Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on March 19, 2014
This book represents state of the art information on how to approach hoarding. It is directed at a self-help audience but can also be used with a support group. I am a psychologist and work with people who have the problem and it was useful to read but the Kindle version is not ideal for the person trying to use it themselves. The book has a number of places where you need to answer some questions. They do not show up well in the Kindle version and of course there is no way to record your answer in the book.
22 comments63 of 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2014
This is a book for those of us with serious "stuff" problems who are determined to de-clutter. Open and frank about the hard work of "letting go" of treasures.
0Comment44 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2014
This is very good. I need this book so that I can rethink my need to keep everything. I am not that bad yet, but somehow I can't put everything away in a 2500 sq. ft. house.
on February 16, 2014
This book and the Workbook were recommended to me by a psychologist. I'm reading it in preparation for getting into some "hoarding" specific counseling. It based on the latest research-based information. I already have gained a lot of insights and practical stratigies I'm putting to use. I can' t wait to get my "house in order" (physically and emotionally). With theis book, workbook and counseling, I am super optimistic!
11 comment33 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2014
This book was very helpful in understanding and giving insight in to the cluttering behavior of a close relative. Actual scientific observations of behavioral differences were very helpful. Good to keep referring back to for effective coping strategies. Felt much more hopeful after reading and not nearly as despairing. Now, if only I could get my relative to read it!
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2014
Practical, gentle, informative, life-altering...for people overwhelmed with too much stuff and acquiring additional stuff. The boxes for others involved (family member, friends, coach, etc), open new types of communication that shift awareness and support dynamics. Become differently aware of who you are among your excess of treasures.
on December 22, 2013
The book is relatively easy to read and understand. The self-assessments are good. I am not sure that the chapter order is the best order for actual reading. I guess it can be different from person to person. The "negative" chapters might not be so helpful right at the beginning of the book. Some good motivators can be more helpful.
on April 28, 2014
Like the writers say, reading this book will not stop you from hoarding, but this is a very good first step. Also excellent information if your family member or friend has hoarding symptoms.
on July 17, 2015
This book was very helpful, even from the perspective of having started treatment before I read this. It helped me see areas where I was still minimizing/rationalizing (e.g. in the amount of messiness/chaos I had permitted to accumulate). It also helped me identify better some of the underlying beliefs I was still hanging on to. Their discussion of why you hoard is superb, as was their discussion of the connection between hoarding, shame, and perfectionism.

I would've liked to see more discussion of exposure and ritual prevention, which has been hugely important to my recovery.

The authors freely admit that you won't be "cured" simply by going through this book (which I wasn't). You really do have to do the exercises they suggest. Personally, I found that this book helped me know where to focus in my recovery; for example, I need to work on prioritization and decision-making. Before I'd let mail keep accumulating simply because I had a hard time making decisions about what was relevant and what to do with it.

If you're looking to start your recovery or just "re-focus" and understand what you still need to work on, this book is a great starting point.
on April 14, 2014
I enjoyed the book. Good inspiration for cleaning up your mess! I did not care for all the questionaires though--I skimmed over them very quickly.