionally vague, giving the reader the impression -- having read a more detailed account of the events described - that there may be cover-ups involved, or at best a serious lack of publicly revealed information.

The majority of the authors represented in Buried Tales are best known from the gaming industry - both tabletop and computer/console games: Jess Hartley, Shane Lacy Hensley, Monica Valentinelli, J.D. Wiker, Jason L. Blair, Filamena Young, Preston DuBose, Charles Rice, Trey Gorden and Ed Wetterman. Rounding out the list are novelists David Wellington and Derek Gunn. All are experienced writers and it shows; the stories are polished and smooth, with no rough spots to interrupt the flow.

Of all the tales, I enjoyed Pie, The Evil Within, and The Witch of Linda Lane the most. Pie is a tale that, among other things, warns us to be careful what we eat. The Evil Within points out that monsters can lurk in the heart of anyone, and The Witch of Linda Lane is a curious tale that left me wondering if there really was anything supernatural or evil at work in the story at all.

Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas is a very solid collection of horror tales; Editor Matt McElroy has put together a strong slate of writers to chill our hearts. One doesn't have to be a gamer to appreciate them or enjoy the shivers they send up the reader's spine. If you're like me, what the stories will do is inspire you to learn more about the setting, hoping to discover additional such interesting tidbits to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Digging Up, September 2, 2009
I've always been a fan of horror-based short stories. When I was a kid I tore through all the Stephen King collections, like Night Shift and many others. Over the years though I've moved on to focus quite a bit of my reading time on longer, novel-sized fare. Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas|marks my return to reading short stories, and after reading this collection, I remember why I am much more a fan of horror as a short-story form than in a novel.

The stories in the collection come from a varied group of quite talented writers, but all take place in a town called Pinebox, Texas. The setting is actually based on a game, but as I've never played the game I really don't have any comment on to how the two work in tandem with each other. What I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed this book even without any additional knowledge of the setting. Each author used the rules of the setting that they were given beforehand quite well, however - and what we are presented with is a fairly disturbing set of stories that take place in one pretty messed up town that remains believable as a real place, even with each author's different take on the setting.

Absolutely recommended to any fans of short-form horror.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short story collection., February 18, 2013
It's a very nice collection of horror stories, with a lot of different mixed and interesting themes and characters, so you don't feel like it just bumps against the same monsters over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, August 19, 2009
This review is from: Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas (Paperback)
I can't say enough about the quality of work that has gone into writing this book. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I absolutely loved it. I recommend it to anyone that enjoys fantasy and horror.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, April 24, 2014
I enjoyed all the related stories in this book, would like to read more. I am glad I bought it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream come true..., July 23, 2009
This review is from: Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas (Paperback)
I said a "dream come true" because I grew up writing short stories with one of the book's authors, Preston Paul DuBose. In all honesty, I haven't read any of the other short stories, but I know the authors must be great for Paul to be associated with them.

If you live in a small town, or near a small town or have ever been through a small town, you'll enjoy the stories. Every small town has stories...mysteries that no one knows the answer to. Residents of a small town also know just how much they can tell outsiders before they've said too much...

Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas
Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas by Derek Gunn (Paperback - June 1, 2009)
$11.99 $10.35
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.